Thread: Gas Leak

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap

Gas Leak

So about a week ago i started noticing gas in the drains on my street that lead to my car. So I put a piece of plywood under it to locate the leak location and then when i figured that out I put a bowl there to see how much gas was coming out. So only after I park my car and turn the engine off gas leaks near the rear of the engine towards the drivers side and only for a few minutes. When it leaks it isn’t a constant leak but it sounds like the engine is taking breaths and when those breaths happen gas dribbles out of it. It’s only for a few minutes and not much gas comes out but it’s something I would like to fix sooner rather than later. Thank you for any help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Driver's side is where two rubber hoses join the hard lines under the body with the fuel rail. Check the clamps and consider replacing the lines with generic fuel hose - NOT HEATER HOSE - from a parts store (IIRC they are 8mm. 5/16" is close enough).
    Last edited by moroza; 01-20-2019 at 01:06 AM.

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap
    I will have to check tomorrow after work, hopefully its nothin major

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    It's an old car - replace all rubber anything, especially fuel hoses under the hood that when leaking could start a fire. Hopefully it's a hose and not the pressure reg itself.
    You're leaking a lot more fuel than what gets on the ground because a lot of it is probably evaporating on the hot engine.
    Last edited by fo3; 01-20-2019 at 05:02 AM.

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap
    Im gonna go ahead and replace all my fuel lines, does anyone know how much line I would need and what rubber hoses I would need. Im thinkin of replacin most with 8mm copper. What other parts would i need?

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap

Replacing gas lines

I want to replace all the gas lines in my 95 530i, what is everything i would need in terms if tools and materials. Ive done research but i want to make sure i have everything before i start.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Soft lines? Generic 8mm or 5/16" fuel hose (NOT HEATER HOSE!). Hard lines? 8mm hard line and a tubing bender, but if they aren't rusty or damaged, leave them alone. They're a hassle to replace (subframe and exhaust have to be lowered or removed), let alone fabricate.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    2 threads with your gas problem merged
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Gas is running in the street and your first course of action is ask on the internet?
    Have you actually looked for where this may be coming from?
    Open the hood, this is the large panel in front, covering the engine (device that motivates the car) look for leaking fuel in an area that corresponds with the location of the wetness under the car. Crawl under the car and look for same.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1995 530i E34 M62 Swap
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Gas is running in the street and your first course of action is ask on the internet?
    Have you actually looked for where this may be coming from?
    Open the hood, this is the large panel in front, covering the engine (device that motivates the car) look for leaking fuel in an area that corresponds with the location of the wetness under the car. Crawl under the car and look for same.

Lol just saw this but thank you for the helpful advice ross. Actually the first thing I did when I saw the gas leak was go buy a pack of smokes and light one up while the gas was coming out of my engine. Unfortunately this only caused the already leaked gas to ignite and only give me third degree burns on my face but no where else . Hopefully I crash my car and die because I’m such a tard for asking advice on the internet on a bmw forum for people asking advice and such even though I spent over an hour under the car trying to locate and recreate the leak before posting. I decided to rerun all my soft lines but I wish I read this before because your comment would’ve helped me so much more with my problem.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Hi Fresco,
    You took my snide comments with good humor. Glad you survived the conflagration.
    So, I guess you found this big leak(s) looking with your own two eyes.
    welcome aboard
    Last edited by ross1; 02-04-2019 at 09:13 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue