Thread: Montreal blue M52 turbo

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo

Montreal blue M52 turbo

I wasn't able to change the title of my previous thread, but I would like to track my progress here.
    mainly because I am upgrading now to a different turbo.
    So I start a new thread with a less obnoxious title (who cares about check ups and CO%).

After my M51 diesel powered e28 got totaled, I used the insurance money to buy a car I wanted since my dad had one when I was around 10:
    an e46 330ci. imported a black M-sport version from germany, only to get bored of it real soon.
    somehow I found myself reminising over my old e36 328i.

it wasn't untill I was washing my 330ci and a e36 325i was in the washbox next to me that I found myself searching "marktplaats.nl"
    (dutch version of graigslist) for e36's.

I found one, a turbo charged '96 328i.
    E36 328i, which now has:
    -cometic MLS headgasket
    -mosselman turbo systems with a Garret GT28 42A/R turbo, 0.75bar of boost (getting an SPA and HX35)
    -8A6G-AA Fomoco injectors build to 440cc
    -innovate scg1 boost controller.
    -350z maf with resistor
    -BOV to atmosphere
    -in desperate need of a tune.

I spend some time away from home for work and I used my spare time there to get acqainted with Romraider and the MS41 ECU.
    and got it running well.

some pictures:

I'm his favorite uncle now.

It was nice, took it for a road trip during the summer with my wife. and enjoyed it.

In the beginning of october I took my car out driving, and picked up a friend who ownes an S2000.
    He told me that it didn't feel quicker than his Honda.
    couldn't really let it slide, and that night I took a look at all the logs that I made during the summer.

with 200CEL cat, my load and airflow was like this (not real numbers due to the MS41 load limit):

as you can see, between ~2000 and ~4000 the GT28 could deliver a decent amount of torque. but after that it was done.
    It felt like a diesel. also, from my knock retard readings I could tell that the back pressure from the GT28 was to much.
    at 0.8 bar of boost I had almost no timing left BTDC.

So I bought a used HX35 with a 12cm^2 turbine housing, took it apart and changed parts that needed to be changed.

HX35 next to the GT28

at first I wanted to make it work with the Mosselman manifold and the exhaust I allready had.
    but after some test fitting, and no possibility for wastegate placement, i decided to go SPA:

fitment problems with the mosselman mani

SPA

And go 3inch front to back, but keep my supersprint muffler. (2x 2,5inch). I never TIG welded before, but I could use the TIG welder of a friend
    who build this Jaguar among a whole lot of other stuff:
    https://www.supercars.net/blog/2000-...xk180-concept/

I can't weld, I'm learning by trial and error, with error taking up the majority of my time

But, here I am today:

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo

to wet/cold to work on it now.

My Cars
    '96 328i w/ M50B25 turbo
    niiice, almost got the same car. bought as M52B28 with a K24 charger and felt like a diesel
    now upgrade on M50TU forged and Schwitzer S2B failed (block has two holes now), so its getting stock M50NV.

Also planning to use HARD fenders, that seem to look exactly like yours. nice car!

oh and if youre looking for a tune, look for tim maatman, this guy has built a 800hp M50 for a guy i know recently, and it worked without problems the whole season.
    Last edited by mr10ger; 01-23-2019 at 04:51 PM.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    Thanks!

Will you still use the S2B?
    Any idea on how much power you made on that?

My goal is +-400hp. as you can see in the logs I made a decent amount of torque down low with the GT28, and the M52 was ok with that.
    If I can keep that amount of torque to much hight in the RPM's I will be happy. I will have to deliver something in torque down low, but I am ok with that.

I have seen tim on instagram and like his work! I have tuned my car with Romraider last year, and have a tune now that will support the HX35 as well.
    I just hope my bigger exhaust housing will deliver less backpressure which will let me run a bit more timing, and keep my engine healthy.

Better powerband, no knock and about 400hp, that is the goal.
    hopefully I can take it on a tour through the Eifel area this year.

My Cars
    '96 328i w/ M50B25 turbo
    I've made over 500Nm and 300hp with the K24 @0.65 bar on Stock rods, lower compression pistons, stock headgasket and everything else afaik (didnt build that engine myself).

The setup with the s2b only ran for about 20km on 0,5 bar. Made a whole lot of air mass, we used the mapping from a friend who used a china charger (gt30/35 something i think) and had to add fuel from when the charger started boosting. I think we had 0,5 bar at something around 2000 rpm with 1.0 A/r and custom made tube manifold (rewelded M52 manifold).
    As the turbine wheel shows no damage from piston parts or something i will use it again. We were pretty surprised of how well it responded.

The guy i mentioned pulled 950hp yesterday btw

Bigger hot side will surely reduce backpressure and therefor knocking. Even though the spa manifold is not the best flowing one. M52 stock and manifold should start to max out at around 400hp so it should be okay.

My Cars
    e36 328i turbo
    know why your s2b setup blew up?

I read here that the SPA is actually very well designed, flowing pretty good as well (for a cast manifold).
    but also, I would like to see a wide powerband, for spool you need backpressure.

When I got it alle together, I will post some logs about airflow from the HX35. i'm curious how it will perform with the SPA.
    I am one more weld away from finishing my exhaust, but I would like to send my turbo for a rebuild/balancing.

plan is to have it all running in april!

where in germany do you live?

My Cars
    '96 328i w/ M50B25 turbo
    We can not be 100% sure but we think that the timing chain hopped and the valves hit the piston. Chain tensioner started making noise before it happened...

Im living in munich