My Cars
    x5 E70 3.0

Help E10 Torx With OIl Filter Housing Bolt Removal !!!

Hi everyone,

Can anyone help me - last week I was trying to replace my oil filter housing gaskets on my 2009 X5 E70 3.0 and I have run into some trouble with the dreaded E10 torx bolt that is located at the rear of the oil filter housing just beneath the intake manifold.

After doing some research I used the e10 torx on a wobble with a couple of 1/4 inch extensions to remove the bolt however it must have been over torqued in the past and instead of the bolt coming out easily the head ended up getting stripped to the point where I cannot catch it any more with the torx. (See pic attached )

Now I am left with a dilemma of what to do to remove it.....as I am sure most of you know there is very little room to get vice grips in there let alone a drill.

My only thought is to remove the intake manifold in order to spray the bolt down with some PB blaster and then grip it with some vice grips. Or alternatively if I can get a drill in there I can use a removal tool.

Does anyone have any other recommendations or ideas?

Ideally I would prefer not to remove the intake manifold as I have never done it before but will attempt if it is my only choice. If it is my only choice does anyone have any detailed step by step instructions on how to do it on my engine or even better any good you tube videos?

I hope the above makes sense and I look forward to receiving your responses soon.

Thanks,

Alex

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Remove the manifold the bolt might just thread out now and remove the oil filter housing then if there are threads above the surface you have some thing to grab on to