This is going to sound like a very stupid, simple question to ask but I've searched my arse off and it seems people skip right over this.

I have an 02 E39 M5. I bought the blue cable from bcables.com, and I believe I have my Windows 10 64 bit laptop setup with all the software from bmwtools successfully (they all launch correctly).

I connected the blue cable to the usb port (made sure that com1 and latency=1 was set). The laptop identifies the cable as connected.

Without the cable connected to the car, when I launch Inpa, it shows a black dot for battery AND Ignition on. Is this normal?

Also, to do anything with NCS Expert (I'm looking to make a replacement LCM mileage match the cluster mileage). What sequence of programs do I launch? Does Ediabas/BMWTool have to be running in the background first before I launch NCS Expert?

The car is not nearby for me to test, but I'll try testing it on my E46 330i tomorrow when I'm home. Just hoping someone knows this stuff and can clear it up - didn't want to hurt anything.

Thanks!