RM European Auto Parts

Thread: I got a question

My Cars
    Bmw e46

I got a question

I do have a oil leak from front of engine I know that my rocker cam cover is bad but since I'll be able to buy one next month I was told it can actually blow my head gasket is that true? Because the mechanic has a rocker cam cover for sale but that one a vacuum leak

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    No, a cracked valve cover can't cause your head gasket to fail.

By far the most common cause of head gasket failure is overheating.

Please always tell us about the car, when asking a question: Year, model, mileage, etc. are very important.

I think you should find a different mechanic, if this one tells you " a cracked valve cover will blow your head gasket....and by the way, I have one for sale."

Oil leaks from valve covers are not uncommon, but usually, it's a bad gasket, not a bad valve cover. You might want to try replacing the gasket set, and the 15 rubber grommets which seal the bolts.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    Bmw e46
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    No, a cracked valve cover can't cause your head gasket to fail.

By far the most common cause of head gasket failure is overheating.

Please always tell us about the car, when asking a question: Year, model, mileage, etc. are very important.

I think you should find a different mechanic, if this one tells you " a cracked valve cover will blow your head gasket....and by the way, I have one for sale."

Oil leaks from valve covers are not uncommon, but usually, it's a bad gasket, not a bad valve cover. You might want to try replacing the gasket set, and the 15 rubber grommets which seal the bolts.
    Hello and thank you and sorry forgot to put details of my car it is 325ci bmw E46 2001 petrol automatic mileage is at 143,391

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Thanks, my information was accurate then. I know that in England there were 4-cylinder E46's, even diesel E46's, neither of which were available on this side of the pond.

The only time I've ever known that engine's valve cover to crack is when someone tightened down a single bolt before starting and then snugging all of them together. You can actually hear this....all the way across the shop, when a new guy is working on his first BMW.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    Bmw e46
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Thanks, my information was accurate then. I know that in England there were 4-cylinder E46's, even diesel E46's, neither of which were available on this side of the pond.

The only time I've ever known that engine's valve cover to crack is when someone tightened down a single bolt before starting and then snugging all of them together. You can actually hear this....all the way across the shop, when a new guy is working on his first BMW.
    Well he actually could have done it since he was the one who fixed my oil leak in first place since then oil keeps coming out of front right side of engine I'll order new one next month and find a different mechanic, my is 6 cylinder engine