Thread: Finding filter room

My Cars
    1987 325 convertible

Finding filter room

What’s up folks?so I bought this e30 convertible with turbo added to original m20 motor.it runs great but it has no air cleaner.theres very little space to put one but specter performance has a little 2 1/2 inch tall x 6” dia. Cone type filter with inner cone for added area.question is will this thing be too small?...other option might be inline duct from high beam light hole...but I don’t think it will fit.if I use the universal clamp on specter,would there be any benefit to opening up the headlight just to let air in the engine bay?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry,I guess part of the question is do you get anything out of supplying cooler air for a turbo.i know compressing it will heat it anyway but?....

- - - Updated - - -

And could adding a small filter starve the turbo. Or will it reduce boost?could it work the turbo too hard?right now I rely on the wastegate spring to control boost so it’s not turned up any by any controller.

My Cars
    E21 M50 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Oodlelallee View Post
    What’s up folks?so I bought this e30 convertible with turbo added to original m20 motor.it runs great but it has no air cleaner.theres very little space to put one but specter performance has a little 2 1/2 inch tall x 6” dia. Cone type filter with inner cone for added area.question is will this thing be too small?...other option might be inline duct from high beam light hole...but I don’t think it will fit.if I use the universal clamp on specter,would there be any benefit to opening up the headlight just to let air in the engine bay?
    Pics please of your build and said filter. most m20 bays offer enough room, there are applications tho without enough space, especially with big turbos and smaller chassis.

do you get anything out of supplying cooler air for a turbo.i know compressing it will heat it anyway but?....
    You do. Feeding it with already pre heated air will make things worse, of course.

And could adding a small filter starve the turbo. Or will it reduce boost?could it work the turbo too hard?right now I rely on the wastegate spring to control boost so it’s not turned up any by any controller.
    Too small of a filter can cause restriction and have a negative impact on spool up and top end power as well as reducing the turbos overall efficiency. Almost any filter will give you a negative impact on power, but most of our street / daily / modest power builds dont really need to squeeze out every bit of it and since most turbos are not that cheap running a filter is reasonable.
    1982 E21 323i
    M50B25 Turbo
    Borg Warner S362 SX-E
    ECU Master Emu