Thread: 2000 528i throttle issue

My Cars
    99 m3

2000 528i throttle issue

There is no CEL but today when I started the car there was a light on the dash that said EML and the car (automatic) wouldn't accelerate more than 10mph. I did a quick search and it sounds like the throttle body needs to be replaced. The OEM part is very expensive (> $700). I found used ones for about $120 on ebay. The mechanic said $170 for labor so I did some youtube and it looks doable.

He also said to first try replacing the MAF sensor. But from my search I did not see results relating to that. And since there is no CEL I can't get a code to determine the issue exactly. I'm also somewhat nervous replacing the throttle body because I recall reading something about it is sensitive and if I move a flap or something I will ruin things big time. What suggestions/advice do you have for me? I don't want to replace it myself, but if I save $170 then I'll do it. Also, is it even worth getting a used one as the issue could arise again? But then again, I'm not spending > $700 for a new piece. Thanks

Edit: Code P1580!
    Last edited by Mtorque6; 01-18-2019 at 05:01 PM.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    your engine went in to fail safe with the EML light, most likely you got the ASC light as well when trying to drive it. maf being bad isnt very probable for an EML light. that you had the EML light, there is a code set. read or get the code(s) read and post em here. possible problems to check first....dirty throttle body, binding or loose throttle cable. removing and reinstalling the throttle body is an easy enough DIY, whether you replace or reinstall same part, use a new TB gasket.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    You definitely need to get the codes read and posted here. It could be any of a number of issues. The Throttle body on the '99 & '00 cars (different from earlier and later models) are indeed problematic, but replacing it with diagnosing it could result in overpaying for unnecessary parts. Read up on the MDK (throttle body) and the M52TU engine for explanations of the throttle body issue.

My Cars
    99 m3
    Code P1580

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Already replied on the other forum...

Code P1580 indicates the throttle is mechanically stuck. This is often caused by dirt, gunk on the throttle plates and cables.

So, BEFORE you spend hundreds of dollars on a throttle body replacement, try to clean your throttle plates and cable connections with CRC. Liberally douse it with CRC, wipe it with a clean towel, and let it dry. Then reset the adaptations, and test again.
    And no, you do not have to remove it from the engine to clean it.

Same with the MAF. Clean it before you decide it needs replacement. Also, inspect and replace your engine air filter.
    Last edited by Chedley; 01-18-2019 at 06:14 PM.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    moving the throttle plate wont ruin it, just be gentle, dont let it snap shut on its own.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto

2000 528i throttle issue

I Second the effduration comment. Post codes do tests.

I dropped 650 on a mdk thinking it was a Coin toss so I had at least 50/50 . ends up it was the wiring harness . Could be a number of things,

1200 later and many weeks waiting, I wish I had simply bought another multimeter, read up a bit more and done a legit bench test of the mdk....cuz now I have 3.

That said it’s nice knowing there’s a new harness and a new tb.., and spares to boot ... but still...would lrather have liked to spend that cash on my trifecta situation ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bjornk; 01-18-2019 at 10:12 PM.

My Cars
    2000 E39. MS52TU, auto
    Sorry didn’t see codes....hmmm why is it stuck?

My throttle Bowden cable disintegrated in my hands,,, but actually replacing it didn’t solve anything, there’s a slick silicone looking sleeve that seems to keep it working in spite of how it looks.... I thought of lubing it...but was afraid I might weaken plastic. And by the time you wrestle that thing off, you might as well replace it if you value your time...

I see a lot of dudes talking about spraying crap into the throttle while running it. I personally would not. Why so all that crud can get sucked in your intake? Its pretty easy to remove the mdk.

Especially once you’ve done it a few times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The crud builds up over the years in throttle body, the plate can stick, clean it and see what happens

My Cars
    99 m3
    Okay, so I removed the intake system and cleaned the throttle body with some carb cleaner. Yes, there was a lot of carbon buildup! After putting it back together and starting up, there was a kind of a lightly rough idle at the beginning, but after taking it for a spin everything sounds/feels okay!

The EML light and traction control lights are gone, but the service engine light is still there.

Also, I didn't remove the TB. I just left it on and cleaned it. However, initially, it was pretty difficult to push open. And when I finally did get it open... water!! Like, a decent amount too. Wtf? Does it have something to do with white smoke intermittently coming out of the tail pipe? I noticed the white smoke coming out of the tail pipe the very first time right before the EML/throttle issue first arose. But again, this is intermittent, and NOT necessarily when the car is cold. So any ideas/tips/suggestions? I poured some injector cleaner in for now. Maybe down the line I will do spark plugs, air filter, and clean the MAF sensor.

Thanks for the help so far!

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Okay. This may clear up your throttle issue for a while. In my experience, the MDK (throttle body) clean process usually only lasts for a while. In these '99 - '00 cars, the MDK and related wiring is a major weak point. The MDK will fail and the wiring harness also fails. As noted above, the ultimate fix is to replace the engine harness with a new one. Except there are not many new ones left in the U.S., and they are like $600-$700 from the dealer (they can probably be ordered). I have used MDK and a used harness as a back-up. There is also a specific procedure for both re-connecting the round connector to the MDK and to reset throttle adaptations (you will need to look them up if/when), but since you did not remove the MDK, you should be fine for now.

As for the water in the MDK that is a problem. Is there any chance the area under your brake booster is clogged/ filled with water? If so, water can get through the brake booster vacuum line and into the Throttle body. If this were the case, i think you would have brake pblms, but please check ASAP. Pull the drivers side cabin air filter box and look underneath.

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    I had to replace the throttle body on my 00 528it. I was chasing it for a couple of years as the codes were pretty cryptic and it was only an occasional problem, less than 10 times total over 80K, so not an easily repeatable everyday problem.

P1542 Pedal Position Sensor Electrical

Stored:
    P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error

Pending:
    P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected

It was spotlessly clean. Checking with a meter showed nothing, nice clean sweeps with no dropouts or hickups. Finally replaced it with a junkyard one, from one of the years on Car-part.com and that took care of it. The replacement actually didn't look as nice, not as clean, but worked flawlessly. $75 not including the hair I pulled out trying to figure it out.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    99 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Pull the drivers side cabin air filter box and look underneath.
    Okay, I did this but there was nothing there!