Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering low 58K mile 07 525 like new as daily driver - incl some pics-advice pls

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG

Considering low 58K mile 07 525 like new as daily driver - incl some pics-advice pls

Hi,

Not so quick note, I am not a stranger to older cars but typically do not do work myself and do not own diagnostic tools. Never really find the time to but I have changed spark plugs, filters, and can swap a radio... Live in South Florida. Currently own 88 E24 M6. Also a 89 E30 325ix Dinan Turbo which my mechanic has been restoring all mechanicals & suspension for almost two years now. The E30ix was originally going to be my DD hence why I've had him go through it all but plans may be changing. The E30 . is just about ready, we are testing now. I may be in need of a more highway friendly vehicle for what may soon be a 2 hour commute daily (1 hour each way with 98% of it highway).

So what brings me here.... I came across a real nice E60 that really is like new (I am for fussy that most, rarely using the term like new).
    2007 525i (no mods) production date 10/15/06
    One Owner in service date 11/17/2006
    58,859 miles

documented
    White on Auburn Dakota Leather interior
    Premium Package
    Automatic
    All books, documents and Window Sticker
    100% original factory paint
    No scuffs, dings or even any stone chips
    No wheel rash but could benefit from new tires
    Only signs of aging on the exterior is that it looks like the side turn signal markers have yellowed a bit but not sure if thats how they were when new
    Interior is perfect with the driver seat showing some (but barely any signs) of use on seat bottom and thats me unable to say its like new
    Always stored inside climate controlled garage
    Car Fax provided and clean
    Dealer Serviced

Maintenance history (All at BWM Dealer)
    Regular services & oil and fluid changes (I wont list these)
    Intake Silencer serviced in 11/2009
    Wipers replaced 09/2010
    Cabin Air Filter replaced 11/2010
    Hood insulator replaced 11/2010
    Break flush 11/2010
    New Battery 12/2010 again in 2017
    New Radiator 01/2011
    BMW Dealer Service inspection in 10/2017 at 58,783 miles
    Car has been barley used from 2011 to 2016
    200 miles usage from 2016 to today
    PVC Recall not yet done

Car runs really smooth at all times and as designed.

Only issue is new and just presented itself this week. Its barely moved 200 miles in past two years but works when last used. The owner is addressing before the sale. We are currently trouble shooting what it is. The AC compressor will not kick on. Blower blows, heat works, etc. The freon pressure was tested and shows just shy of 110lbs on the high and 100lbs on the low. If its due to low pressure we don't want to just add freon as it low there must be a reason for it. Would doubt its evaporator as the car has low miles and always stored indoors every day during the day and in the evenings.

I would prefer not get into car payments at this time so looking for something safe, hope reliable, good on gas miles thats better than a heavy SUV, not tiny in size and enjoyable to drive.

So my question, could this particular E60 example suit my needs as a daily driver that will now see regular use? Can in its current low mile excellent condition but 2007 age be a reliable daily car. I read though some of the other threads on "should I buy" with remarks on lots of maintenance upkeep needs but most or actually all examples referenced are with much higher mileage and aged wear. I know age usually plays into the equation and not always just mileage but the age wear on this particular car appears very low with 58K miles. I know no one has a crystal ball, but can it be reasonable to expect 2 good years of 200 miles a day six days a week. Aprox 40,000 miles a year. My expected increased mileage usage for work of 130 miles a day would also highway. I prefer not to lease a car if I'll be putting close to 40K miles a year and do not want to drive a Carola or Civic. I've owned those in the past. What about timing chain, water pump, valve cover gasket, and injectors. Are these expected regardless of the really gentle 58K miles use?
    Lastly, what is a fair price for BOTH the seller and I? I do expect the purchase price to be higher than the average E60's out there.

Thanks in advance for input.

Max
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by maxg765; 01-21-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    Regards

Max
    ---------------
    88 BMW M6 60,000 original Miles or 97,000KM's (Canadian spec example)
    89 BMW 325ix Dinan Turbo 69000 original Miles
    72 Triumph STAG 37000 original Miles

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG

More Pics

More Pics
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    2007 530xi 6 spd.manual
    Quote Originally Posted by maxg765 View Post

So my question, could this particular E60 example suit my needs?

Max
    LOL, if that's your only question, I think only YOU can answer that! Has your mechanic seen the car? What is his opinion? I'd start there.
    2007 530xi, Black Metallic Sapphire, 6 speed manual, Sport package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Sirius Satellite Radio, MTech front bumper, Replica Style 166 wheels

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    Quote Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
    LOL, if that's your only question, I think only YOU can answer that! Has your mechanic seen the car? What is his opinion? I'd start there.
    LOL I expanded my question some. Aside from the AC my mechanic has not had it on a lift yet but the dealer that did the late 2017 inspection is also my dealer. That report was clean with no recommended needs beyond the expected service preformed. It will be looked at but both he an I do not anticipate seeing anything beyond what we see on the surface with the exception of him suggesting that the breaks may be on the way to needing replacement with the 58K miles along with already knowing the tires could use replacement.
    Last edited by maxg765; 01-18-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    1987 M6
    Yours sounds like a real winner, and you are no stranger to vehicles that need TLC to stay healthy. We love driving our E61, and it was well cared for early in its life. However, the AC pump, fuel pumps, starter, coolant reservoir, valve cover, oil pan, and oil filter housing gasket all started failing, and required replacing starting at 100K miles. I still need to replace the intelligent battery cable, which is a $300 part.

The example you found looks great. I'd change transmission fluid now (I would normally say 65-75K), and set a kitty of about $3k aside for parts/service if big stuff comes up. If ANYTHING is weird with the transmission/shifting, you need to immediately service the valve body. That is the single costliest issue that seems to be common to the E60/61 platform. If your trunk hydraulic lift pump leaks, you can just refill for a few dollars and things are fine. You will get a few years solid driving, but be ready for major stuff at that 100K mark.

Just make sure there are NO water leaks into the trunk, move the electronics out of the spare tire bay, and enjoy.

I have to admit it just does not seem to be a good money decision to buy a modern, used BMW. Way too much really expensive stuff to go wrong. If you really gotta have a BMW, and a reasonable car payment could work, I highly recommend you look at CPO. When our E61 needs replacing, that is what we plan to do, and we will really want an extended warranty on it.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Rear bumper repainted? Reflectors are painted.

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    Quote Originally Posted by DaHose View Post
    Yours sounds like a real winner, and you are no stranger to vehicles that need TLC to stay healthy. We love driving our E61, and it was well cared for early in its life. However, the AC pump, fuel pumps, starter, coolant reservoir, valve cover, oil pan, and oil filter housing gasket all started failing, and required replacing starting at 100K miles. I still need to replace the intelligent battery cable, which is a $300 part.

The example you found looks great. I'd change transmission fluid now (I would normally say 65-75K), and set a kitty of about $3k aside for parts/service if big stuff comes up. If ANYTHING is weird with the transmission/shifting, you need to immediately service the valve body. That is the single costliest issue that seems to be common to the E60/61 platform. If your trunk hydraulic lift pump leaks, you can just refill for a few dollars and things are fine. You will get a few years solid driving, but be ready for major stuff at that 100K mark.

Just make sure there are NO water leaks into the trunk, move the electronics out of the spare tire bay, and enjoy.

I have to admit it just does not seem to be a good money decision to buy a modern, used BMW. Way too much really expensive stuff to go wrong. If you really gotta have a BMW, and a reasonable car payment could work, I highly recommend you look at CPO. When our E61 needs replacing, that is what we plan to do, and we will really want an extended warranty on it.

Jose
    Hi Jose,

Good points. Originally when I came across the car some time ago my driving needs were some 10k to 15k miles a year. That would have been a no brainer for me and I would grab it. Now that is looking like it may change to some 36k to 40k a year with 95% plus of it being highway. With a possible 120 miles a day round trip I want something highway comfort. Something I feel compacts like civics, carolla, etc just wont provide. I prefer not to lease a car especially if I will have the high milleage needs but don’t want to find myself in constant service mode either.... I was hopeful to get one year of minimal needs with year two having some required proactive service along with some extra unplanned maintenance then reassess after that. If the new work requirements do materialize the car would have some 94k miles after year one and some 135k after year two. The entry asking price for the car is not a deal becuase of its condition, it is just a good quality used car with known history and nonstories.... I need to think it through some.

thanks for the input.
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
    Rear bumper repainted? Reflectors are painted.
    The rear bumper has not been repainted. I noticed the car did not have any reflectors on the lower edges of the rear bumpers, there are what appears to be refelctor delete plates or filler caps in place. After seeing that when Imforst looked at the car I scoured the internet for other E60 pictures and see many without the refelctors. I don’t know why its one way or the other but it does not appear to be a model year thing as I’ve seen the mix on various years even 2010’s. If anyone knows why or when the reflectors are added by the factory I’d love to know.

Max
    Last edited by maxg765; 01-21-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    e30, e61
    This looks like a great option for a daily driver on the highway.

Also - the point about the hydraulic lift that Jose brought up earlier wouldn't apply to this (since that is referring to the hatch on a wagon). Not sure if the water intrusion to the spare tire well is an issue on the sedan, either. I do know that over time the wiring can break in the hinge and cause some issues, but seems to be a pretty simple fix.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The rear bumper has not been repainted. I noticed the car did not have any reflectors on the lower edges of the rear bumpers, there are what appears to be refelctor delete plates or filler caps in place. After seeing that when Imforst looked at the car I scoured the internet for other E60 pictures and see many without the refelctors. I don’t know why its one way or the other but it does not appear to be a model year thing as I’ve seen the mix on various years even 2010’s. If anyone knows why or when the reflectors are added by the factory I’d love to know.

Max
    The car comes with both. I remember finding a set of one or the other in the trunk of a new E60 back in the day. The plates either replace or cover the reflectors, I forget which. And I forget whether the car had reflectors installed, and the plates were in the trunk ... or had plates installed and the reflectors were in the trunk.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    The car comes with both. I remember finding a set of one or the other in the trunk of a new E60 back in the day. The plates either replace or cover the reflectors, I forget which. And I forget whether the car had reflectors installed, and the plates were in the trunk ... or had plates installed and the reflectors were in the trunk.
    That is so interesting and so odd on BMW's part. Thanks for sharing as I wondered what dictated why some E60's had one or the other. Makes you wonder why BMW would want to cover an additional safety item or incur extra the costs of providing both options. I looked it up, turns out its a delete plate not a cover plate so the reflectors would not be behind them. On a side note, the seller did keep everything that came with the car. If they were installed by the dealer and not discarded prior to delivery, then the seller should still have them.

Thanks again for that info.

Max
    Last edited by maxg765; 01-24-2019 at 12:30 PM.
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    Just a quick update...

I bought the car today. It was just way too clean to say no to. Not a single scratch, ding, scuff or even a stone chip on the hood. No visible wear any place. Not even on the trunk rubber seals. No corrosion on any engine bolts. It really looks new eccept the tires which I hope to replace tomorrow. My only wish is that it was a 2009 or 2010 which has the updated idrive and gear shift but after looking at a few 2010’s or other used cars not a single one came in close to the condition of this one. The one hour drive home was great. The gas milleage appears excellent.

Max
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    So, I like the car. I hate the first generatioj iDrive. What was BMW thinking. I’m able to find everything after some digging but it just does not have a good UX. I’m tempted to look into swaping the system for the 2009-2010 unit amd components. Put on new Michelin’s all around today.
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    2005 3.0 530i
    I would say change the transmission fluid asap (as previously stated). This may circumvent the need to do valve body work in the transmission. The fact that it sat for a long time may in fact clog the solenoids from working correctly. The transmission valve body replacement is a common theme with these cars.
    You never said what you paid for it. I was able to get my 05 530i w/49,000 mi for $7500. I really do enjoy driving this car especially now that I installed M5 sport seats in it. Generally I replace all fluids in a as timely fashion as possible when purchasing a new to me car. This process has been a good method for me as I have had to purchase and maintain many used vehicles for my family.

My Cars
    '07 530i and '07 328xit
    Long-time E60 owner.

BMW hoses and gaskets are a weak point.

Have your mechanic keep an eye on:

--coolant hoses and parts: expansion tank cracks; hose connection weakness.
    --Valve cover gasket (look for seep on passenger side);
    --Oil filter assembly and oil filter cooler gaskets (fail with oil seep about 10-12 years in or 100K miles);
    --Oil pan gasket (also fail about 10-12 years in or 100K miles); oil seep.

These are age-related failures that have a noticeable failure rate.

Pretty reliable car.

ALSO: The plastic wiring insulation is known to crumble off the wires in Hella headlights. Not a major problem unless you go into the pods and disturb them.

I wrote "So You Just Bought an E60" that had 30K downloads at another BMW forum and it is located here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Eu...7QE7j9Z5QtIlh7 Useful read for the newbie to the model.
    Last edited by banglenot; 02-18-2019 at 11:27 AM.

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    Thanks for the info. That link to the in deapth write up will be used often.

Just before purchasing it was taken to a local BMW spcialty shop by the owner to verrify why the AC was not cooling plus a PPI. The refrigerent pressure in the system was perfect. The compressor was not kicking on and determined to be inoprable. The owner decided to have it replaced at the same shop along with all other recomended components as if I did not buy the car he would keep it maintained anyway. $1386.03 later... I think it could have been done for a little less as the compressor price looked high at $619.99 according to ECS Tunning but the rest of the bill with expert work was fair. Again, I did not pay for this repair, the original owner did just last week on Feb 6th, 2019 before I bought it. That said, it affect most of the negociating wiggle room.
    Items replaced:
    64 50 9 174 803 AC Compressor with new original BMW OEM unit
    64 55 0 392 602 Aluminum Screw Set
    11 28 7 628 650 Drive Belt
    64 53 6 907 402 Drier Desiccant Element
    17 12 7 521 775 Expansion Tank Hose
    32 41 1 712 735 Clamp
    R134a Refigerent flush and replaced

I paid $8500 for for the car knowing it needed new tires since the set on it were from 2009, possibly an alignment and one outstanding recall for the PCV. Not sure if you all would find that expensive. Knowing its full history, 58K miles, all original paint with not a single blemish (really not any anywhere) plus always stored in a climate controlled garage thus no signs or aging inside or out made for a beautifull example. Even the original break rotors are still in near perfect order without corrosian (see picture). This car does appear as new, minus a much needed warranty . To me that made it worth a premium over some of the less costly examples I came across that did not come close in quality.

The PCV recall, full alignment, and oil change are being done today.

What I find weired is after calling two local seperate prominant BWM dealership franchises asking to do a transmission fluid flush plus also inquireing into having the transmission filter replaced both declined to do the work suggesting I wait till I hit 100K miles or I could do more damage than good. I thought I would at least get the fluid flushed and replaced for fresh stuff.... I’ll keep looking into it.

Best Regards

Max
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    After some reading and carefull inspecting I am leaning toward doing the following maintenace and preventative items in the very near future:

1 Oil Filter Housing gasket - its not leaking but has some very minor sweating
    2 Oil Pan Gasket - Its not leaking but has some very minor sweating
    3 Valve Cover Gastket - its not leaking but has some very minor sweating
    4 When doing the valve cover gasket I may as well have the spark plugs replaced

The should I do it list
    5 Drive Belt Tensioner?
    6a Transmission fluid flush and replace? (Two dealer suggested not to touch it till 100K miles)
    6a & b Transmission fluid and filter replacement? (Two dealer suggested not to touch it till after 100K miles)

All items I expected on an E60 would make sense to tackle after purchase.

Max
    Last edited by maxg765; 02-19-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    81,e21 orig ownr&05,e60
    With your ZF transmission, ZF the manufacturer of the transmission recommends a fluid change, not flush, along with filter/pan changeout at 40-60k mile interval. BMW originally stated the fluid was a lifetime fill and has in the last 3-4 years revised this to 100k mile interval. Meanwhile ZF has always stood by their 40-60k interval with a time of 4-6 years for the change with their ZF Ligeguard 6 fluid.
    Last edited by jtbgonesailing; 02-19-2019 at 06:08 PM.

My Cars
    2005 3.0 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by jtbgonesailing View Post
    With your ZF transmission, ZF the manufacturer of the transmission recommends a fluid change, not flush, along with filter/pan changeout at 40-60k mile interval. BMW originally stated the fluid was a lifetime fill and has in the last 3-4 years revised this to 100k mile interval. Meanwhile ZF has always stood by their 40-60k interval with a time of 4-6 years for the change with their ZF Ligeguard 6 fluid.
    This.
    1) valve cover gasket: is there a smell of oil burning in the cabin or outside of car?
    2) spark plugs are a bit optional at this mileage I believe however I would probably do the same
    3) OFHG usually has to be done sooner or later. I think Bavauto has viton gasket. I am hoping this removes it from the pm list
    4) oil pan. After fixing all the other sources of leaks.....perhaps
    5) belts and tensioners is also a piece of mind thing and inexpensive. Minimally I would inspect them.
    I am of the opinion you got yourself a good deal on a good car. Best of luck.
    Tom

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    Quote Originally Posted by tttomttt View Post
    This.
    1) valve cover gasket: is there a smell of oil burning in the cabin or outside of car?
    2) spark plugs are a bit optional at this mileage I believe however I would probably do the same
    3) OFHG usually has to be done sooner or later. I think Bavauto has viton gasket. I am hoping this removes it from the pm list
    4) oil pan. After fixing all the other sources of leaks.....perhaps
    5) belts and tensioners is also a piece of mind thing and inexpensive. Minimally I would inspect them.
    I am of the opinion you got yourself a good deal on a good car. Best of luck.
    Tom

Hi Tom,

1) Valve cover gasket, there is no smell of burning oil in the cabin or outside engine bay. The car smells like new . Its not leaking or creating oil resedue down the side of the engine. Its only sweating along the gasket. Knowing this is considered a weak point I will be keeping an eye on it as I’d like to get it done somewhat proactivly before it becomes a real leak and makes a mess of things....
    2) Spark plugs, I figured only when I do get the Valve cover done I’d do them at the same time since they have to come out anyways.
    3) OFHG, I think this is the only one that if I had to say might mature past oil sweating to a actual leak its this one. It has the most sweating but still no drip or oil resedue past the gasket itself. Being a pressurized section I figured its will be first to go. I’ll check Bavauto for the viton gasket, thanks
    4) Agreed, it would be last on my list especially since I read that the subframe has to be dropped to get at it. Also, only sweating and its the least out of all, not sure I can even call it sweating yet.
    5) Belts, ok, I’ll keep an eye on it. The belts are new from last week, I’ll keep an eye on the tensioners.

I’ll take things slow for the first 2000 miles as if I were breaking in a new car since it has only seen some 600 to 800 miles of use in the past 5 years or so. Always inside a airconditioned garage being moved every couple of months but with minimal use. Now all of a sudden it will see real daily use. My thoughts were that maybe the gaskets soften up holding the seal or maybe they start to leak.

Thanks for the info and input.
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    e30, e61
    I paid $8500....
    You paid well on the high side, well into clean 535i/xi territory, but for a very clean example of a 525 that is cheaper to maintain and operate. I vote money well spent for the purpose you intend to use it for. Certainly much cheaper than a new car or 2-3 year-old car with similar mileage would be.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Please replace transmission fluid and bridge sealing sleeve. The sleeve causes almost 100% of all failures, it usually starts with a small crack and you will have reduced pressure across all the components, it will wear out clutches and bushings and require a full rebuild around 100-120k mark.

Mine looked like this after 112K miles.

The fluid also gets contaminated from normal clutch wear, the bushings in these transmissions are made of shitty material and any additional contamination will wear them out in no time again leading to full failure and transmission rebuild. I would replace fluid in these every 30k miles, just because of known failures.

My Cars
    88 M6,89 325ix, 72 STAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
    Please replace transmission fluid and bridge sealing sleeve. The sleeve causes almost 100% of all failures, it usually starts with a small crack and you will have reduced pressure across all the components, it will wear out clutches and bushings and require a full rebuild around 100-120k mark.

Mine looked like this after 112K miles.

The fluid also gets contaminated from normal clutch wear, the bushings in these transmissions are made of shitty material and any additional contamination will wear them out in no time again leading to full failure and transmission rebuild. I would replace fluid in these every 30k miles, just because of known failures.

Is this for a manual or auto trans? I see you mention clutch but know that auto’s have internal clutches too.

Thanks

Max
    Regards

Max
    ---------------

My Cars
    2008 535i
    For an auto. They have internal clutches, many of them.

Here are the guts of mine.

My Cars
    '07 530i
    Good Info... Any Do's and Don'ts of changing the transmission fluid and whee to order the kit?
    Available: 101 performance projects for your 3 series BMW '82-'00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast