Thread: New Fuel Injectors Again 50K Later - WTF?

My Cars
    535xi e61

New Fuel Injectors Again 50K Later - WTF?

I posted this on Bimmerfest as well

I have a 2010 e61 Touring with 81K miles.

The car was running a little rough in the morning and then my wife said she was driving on highway and engine was not responding when she hit the accelerator. She also got the half engine light.

I ran Carly on it and got a bunch of codes for Cylinder 2,3,4,5,6
    002DED - Power Management, closed circuit protection
    002DEB - Power Management, network monitoring board
    0029D2 - Misfiring Cylinder 6
    0029D1 - Misfiring Cylinder 5
    0029CF - Misifiring Cylinder 3
    0029CE - Misfiring Cylinder 2
    0029D0 - Misfiring Cylinder 4

002B2C - High-pressure fuel, plausibility, cold start
    0029D9 - Misfire at low tank level
    0029F2 - High-pressure fuel system Fuel pressure
    002E82 - Electric Coolant Pump Energy operation

I cleared codes and took it for a drive - I was not able to throw a check engine etc. But it was running a little rough at idle.

Brought it to my Indy. He was unable to get any codes but was running rough for him as well.
    He pulled spark plugs and they were soaked. Said I need to replace injectors.

I checked the service records and they were replaced by the dealer approx 50K miles ago.

Seems kind of fast to fail again so soon. Any other ideas?

THANKS

My Cars
    2001 525it
    there were many series of the injectors it was determined by the last two numbers on the injector, the most up to date number is either 11 or 13 I believe. It would be interesting to see what number is in there now. Also not related but important is the fault for the electric water pump that's not the exact fault I've seem indicating the electric water pump is going to fail, but i would clear all the the faults then recheck for it. The injectors are just not a great design, they suck. but the new injectors need to have the serial number so you which version you are getting and then coding them to the car. We had to put injectors into an Audi s5 I think and injectors were on the outside of the heads, because the turbos were where the intake would be on a normal engine and you have to pull the engine out to do the job. Some of the engineering these days is just so messed up.
    Last edited by jclausen; 01-18-2019 at 11:07 AM.

My Cars
    535xi e61

TY

I'll check the injectors and let you know what serial number is in there. I'll also run the Carly when I get it back and keep an eye on the Water Pump error for sure.

Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    there were many series of the injectors it was determined by the last two numbers on the injector, the most up to date number is either 11 or 13 I believe. It would be interesting to see what number is in there now. Also not related but important is the fault for the electric water pump that's not the exact fault I've seem indicating the electric water pump is going to fail, but i would clear all the the faults then recheck for it. The injectors are just not a great design, they suck. but the new injectors need to have the serial number so you which version you are getting and then coding them to the car. We had to put injectors into an Audi s5 I think and injectors were on the outside of the heads, because the turbos were where the intake would be on a normal engine and you have to pull the engine out to do the job. Some of the engineering these days is just so messed up.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    Those injectors are known to fail a lot. 50K is not uncommon. Current injectors are Index 12.

My Cars
    535xi e61
    Thanks. These things are not that affordable to keep on the road :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
    Those injectors are known to fail a lot. 50K is not uncommon. Current injectors are Index 12.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    (5) fuel injectors failing simultaneously?....I don't think so.
    Not responding to throttle sounds more like fuel pressure issue.

My Cars
    2008 535i
    I do agree its most likely a fuel pump issue. Unlikely all failed at same time.

My Cars
    535xi e61
    OK - I thought this was unrelated but maybe not.

I replaced the battery right before I ran the Carly and got all the bad codes. My wife lost acceleration a couple of days before.

Also, over the past couple of month the battery icon would come on occasionally and I couldn't figure out why so I decided to just replace it. Installed an AutoZone H9 AGM.

I drove it for about an hour after replacing the battery and didn't get any new codes but it still ran a little rough as noted in my earlier post. I let it sit overnight and drove it over to my guy the next morning.

Any idea why my Indy felt it running rough and then found the flooded spark plugs the next day with a new battery installed (coded/registered with Carly)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
    I do agree its most likely a fuel pump issue. Unlikely all failed at same time.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If the spark plugs are black it's injectors the big question is what series are the injectors. I had one recently and the numbers were really low.
    Last edited by jclausen; 01-18-2019 at 08:29 PM.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Battery's not the issue.
    There was a BMW campaign to replace N54 fuel injectors in 2012-13. As I recall, this campaign installed index 9 injectors. I had (3) injectors replaced in 2015 due to cold start misfires. Only (2) injectors were bad, but all injectors in bank must have the index, so CPO warranty covered (3) replacements. Index 11 injectors were installed. Problem was particularly bad if car sat overnight in sub freezing weather. If misfires were severe enough, the DME would disable the misfiring cylinders, making car run extremely bad. On restart the car would run fine until the next morning. Plugs always looked normal. There is also a 10 year/120k mile warranty on these injectors. You might give the dealer a call to see if your car is covered. You may have two problems, leaky injectors don't explain the no response to throttle also reported. I would clear codes and check for codes immediately after starting on a cold morning. Check with engine running.
    Last edited by pshovest; 01-18-2019 at 08:58 PM.

My Cars
    535xi e61

Number 9 Injectors

OK. He checked Fuel Pump etc and no go so I let him change out injectors. I do trust the guy but anything is possible.

The injectors he removed were Index-09 injectors and they were replaced with new Index-12's from ECS Tuning.

Hoping this with new battery keeps the Indy at bay for a little while.

TYBB

Quote Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
    Battery's not the issue.
    There was a BMW campaign to replace N54 fuel injectors in 2012-13. As I recall, this campaign installed index 9 injectors. I had (3) injectors replaced in 2015 due to cold start misfires. Only (2) injectors were bad, but all injectors in bank must have the index, so CPO warranty covered (3) replacements. Index 11 injectors were installed. Problem was particularly bad if car sat overnight in sub freezing weather. If misfires were severe enough, the DME would disable the misfiring cylinders, making car run extremely bad. On restart the car would run fine until the next morning. Plugs always looked normal. There is also a 10 year/120k mile warranty on these injectors. You might give the dealer a call to see if your car is covered. You may have two problems, leaky injectors don't explain the no response to throttle also reported. I would clear codes and check for codes immediately after starting on a cold morning. Check with engine running.
    Last edited by Cte61; 01-20-2019 at 02:18 PM.

My Cars
    535xi e61
    OK. He checked Fuel Pump etc and no go so I let him change out injectors. I do trust the guy but anything is possible.

The injectors he removed were Index-09 injectors and they were replaced with new Index-12's from ECS Tuning.

Hoping this with new battery keeps the Indy at bay for a little while.

TYBB