Thread: using slide hammer tool to remove rear hub

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3

using slide hammer tool to remove rear hub

I have rented this slide hammer from autozone to get the rear hub off so I can change the bearing. Is it ok to use the factory wheel bolts like this to remove this or will I damage them or the hub threads?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    are slow.
    Completely fine. Try to get as many threads as you can engaged.

I've done dozens of E36 and really all series of BMW wheel bearings, and it seems as though the slide hammer approach works the best while on the car. When the hub comes out, you'll see the race is stuck to the back side. Take a dremel or a angle grinder and start to cut a notch into it. Just take down as much metal in a straight (or angled) line as you can without cutting into the hub, and then give it some whacks with a chisel or hammer. Eventually the race will literally crack under its own stress and you'll be able to take it off with a pair of pliers or flathead. You can also try heating it up and cooling it after cutting. Trust me, it always cracks.5800344_f520.jpg

Great reference:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...cement-insight

Make sure the hub bore is very clean, use a flat head or pick and clean the inside lip.

To press it back in, I use a 1/2" threaded rod from home depot or lowes, about 12" long, and some different sized washers and thick plates. The bearing gets pressed in first, then the c-clip, then the hub. (God I can't tell you how many bearings I've ruined by forgetting the clip...)

Seems obvious, but make sure the rear side of the inner race is where the washer is pressing against when pressing the hub through.

Some light amount of anti-seize helps slide in the bearing and hub too.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by Hova; 01-17-2019 at 10:53 PM.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    thank you for the guidance, I am actually doing this off of the car though so I forsee some extra difficulty using the slide hammer. THe whole drailing arm/axle assembly is sitting on the ground so I will have to brace it best I can with my legs or another method.

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    Seems obvious, but make sure the rear side of the inner race is where the washer is pressing against when pressing the hub through.

Some light amount of anti-seize helps slide in the bearing and hub too.

Best of luck.
    I reread this and am confused. Everything I have read til now has said to apply pressure only to the outer race. Can you clarify this piece of your directions with a picture?

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by DSTX17 View Post
    I reread this and am confused. Everything I have read til now has said to apply pressure only to the outer race. Can you clarify this piece of your directions with a picture?
    When installing the bearing, you apply force to the outside race so that the entire bearing will go into the trailing arm. When reinstalling the hub into the bearing, you want the pressure on the inner race so that the hub can go inside of it. If you don't, you will tear the bearing and the hub will actually push that part out. Just think about it. Since the hub GOES INSIDE the bearing, you need to make sure there is enough opposite force to make sure the hub slides inside of it....makes sense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvu69zCxiFk&t=2s
    Last edited by BMWManiac; 01-18-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    excellent video, cleared things up. I went out and bought that same Maddox kit, with the 20% any single item coupon they had at Harbor Freight it was only $96. I had been trying to rent something but the auto parts stores were giving me the run around so I just bought it.