RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2015 BMW X5 xdrive35i Front Brakes

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5 Xdrive35i

2015 BMW X5 xdrive35i Front Brakes

I'm replacing my front pads and rotors on my 2015 BMW X5 xdrive35i. I am trying to get the caliper bracket off so that I can do the pads and replace the rotors and the bracket bolts wont break free. They're E18 Torx which I have that socket and the bolt is starting to round. I was using a 15" Breaker bar and still not getting it to budge. I'm going to try some penetrating fluid but I'm not very optimistic it will work. Any suggestions? I'm concerned about shearing the head off. Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    You could wack the bolt with a mini sledge, place another piece of metal over the bolt. Unless it is countersunk then you might be able to use the socket. 15" breaker bar is to small I would try around 24 " bar or put a piece of pipe on yours. Let the oil soak in the bolts. Plus if the parts are rusty, could try a little heat

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    15" is not a breaker bar. A breaker bar is ~3 feet long. put a 3 foot pipe on the "breaker bar", and make sure to hold the socket firmly on the bolt so you don't round it off. A good 1/2" drive impact gun is always useful.

EDIT:

https://store.snapon.com/Breaker-Bar...r-P813610.aspx
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 01-17-2019 at 07:47 PM.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5 Xdrive35i
    It's not counter sunk. Does hitting it with a mini sledge help? I've never heard of it. I'll get a bigger breaker bar or a cheater bar. The ABS cable runs through there plus I would be worried about my boot as well. So I'm saving heat for the last option.

- - - Updated - - -

Gotta Love that snap on price! I'll get a pipe and use that and some penetrating fluid. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    15" is not a breaker bar. A breaker bar is ~3 feet long. put a 3 foot pipe on the "breaker bar", and make sure to hold the socket firmly on the bolt so you don't round it off. A good 1/2" drive impact gun is always useful.

EDIT:

https://store.snapon.com/Breaker-Bar...r-P813610.aspx

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Hey, I do this for a living, and the tool trucks arrive every week. Of course their prices are absurd....but they happen to be there when I need something, and "payments" seem to lessen the pain. I'm not saying you should buy the ridiculously priced stuff; there are similar items from China for 1/5 the price, since you'll use it once a year.

Still....my "go-to" 3/8" drive ratchet is 14.5 inches.....that's what I grab for ordinary bolts. When i try to undo a caliper bracket bolt, I immediately switch to 1/2" drive, and either my impact gun, or my 30" long SnapOn 1/2 drive ratchet.

Call me weak... but I use the tool with the best leverage. A long pipe is the cheapest way to dramatically increase leverage.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5 Xdrive35i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    Hey, I do this for a living, and the tool trucks arrive every week. Of course their prices are absurd....but they happen to be there when I need something, and "payments" seem to lessen the pain. I'm not saying you should buy the ridiculously priced stuff; there are similar items from China for 1/5 the price, since you'll use it once a year.

Still....my "go-to" 3/8" drive ratchet is 14.5 inches.....that's what I grab for ordinary bolts. When i try to undo a caliper bracket bolt, I immediately switch to 1/2" drive, and either my impact gun, or my 30" long SnapOn 1/2 drive ratchet.

Call me weak... but I use the tool with the best leverage. A long pipe is the cheapest way to dramatically increase leverage.

I don't blame you, I actually bough a 24" steel pipe at Home Depot for $13. Soaked it in PB blaster for two days (weather was too cold to work outside) and it came off.

I did replace the sensor and reset it and it said Front Brakes do in 6K miles, any idea as to why so little? The only thing I can think of is its based on driving conditions maybe?

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5 Xdrive35i

2015 BMW X5 xdrive35i Front Brakes Sensor Reset

So I finished my front brakes on my 2015 and reset the Replace front brake pads warning and it said that they are do again in 6000 miles. Anyone have any idea as to why the so short life span? The only thing I can think of is either a bad sensor or its based on driving conditions and it will improve once I start driving some more and it readjusts itself (similar to how average MPG works).

I did have an issue resetting it at first. I plugged in the sensor and went to reset it and it was loading like it was about to reset and then it said reset unsuccessful. I tried it a few more times. Pulled out the sensor again and re-clipped it in and it still said unsuccessful. This time I unplugged it blew on the two plugs. Then I left it unclipped from where it goes on the caliper. Reset it and it said reset successful Front Brake Pads: 6000 miles.

I have no idea why its so short, I was expecting at least 30,000 miles out of it. I tried to reset it again and now it says reset impossible.
    I bought the sensor of FCP Euro.

Side note: Do you guys have any preferred sites to order parts, I have looked at Pelican parts, and FCP Euro. FCP euro was nearly 100 cheaper for the same parts (or very similar)

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    FCP Euro and Pelican are both excellent. FCP almost always wins on price.

The brake wear sensor is not the fault. The sensors are very simple things, just essentially a piece of wire. When the pad wears far enough, the wire gets cut.

How did you "reset" the brakes? In the CBS, using a scan tool ? Did you clear the codes in the ABS/DSC computer? There will be codes there, if the previous sensor was triggered.
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 01-22-2019 at 06:07 AM.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5 Xdrive35i
    I pushed start, to turn ignition on held button on instrument cluster, it brought up the maintenance list, I clicked through until I got front brake pads pushed and held button again, it then showed Reset? pushed and held again and it started resetting and after the 3rd try mentioned above it said reset successful. The previous sensor was triggered. h

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    You are going to have to clear the codes in the ABS/DSC, with a BMW specific scan tool. Once the sensor is triggered, a code is set, and it won't clear with just resetting the CBS.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412