Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know what this sound is??

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i

Angry Anyone know what this sound is??

Two days ago my E39 started making by far the worst and loudest interior noise I've heard yet (and yes I know there can be a lot).
    I cant figure out what this is from, my power steering res is topped off, all of my suspension components are torqued down as well as my wheels. It sounds like its coming from inside the dash. Even with my music blasting I can still hear the creaking. Anyone know what this could be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOCpA7EZjKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCn1btNvXCk

UPDATED -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrd-NepfzRk
    Last edited by alexthebmwguy; 01-18-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: added longer video

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Can't really tell what's going on, could you produce a longer clip?
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    1997 528 Auto 03/'96 M52
    Are you sure it's not coming from your seat?

It seems like the sound only happens when you first take off, from the "g-forces", for lack of a better term. Sounds like something is flexing/moving more than a true mechanical problem. Hard to say, though... a bit hard to diagnose from where I am with the limited info!

Does it happen in reverse or any other times?

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Don’t know... longer and varied clip could help.
    The one thought I had: Check your above steering wheel trim cover. That can come loose and rattle.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
    H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i
    I will try to get a better video however its pretty hard since the sound only happens when i let off the clutch and give it some gas from a stop. The faster I let off the clutch the more severe the sound. It sounds like it is coming from the dash area. The car has had a broken steering angle sensor for the entire time I owned it so i doubt that could be the issue. Even if i downshift and accelerate the noise is not there unless i am completely stopped. Quickly goes away as I pick up speed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also it is not the seat, definitely coming from the front of the driver side.
    Also this does NOT happen in reverse, I've floored it in reverse and no noise whatsoever.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    It could be your DMF
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    It could be your DMF
    I would hope not since I just paid BMW to replace my clutch and resurface my flywheel a couple months ago.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Does your parking brake holds well? pull it all the way harshly like if you would leave it on an incline in neutral. With engine running, shift into 2nd or 3rd and dump the first third of the pedal (like getting it to "bite" but not all the way released)- Does it clunks? If it's the springs in the DMF it will only creep, clunk or whine when selecting a forward gear, not into reverse.

- - - Updated - - -

Hate to tell you this but id does sound like the DMF is starting to give up the ghost. Maybe the strain of resurfacing the friction side put some additional load on already weakened springs and now you have extra free play and noise. That's why you don't want to resurface a DMF.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    03 530i 5MT, 535xiT 6MT
    I can't really tell from the short videos, but is there a possibility that the sound could be coming from the engine bay? Possibly from worn motor mounts causing interference with the fan, etc? I'm just hypothesizing here...
    Check out my car blog here: exhaustfumes.blog
    Gone: 1995 525i5, 1995 740iA, 2006 S60R 6MT, 2000 540iT, 1999 ML320, 2007 335i6

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by lucas999 View Post
    I can't really tell from the short videos, but is there a possibility that the sound could be coming from the engine bay? Possibly from worn motor mounts causing interference with the fan, etc? I'm just hypothesizing here...
    I took it to a shop a few weeks ago for a completely different problem and they did tell me my motor mounts were going bad, though when I checked it out myself from above with a flashlight they seemed to be fine with no signs of rubber cracking/crumbling.

It does sound reasonable that worn engine bay mounts may be the issue, especially in the colder weather. It was my first thought when I heard the noise but could this sound be due to the clutch and engine engagement and it wanting to twist the engine causing more stress on my mounts when at a stop? I would just imagine this sort of problem would sound a lot more severe and because the mounts look fine and I couldn't hear it from outside the car (with my windows down).

Car does also has almost 200,000 miles.
    Last edited by alexthebmwguy; 01-17-2019 at 07:13 PM.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    If they were the engine mounts it will make the noise in reverse too. If you want to think mounts, the tranny mounts would make a noise one way but not the other since it tries to rotate one way going in reverse and the other going forward.

- - - Updated - - -

along that lines, I'd check the passenger side tranny mount
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Try taking off with your door slightly open. The door weather strips sometimes make a lot of noise.
    Suspension parts sometimes creak when the car rises on acceleration, that should be easy to duplicate by rocking the car while standing.
    It's really tough to guess from these kind of recordings.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    It's not your engine mounts or power steering. It's coming from the bracket that the clutch pedal mounts to. It might need a drop of oil on the pivot or maybe something (bolt) is slightly loose.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Santaclaus4 View Post
    It's not your engine mounts or power steering. It's coming from the bracket that the clutch pedal mounts to. It might need a drop of oil on the pivot or maybe something (bolt) is slightly loose.
    This scenario doesn't explain why it doesn¿t makes said noise in reverse.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Maybe...
    We don't actually know it doesn't make the sound in reverse though. He said it doesn't because he can't hear it. Doesn't mean it's not there. When you are backing-up your body position is slightly different.

- - - Updated - - -

I listened over and over to that sound. I agree it's coming from under the dash. I've heard that sound before on other cars I've had over the years and it's been either a dry pivot point or a slightly loose bolt on a related bracket.
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Yeah, that does seem suspiciously aligned with your clutch being released....

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i
    But only happens from a complete stop and letting off. Never when changing gears or pressing it in neutral.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i
    And here is my pedal box area. Nothing too out of the ordinary to me but I hit some spots with silicone lubricant, didn't do anything about the noise.

IMG-3370.jpg
    IMG-3374.jpg
    IMG-3375.jpg

My Cars
    2001 750iL DD74441
    Huh
    I hear it at 5, 8, 19, 26, and 35.
    26 is somewhat masked by your short jacket and I assume that is the shift to 2nd.
    Other than pointing to the previous posters, can’t help beyond as my 7 is not3 pedals.

2001 750iL DD74441
    Stock

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Quote Originally Posted by alexthebmwguy View Post
    But only happens from a complete stop and letting off. Never when changing gears or pressing it in neutral.
    Ok, that does change things a bit. I haven't listened to the longer video yet. It might reveal more information.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    I can hear it make the same noise when you are shifting and when you push the clutch in at the stop. It's subtle and mostly masked by the exhaust and your body moving your jacket noises but I turned the volume up and the noise is definitely there.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Dmf

- - - Updated - - -

IMHO
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    Why not put your recording device (cell phone, etc.) under the dash or on the floor and take a recording of the pedal movement with the engine off and while running and driving.
    If it was the clutch, it would make the same noise going forward or reverse. The clutch doesn't know which way the car is moving. The load and direction on the clutch are the same either way.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 525i
    SOLVED

After a very long and thorough investigation, I've found that the culprit was the amount of recline on my seat. Yes, I messed with my seat controls and the noise went away. Hopefully this can help someone hearing the same creak noise and not spend hours taking apart their dash and pedal box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast