Thread: Remote fob not working. Have issue with box under rear seat

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525it

Remote fob not working. Have issue with box under rear seat

I have an E34 1995 525it.
    MY remote fob has not worked for some time and of course I have replaced the battery CR2025 and it shows as 3.23 volts on a tester and also tried others to make sure it was not reading properly. When I insert these batteries in the fob I get NO light on fob when I press any of the buttons.

I have instructions that were very thorough for the e34 remote programming which indicates I need to open the security box under rear seat and take the the chip from the fob and put into open slot in security device and after putting ignition to first stop press and hold black button in security device for ten seconds and then shut off ignition and then remove chip and reinsert into fob. All has been done making sure I did not skip any steps and when pressing any button on fob still nothing lights.

Then I noticed that the input port on the security device has a wire going into it and when I followed the wire it was just lying there on the floor and I could not find where it should be connected to.

So I am wondering if anyone can point out where it goes and does the non lighting of fob directly related to that or are there two problems I need to address.
    I would prefer not to order another fob if that is not the problem but I cannot see where the wire goes. I have a couple of pictures showing the security device but cannot figure out how to include these and appreciate any help in this matter.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Doesn't sound like any E34 OE security system I've ever seen.
    You need more posts to be able to put up photos. Either PM one of the mods or run your mouth a bit in some threads, not sure the threshold to post pics
    Last edited by ross1; 01-16-2019 at 08:42 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '94 530iT/A|'95 540iT/6
    That sounds like the programming procdure for late production e34 Alpine alarms. But as Ross said, without pictures it will be difficult to help you out with the wiring.

If you can read a wiring diagram, try looking here:
    http://www.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e34/

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by springglen6 View Post
    I have an E34 1995 525it.
    MY remote fob has not worked for some time and of course I have replaced the battery CR2025 and it shows as 3.23 volts on a tester and also tried others to make sure it was not reading properly. When I insert these batteries in the fob I get NO light on fob when I press any of the buttons.

I have instructions that were very thorough for the e34 remote programming which indicates I need to open the security box under rear seat and take the the chip from the fob and put into open slot in security device and after putting ignition to first stop press and hold black button in security device for ten seconds and then shut off ignition and then remove chip and reinsert into fob. All has been done making sure I did not skip any steps and when pressing any button on fob still nothing lights.

Then I noticed that the input port on the security device has a wire going into it and when I followed the wire it was just lying there on the floor and I could not find where it should be connected to.

So I am wondering if anyone can point out where it goes and does the non lighting of fob directly related to that or are there two problems I need to address.
    I would prefer not to order another fob if that is not the problem but I cannot see where the wire goes. I have a couple of pictures showing the security device but cannot figure out how to include these and appreciate any help in this matter.
    You're on the right track. That is the correct programming procedure for the chip in the 3-button key remote. Most US e34s have that system under the rear seat. That input port wire is for the glass breakage sensor. It goes to the black plate at the rear of the center console. I think the problem is with your key fob remote or its chip. The red LED will light up if the battery is good and the chip is properly seated when you press a button, regardless if the chip is properly programmed or not.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525it
    I did purchase another fob and took the chip from mine as I knew it was programmed already and it works fine. I guess the fob I had suffered some issue as the red light would not light and I had a new battery put in. Thanks for the info as to where the wire goes for the glass breakage sensor.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by springglen6 View Post
    I did purchase another fob and took the chip from mine as I knew it was programmed already and it works fine. I guess the fob I had suffered some issue as the red light would not light and I had a new battery put in. Thanks for the info as to where the wire goes for the glass breakage sensor.
    Glad to hear you got it solved!