Thread: Rajicase's Second E36 (Build thread?)

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Rajicase's Second E36 (Build thread?)

Some of you may know me, I've had my Boston Green M3 for almost 8 years now. When I got that car I was a stupid 18 year old in way over my head. Didn't even know how to change my oil. To make a long story short, I fell in love with the car and after hundreds of hours of reading and research, tackling projects way above my skill set, making many mistakes along the way, I built a pretty damn cool car IMO.

I'll skip the rest, however said car is now pushing 700+ whp with a built motor, but turbo, E85, etc.. while it is an absolute blast, the farther away from stock the car got, the more I realized how much I missed carving up back roads, going for nice long drives on the weekends, etc. After all, my turbo M3 is really a one trick pony at this point; pure race car.

So I bought a 2011 135i M sport with a six speed manual trans. Full bolt ons. 450wtq. The creature comforts an e36 lacked. Great car by all tangible means. And it was. I enjoyed it, a lot... However I couldnt help but always feel like it was missing something. And to this day I cant tell you what it was. But it lacked something the e36 m3 has, at least in my opinion.

Last month I sold the 135i and began looking for a car that would bring back the same smile and happiness my M3 did. I test drive a lot of cars; 335is, E46 m3s, wrx sti's, C5 z06s, c6 corvettes, s2000s, and the list goes on.

Nothing was doing it for me. All very fun cars in their own ways, but not for me. Not now at least. After a frustrating search to find a car that gave me the same feeling my e36 m3 did, I did the only logical thing and began looking for another m3. Last week I made a three hour drive to buy my second m3. This time a 1999 , pristine M3.

This thread will serve as a build thread similar to the one I have in the forced induction section documenting my progress on the turbo car. Plans for this one will be OEM+. Near future includes tint, wheels, headlights, and possibly intake mods and a tune. Nothing drastic. Past that , suspension work and tires.

Only issues with the car currently that I have discovered:
    -M3 badge is faded
    -rear left center cap is missing BMW emblem
    -some of the trim pieces are a bit faded, particularly the windshield cowl and the roof ledge molding that wraps around the top of the side windows.

Only thing I have done so far is swap out the chrome kidneys with some black ones.

Pictures:

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Thats a score for sure! Doesnt look like it needs anything other than someone in the driver seat (which looks immaculate btw!) . Stoked for you

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Definitely going to follow this one. Good luck with the new build!

My Cars
    98 m3
    Good color :wink

Just stop at the m50 manifold, headers, and tune this time. xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    Will be following this along! I have quickly realized I would have came out ahead buying a super mint example like this over a more used example needing some work. Parts add up super fast!

My Cars
    yay
    Looking like a great place to start.

Currently working on my own OEM+ build after growing up a bit.
    CARS
    02.92 325is / 06.72 2002 / 02.91 XJ / 08.04 R53 JCW

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post

+1

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    congrats!

Nice to see more builds following a 'less is more' approach. Sometimes engineers get things very right and we overlook that and try to improve what they did, but we only end up detracting from the overall experience that made us like it in the first place.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrifty S50 View Post
    Thats a score for sure! Doesnt look like it needs anything other than someone in the driver seat (which looks immaculate btw!) . Stoked for you
    Thanks man. Its amazing what these cars are capable of in stock form when meticulously maintained.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LockDots View Post
    Definitely going to follow this one. Good luck with the new build!
    Thanks, I am excited.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vollosso View Post

Fortunately I have the other m3 to butcher some more. I think that will help ease temptations to mod this one.

And yas twins.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    congrats!

Nice to see more builds following a 'less is more' approach. Sometimes engineers get things very right and we overlook that and try to improve what they did, but we only end up detracting from the overall experience that made us like it in the first place.
    Agreed. I learned all that the hard way with my first M3. These cars do one thing really well and that is put a smile on your face. And they still hang with the best on back roads/auto-x/road courses. Ive already had a blast taking the car out on some of our local mountain roads. Unfortunately the car has a brand new set of all season tires on it which really kill the handling characteristics. But I cant justify swapping them out considering how new they are.

My Cars
    98M3/4/5 SpeedMiata
    I'm right there with you loving the e36 M3. It's irrational and I can tell other people don't get it, but I just love everything about it: the looks, the size/weight, the driving experience. Everything else, no matter how powerful or new seems like a POS or somehow misguided in comparison. I know that cannot actually be true, but my rational and irrational sides cannot come to agreement! Have fun with this one and good luck keeping things sane. I went OEM+ with my M3/4/5 but I'm altering my 'Speed Miata fairly substantially (Miata parts prices are more friendly). It's good to have one to scratch the "mod" itch and another to keep close to factory goodness.
    Current:
    98 M3/4/5 Alpine/Magma
    05 MazdaSpeed Miata

Sold:

00 Honda VFR
    99 528iT M/T
    98 M3/4/5 Arctic/Dove
    94 R-package Miata
    89 Honda NT650

87 325is turned SpecE30