Thread: Windshield washers

My Cars
    81 RHD 635, 85 M635csi

Windshield washers

I rotate driving my 2000 528iT and my 2002 530i about every 3-4 weeks to keep the mileage down. When I went to drive the 530i recently the windshield washers don't work. The headlamp washers do work, any c li uses where to start?

My Cars
    '01 525iTa
    Can you hear the pump run? I think the intensive cleaning for the wipers is a different pump than the windshield.

My Cars
    81 RHD 635, 85 M635csi
    Not that I noticed. I will check again this afternoon.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    If the pump is running, then the hoses under the hood may have rotted. Check for wetness under the hood where those hoses run, you may need to peel back the pad. Very common. Pretty easy to fix the rotted parts with some tubing from Home Depot, unless you're a pedantic one that must purchase the entire OE BMW hose assembly and go through the pita of installing it.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Note: The pumps are in the washer reservoir which is located in the right inner fender (Behind the plastic wheel well liner)

DIY LINKS
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...rvoir-Leak-Fix
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=503193 Go to post #9 for images of your washer bucket/Reservoir

The intensive washers are a second pump and washer fluid source and lines that run just to the windshield driver and passenger side. This intensive tank is a small reservoir that is located under the hood just in front of the right shock tower. I do not think it came without head lamp washers. I disconnected my head lamp washer pump so it will not fire off and flood the hood and grill area and then dry in the sun.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...iagId=61_0143e The washer lines and nozzle lines parts numbers are buried in Real OEM under Body electrical, drill to the bottom and you will see the parts required. If you use your VIN number when opening the site, the software will grey out the parts that do NOT fit your application on most visuals.

As mentioned many many times, the highest failure item are the pumps themselves. If you had posted this in a wagon forum you would get more detailed info. Is your vehicle equipped with head lamp washers, intensive and the rear wiper on the rear hatch?
    The quick test is to confirm are any of them are working as the front, intensive, and rear pumps are interchangeable. The headlamp washer pump is the BIG one with the larger diameter hose the runs up in the fender to the back side of the right front corner of the bumper, just over the right bumper extension/ "porkchop". Your pumps and washer fluid reservoir are located in the right front wheel well on the back side of the fender nearest the door. Access: remove tire, remove liner bolts, one push clip, and three one time use rivets along the back edge on each wheel liner. Pull liner free and wash well.

If none of the pumps are working check fuses first, otherwise just follow the simple parts replacement process. Replace the seal screens 6166700606 that are under each pump. These must be replaced as the new ones will leak when the new pumps are installed. To test each pump, just pull the electrical connectors off and jump them with a 12 volt source and they should spin. If not toss away. I would buy the OE versions (non BMW logo) ones. The line connectors snap on. One quick pull and they pull off and one quick compression they reconnect. Every thing is brittle so be careful. Wash everything while your are there. I spritzed ArmorAll on everything plastic before reassembly.
    Note: check for leaks BEFORE you button everything up. The fill tube leak at the reservoir, a worm drive clamp or zip ties will resolve it.

There are two lines to each nozzle on Intensive equipped models and ONE to each nozzle on non intensive applications. See Images below for examples.

Helpful?

Attached Thumbnails
    Last edited by StephenVA; 01-17-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    81 RHD 635, 85 M635csi
    Thanks for the tips sienayr and StephenVA. More to check today.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    theres a filter screen on the pump assy. its not uncommon for it to get gunked up and stop flow thru it. if thats the issue, easy fix.

My Cars
    99 528i, 90 ZR-1 Vette
    Its ez to diagnose.... turn on the key to position 1. Pull the lever. If the wipers cycle and no wash... and you dont hear the pump... remove passenger side wheel. Pull back the inner panel and expose the tank and motors. Pull the plug connector off the main washer pump. Again, have someone turn key to position 1, pull the lever... at the same time, have a multi meter at the plug, you should see battery voltage, or close to it. If you do, replace the pump. Autohauz AZ about $16.00 for a VDO unit.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    If you can't get it readily available, check a '05 jetta pump (no rear windshield washer, just the windshield version) It's the same pump.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"