Thread: Back in the E21 Game

My Cars
    E46 M3

Back in the E21 World

Mornin' y'all. Long time enthusiast, used to own an E21 12 or so years ago. Since then have owned several E36/E46/E9X, had a speed shop etc but finally picked up another one of "The one that got away".

Picked up this 78 320i a few weeks ago after a year long search of something mostly clean in a price range I could get away with from the ol ball and chain. It has a 5spd, LSD, and recaro's which I find odd?

During the usual "tune up" the inside of the valve cover looks mighty clean, but the engine just doesn't seem to wanna scream like my previous M10. Really struggles above 5-5500 RPM, ideas? Plugs were super old laser so no good reading from them. I was hoping to throw on a dyno in the upcoming week or two to just get a solid AFR log and go from there.

Heat works great, but smells like someone stashed a bunch of unsmoked heroin in the filter, where in the hell is this located? In the cowl above firewall?

Any good dash removal threads? Current dash is cracked to shit obviously with a cover, would like to remove and fill/sand/flock.

When I got the car, speedometer off by about 10MPH no matter the speed, temp was always high. Checked fluids after getting home and super low on coolant. Added about .5 Gallon, temps a lot more stable but still sit constantly a little above normal. Chaulk this up to old gauges, or should I look at a full overhaul?

E32 Projector lights fit? Or is there a better product that's a projector, looks relatively period correct and has great light output?

Current plans are euro bumpers, new wheels/tires, refresh all suspension, and work on engine in the kitchen. Searching for a spare M10 with plans for 12.5 or so pistons, large cam, dual sidedrafts, headers, and E85 but would like to continue enjoying as is until that's ready to drop in. I travel full time so only drive Friday-Sunday as a cruiser, not concerned about driveability at all. Built many cars, I know what I'm going to encounter.

With the plans being 225 R comps, I was planning on going with all poly where available, then all new front components. Replacing shocks/struts with some sort of Koni insert I can find to fit. Currently has red springs (Assuming H&R), will keep for now. Any reason to stay stock vs poly? Was thinking with all the extra tire force, might destroy stock pretty quick vs poly?

-Critter

My Cars
    1983 320I, 1986 325E
    Your speedometer is likely off due to the differential being swapped. I think you have a 3.91 where a 3.64 should be. This isn't a big deal. You can swap in the proper speedometer or get your existing one recalibrated.

Check the firewall cowl and clean the area.

The e30 elipsoid headlight assembly fits with some modification. It is an excellent upgrade. The Depo brand "smiley" lights on ebay are pretty good and go for around $160. They are a clone of the euro lights and some parts are metal instead of plastic. I'd recommend those over a 30+ year old usdm set.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Congrats, super sweet looking car! I'd love to see photos of the interior too. I'm super jealous of how clean that body looks.

Sounds like you have some big plans, I hope you'll start a thread of your own and post lots of updates along the way

As far as the seats, 5-speed, and LSD, I have to assume those things were simply upgrades made by POs.. I'm not actually sure whether or not recaros were available options in 1978?

Does the engine serial number match the VIN?

LOL I love the idea of a fat cam and high compression running on E85 Maybe with water injection?? Definitely a big fan of sidedrafts too. Might take a while to accomplish all that if your ol ball and chain has to approve

welcome!