Thread: reconnection of ebrake cable to parking brake mechanism

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3

reconnection of ebrake cable to parking brake mechanism

I am in the middle of removing the rear subframe currently to change out the bushings. I was reading people removed the drive shaft which requires removing the mid pipe because most have the cable get stuck in the trailing arm due to rust. Well I looked at removing the exhaust and those bolts to the header looked like a potentially tough job to break loose. My ebrake cable popped right out of the trailing arm hole using a flat head to pop it backwards towards where the differential sits. Anyway does anyone have pictures of how that pieces that attaches to the ebrake cable on the trailing arm end sits for when I go to reconnect it? I should have taken a before picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by DSTX17 View Post
    I am in the middle of removing the rear subframe currently to change out the bushings. I was reading people removed the drive shaft which requires removing the mid pipe because most have the cable get stuck in the trailing arm due to rust. Well I looked at removing the exhaust and those bolts to the header looked like a potentially tough job to break loose. My ebrake cable popped right out of the trailing arm hole using a flat head to pop it backwards towards where the differential sits. Anyway does anyone have pictures of how that pieces that attaches to the ebrake cable on the trailing arm end sits for when I go to reconnect it? I should have taken a before picture.

Here is what the e-brake looks like. The circled area is where the cable attaches. There is a small pin that attaches the cable. I disconnected the cable at the hand brake to get enough play. The cable just snakes through the hole in the trailing arm.

Last edited by JitteryJoe; 01-15-2019 at 09:14 PM.

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    thank you this is exactly what I needed!

My Cars
    are slow.
    I only get to work on my cars on the weekends between my busy work week. I remember taking my E-brake apart on a Sunday evening, and by the following weekend, I had no clue how to put it back together lol. Fun times. Be patient with it, and test the adjustment before assembling everything back. Usually the E-brake shoes will last a very very long time, I haven't ever changed them, and they still have no problem locking up the rear tires when adjusted correctly. Good luck.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Yeah same for me. Once I was able to took at some pictures online and then sort of piece it together and figure out how the mechanism worked it made a lot more sense. When the cable is pulled the fitting the the end of the cable sits in is pulled inboard which expands the little hinged lever mechanism and pushes the two brake shoes apart. The other deal at the bottom is just an adjuster used to get the shoes in the right ballpark so they aren't dragging but they also don't need to be pressed much to make contact. The PITA part is getting the stupid springs back on, specifically the last spring. Have fun with that. It involved a pair of needlenose pliers and a lot of swearing.
    Last edited by TostitoBandito; 01-16-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    1999 M3/2/5 - Titanium Silver - Track/Weekend Toy

My Cars
    skateboard
    Just what I was looking for. The OP of my car removed the ebrake cables entirely (smart move right).
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell