1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Starter is Bosch SR40X

Starter Motor Failure Symptoms

Engine won't turn over despite complete battery charge
    Starter engages but doesn't spin motor
    Starter continues to spin after engine start
    Grinding noise when trying to start engine

I only had one flywheel with broken teeth it was 1968 Ford Cougar-automatic-390-Ford Dealership replaced mine and it was not light at all-Chief Mechanic pulled the transmission out in about 30 minutes with overhead lift, ect--he found a replacement in the yard there and since I was in school--he gave me deal--cost to pull and replace around $250.00.. There is reason was why he was the chief mechanic-he knew every nut and bolt size and all the details and tools necessary to expedite the replacement. The teeth broke due to fatigue of metal, the starter was good.

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 01-17-2019 at 02:14 PM.

My Cars
    ‘81 E21 320i
    I had the flexplate separate the middle, right around the bolts, from the rest of the large plate on an 83 chevy diesel. Just twisted out.

About $350 to replace. But it was 4 wheel drive so getting under was easy. It was GM so the local parts store in the middle of nowhere had it in back. The mechanic was rural guy who was about 55 years old and knew this stuff well. The tranny could be pulled back easily as the driveshaft had tuns of collapse-travel.

Also, that was 1996 and the dollar was a lot different back then.

So my symptoms:
    Sratchy start.
    Scratchy start, followed by loud, high-pitched 'bong' noise
    Spinning starter with no affect on engine.

Pulled starter - cracked and missing sections of the cast housing around the pinion.
    Felt jagged edge of the teeth gear on the flexplate.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Looks like a new starter , automatic flywheel*, seals, dowels and the rest.

*An automatic transmission uses a flywheel that is more commonly called a “flexplate.”

Flexplates also do harmonic torque dampening like a flywheel so either is good, just not as much as solid one.

Flexplates--break due to misalignment--seals leaking will cause this too. Supposedly they are called flexplates as they will flex to adjust too minor misalignment.

"Simply replacing the flexplate will result in recurrence. Trying to install a heavier duty flexplate will normally pass the problem to the transmission. Correcting the cause of the misalignment is the only repair that will give permanent results."

http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/220

Get to the cause of the misalignment and repair it. I like flexible flywheel instead of flexplate, personal preference.

Randy

Last edited by 320iAman; 01-17-2019 at 03:12 PM.

My Cars
    ‘81 E21 320i
    Would not be surprised if the rear seal leaks.

Or if the whole thing catches fire and burns me to death the next time I try to start it.

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    Frankly, if you tried to sell it in that condition where it sits in Arizona you'd probably have to lower the price to $1500.

Last time a car broke down on me, I took a bus home and next day rented a tow dolly and went down with my pickup and hauled it home. But it was only 20 miles away. And it was a bad fuel pump that i probably could have got working just by tapping on it.

My Cars
    ‘81 E21 320i
    I’m aware that the price would have to be way lower. I’m even considering salvage.

But I’m getting help and if things work out better that I expect, maybe I’ll end up driving it home. We’ll see.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Yeah,,consider all options,, rent a u-haul with tow dolly and bring it home,car transporter whom is hungry for business,ect Consider it an investment to fix up,, I was at pick n pull and a fellow there told me about his BMW 2002 experiences--he said he sold one before the prices spiked in these and he still regrets it many years later that he did not keep it and let it go for such a cheap price.

Randy

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I have mentioned this before yet here goes,,In Germany many of the most expensive classics that are sold were bought new or used then reconditioned new and then kept for a long time,,when there children are ready to go to college they sell there classic and there education is paid for plus some new goodies for wifefy... Food for thought.

Your all Welcome

Randy
    Last edited by 320iAman; 01-18-2019 at 10:56 AM.

My Cars
    '82 320i
    Keep it. Yeah, it will be a pain in the short run, but in the long run, you'll regret it. Keep it.

My Cars
    81 320i, 98 318ti
    Tow it home, fix it (or have it fixed) and sell it when its back in running condition without issues. Non running car (any car) is worthless...

Sometimes it pays off to ship the car cross country, especially if bought unseen... No reason to blame the car that its 40 year old starter finally gave up after driving it at 80MPH for hours and hours.

Max

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

U-haul has car transport open trailers for rent and a truck to rent if needed.

Randy

My Cars
    ‘81 E21 320i
    It’s towed, and in good hands. A couple problems caused by the first mechanic’s attempt were caught, too. Torn vacuum stuff I can replace.

Flex plate arrived today, too. With the help I’m getting ( thanks so much Old Man) it’s looking better.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Awesome!!! I bet you are feeling a lot better about it too!

My Cars
    ‘81 E21 320i
    Yes, definitely. Going from 'I'm stuck alone with this car in the desert that people didn't tell me the whole truth about' to 'I'm clear on what needs to be done to make this work, and people are helping me out.' Makes a difference.

My Cars
    BMW E21
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgee View Post
    Yes, definitely. Going from 'I'm stuck alone with this car in the desert that people didn't tell me the whole truth about' to 'I'm clear on what needs to be done to make this work, and people are helping me out.' Makes a difference.

you'll look back in a few months and laugh at this memory! it's a ride.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 2.8
    I agree with what mrvis said above. About 2 years ago I flew out to Las Vegas from Texas to pick up a 1984 528e that I bought over the phone. Flew out, bought the car, and started from home all in the same day. Big mistake! I was punch drunk tired, and it was going dark by the time I started out for home. The car ran well enough, but I was unfamiliar with the controls and several of the instrument lights did not work. By the time I stopped for the night at KIngman, Arizona, my fevered brain had convinced me that buying the car was the biggest mistake and had ever made in my life Oh, I forgot to mention that the radio was inoperable, so I was all alone with might thoughts for the whole trip. Long story short, by the time I crossed into Texas my mood was much better, and the car is now one of my favorites. I still enjoy telling the story about how I once went crazy on Interstate 40!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12