Thread: P1188 & p1189 s52

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert fern/Modena

P1188 & p1189 s52

Okay here's what I've got:

1998 M3 - S52 motor. Has a comforti (spelling?) tune, ASC delete, Secondary Air delete (coded into the software too). Recently did the head gasket.

Upon startup, and seemingly only when it's sub 50F outside, the engine idle is high, around 1,000RPM then drops after a minute or so to it's usual ~500 RPM or so, OR if you tap the gas it drops to normal immediately. Plenty of power, no hunting or high idle after that. If I clear the codes, the light seems to come back after maybe 3 key cycles and maybe 5 min of driving. Other than the dash light, you cannot notice an issue aside from that initial high idle.

Things I've checked:
    intake and exhaust manifolds for tightness
    inspected intake boot, ccv hose
    new with head gasket items: spark plugs, idle control valve, CCV, CCV hose, engine temp sensor, MAF (I have two and I have swapped them, the codes still come back)
    new air filter
    new fuel filter

haven't checked fuel trims

I will try: swapping 02 sensor plugs (saw something on that somewhere, and maybe I've swapped them during the reassembly mistakenly)

I'm kind of at a loss. Everything seems to point to a vacuum leak, but I cant find one. Could it be bad pre-cat O2 sensors since I had a bad head gasket and was burning coolant? It was cyls 5&6, so you would think it would only be one O2S if that was the case. I guess that is my question since I have some work to do still - could O2 sensors cause this? If so, any tips on testing them? Resistance values or anything?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Yes it is possible that the pre-cat sensor plugs are reversed. It's also possible that the sensors are bad.

Your high idle could simply be a worn throttle cable or something with the linkage.

Did you have the head professionally checked, for cracks and flatness?
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    I looked those codes up at work and they seem to correspond to both precat O2 sensors.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    You need a smoke test done to identify all vacuum leaks. P1188 and 89 are for lean running identified. It does not mean that the oxygen sensors themselves are bad.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert fern/Modena
    When I did the head I did have it checked and resurfaced yes. It’s definitly not a stretched/worn throttle cable. Didn’t do it before, and doesn’t act up after it comes back down. Idles smooth too. I’m going to see about a smoke test - it’s got to be beyond small at this point, or something I can’t get to. I’ve tightened everything and looked at all tubing. I might try reversing the o2 sensors and see what happens first too. Thanks all.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert fern/Modena
    Sorry for the long delay in follow up. Hadn’t touched it in a while. I got new O2 sensors after seeing the one wasn’t alternating voltage like it should. Was super excited to have solved this issue and just like that the light came back on. So I finally ended up smoke testing the car. Took a very large amount of smoke to produce the tiniest leak in the intake manifold gasket by cyl1 (so small that without a light right on it you’d miss it). Replaced the gasket, cleaned and inspected everything, including smoke testing the manifold off the car, and put it all back together with new gaskets. Thought for sure that would be it but it wasn’t. The codes came back again! As a refresher, I’ve replaced/checked:
    intake and exhaust manifolds for tightness
    inspected intake boot, ccv hose
    new with head gasket items: spark plugs, idle control valve, CCV, CCV hose, engine temp sensor, MAF,
    new air filter
    new fuel filter

I’m thinking maybe I should run some injector cleaner. Anything else? I will say I don’t know that either maf is bmw oem they’re both aftermarket I believe (I know one is for sure). I have read that the maf is a picky item if it’s aftermarket.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    With the SAP delete was the valve removed and the exhaust manifold sealed ?
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert fern/Modena
    It was, with gasketed block-offs. Actually that’s another thing I did - put the SAP back in before I did the o2 sensors.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert fern/Modena
    tested fuel pressure and the regulator - both checked out okay. Reverse smoke tested to test the crankcase side via dipstick tube (read somewhere going through the intake neglects to test that side of the engine), not a single leak except pre-maf at the mating point between the air box and the maf (even then super small - and shouldn't be causing these codes as its metered air). Put fuel injector cleaner in, lets see what happens I guess. I'll have a stroke if I did all this stuff when I should have started with fuel injector cleaner. Serves me right for not checking the easiest stuff first I guess.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert fern/Modena
    HAHAHA Sorry to hit you all with my own thread resurrection, but it has to be done. Thought I buttoned this issue up about 6mos ago, but being ever superstitious I didn't post a solution or take it off my to-do board. Well, last week I removed it from my to-do board, and I swear the next day the issue reared its ugly head yet again! When I "fixed" the issue, I cleaned up a bunch of contacts on the TPS, MAF, and DME. Ran rough for a second like it was re-learning, and after that no issues. Fast forward to today, and I've redone all that, and replaced the TPS thinking it's got to be that since its one of the only remaining sensors. Then I started wondering if I just had some dirty injectors, so i started testing. One of the first steps I took was to look up the ohms resistance, and that is when I saw what I am here to ask: My injectors (1998 S52 M3) are GREEN. In looking at injectors for an S52, they seem to all be pink. Not just replacements on like rock auto or ECS or anything, but on the forums too. Apparently the S50 has greens. Could this be my issue? (I think so) Am I right in my conclusion that an OBD2 S52 1998 M3 should have pink injectors, not green?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    That could be the problem, but your issue is at cold start up? The engine should have learned the injectors and you would only have problems if you were fuel starved at high rpm. You should properly smoke test the engine to find alll vacuum leaks.

If you do replace the injectors DEFINITELY get the new bosh ones, they are a bit longer and are black. You will need a spacer for the fuel rail bolts and slightly longer bolts. There are a few sites that sell them, I think rockauto has them too.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Vert fern/Modena
    smoke tested (multiple times and ways!), no issues. Originally I noticed some higher idling upon cold start - not really sure what that was/is about - but it is independent of this issue, I believe it's just the idle control valve and AIR pump working to warm the car up faster to save the planet from NOx, but its a non-issue, at least in relation to this. And its 250-500rpm or so high, not insane. I triple checked sources for injectors, all have the pink tops and a different part number than what is in my car currently. I am running the s50 injectors, which run leaner, and would explain why my STFT is positive. Waiting on a set to see if they will fix this issue - my thought is that even with correction, the DME cant fully correct, or that it thinks it is correcting, but the injectors respond differently than what the DME thinks they should be doing. Queue in the O2S and they tell a different story, and then I get the codes. Would also explain why everything I've tested seemed to test good and yet this issue remains! Fingers crossed this is it!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Nope, I know the problem, its the aftermarket MAFS. I've been through this, its total bullshit. 100000% the problem is the aftermarket MAFS. You have to get a Siemens either used or brand new $$$. I've tested the output from aftermarket brand new units and it does not have the same profile as a true OEM Siemens unit, so it throws off the STFT and LTFT. It's fucking crazy that big aftermarket manufacturers cannot copy the output of the original, the computer does not like it and will not adapt to it. You should also have software to clear your adaptations when changing out sensors.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Sorry but gotta resurrect this thread. I have the same issue, although i have not smoke tested the car yet. Since im near 200k, i decided swapping o2 sensors was a good idea. Also did an m50 swap so i had the chance to renew a few vacuum lines. Currently running fuel cleaner. OP, did you end up fixing the cursed code pair? I also noticed that i had green tip injectors, and broke a couple so i bought some from oreilly and they were pink tip. Also have an aftermarket MAF which ive cleaned.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Use INPA