Thread: Car dosent start! Cranks but dosent start

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i conv

Car dosent start! Cranks but dosent start

Car was running then turned off on its own. Replaced fuel pump, relays, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs and still no success. 89 325i convert.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Do you see any movement when you take off the oil cap and look inside while cranking? Also: does the starter sound like it’s spinning real quickly? (Possible timing belt issue)
    Any movement of the needle of the rpm gauge while cranking? (Possible crank position sensor issue)
    Last edited by 323i E30; 01-15-2019 at 06:55 AM.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    I would for sure pop the oil cap and have someone crank it while you look inside for movement. if its not that, check the crank sensor, on the front of the engine and if you have the fuel injection harness that has a connection under the intake/behind the throttle body, check that connection too. they usually get bad corrosion behind the ends, when you pull back the rubber boot. this will shut you down also
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i conv
    Thanks ill check it out today and keep you guys posted.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i conv
    Changed the cps, cap and rotor. Still nothing. Looked inside the oil cap and there is movement. Still nothing.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Just starting from scratch:

You have a strong battery -- and the car cranks over multiple times without firing..

You definitely have fuel to the fuel rail (since you replaced the pump - Im assuming so - since you also checked the relay)?

You replaced the plugs but did you verify you have spark at the spark plug?
    Last edited by 95BMWIC; 01-17-2019 at 12:27 AM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i conv
    Changed the relays and now car is starting but dies quickly.

- - - Updated - - -

Also checked i am getting power to the pump i believe. Put a volt meter to it and its reading 11 voltz

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    The pump will make a buzzing sound when the key is on. 11 volts is ok - The pump is on the passenger side.

The fuel pump relay is located under the cover on the drivers side (the one with the main relay - 3 total).

How quickly does the car die? Does it run for a bit (10 sec? 20 sec) or just immediately?

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    A few things before I head off to bed -

Make sure you have a few gallons in the tank (Im sure you do).

Double check for an obvious vacuum leaks.. make sure all the connectors are connected.

If the car immediately dies after firing - try unplugging the AFM - then restart to see if it runs longer.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i conv
    Update: got the car to idle for about 30 minutes after giving it gas for about 3 minutes (keeping it steady at about 1000 rpms). Once it was idling on its own and i tried to give it gas it dies. Im able to get the car running again but the same thing happens.

My Cars
    sounds like the afm but maybe a clogged muffler or catalytic converter?

once the car is started, go feel the exhaust coming out. is it a bunch, like it tried to push your hand off if you cover the pipe? or you can easily hold it on?
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i conv
    Update: changed the fuel injectors and idle air control valve and now car is not starting.

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Sounds like you are changing a bunch of random parts.. You might get lucky and "fix" the problem - however you might be spending a lot of time, money and energy replacing things you don't have to. If these parts are NOT new then you could really be causing confusion as used parts could be bad also.

You have changed the fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filter and fuel regulator and now the fuel injectors - at this point - I think you can rule out fuel delivery.

You replaced the idle control valve - Why? what made you think it was this part? Did you check the AFM? (Unplug it - start and see if it idles unplugged).

Do you have a Bentley manual to help assist you?

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    Take out the spark plugs, reconnect them to the wires, ground them to the head, crank the starter, make sure you have good spark. Put them back in the head. Then, take the injectors and fuel rail back out, and reconnect the injector harness and fuel lines outside the engine. Crank the engine and see if the injectors are spraying fuel. (Don’t do these tests simultaneously or you will be solving more problems than you bargained for)

My Cars
    1989 BMW 325i conv
    I changed all the parts because they were in bad shape. The cap and rotor were broken completely. The idle control valve was basically falling apart. All the parts being installed are new. I do not have a bentley manual. I will try the afm and that spark plug method. Thank you for the help and i will keep you guys updated.

My Cars
    To bad you are so far. I am in corpus. If you were closer, i could come over and help

When it idled.for those 30 mins, since thsn you changed all the new studf and nothing now.

You verified spark by pulling a plug? You made sure you ave fuel by listening for the pump and also pulling the line from the driver side of tue pressure regulator?

- - - Updated - - -

Under the throttle body, tucked ajust above and in front of the starter is a good size connection. It should twist apart. Dont take it apart yet but pull back the rubber boot from the bottom half of the connector. Is it all corroded and maybe some broken wires? If so, cut the connector out by clipping the wires, one at a time, as close to the connector as possible and splicing them straigjt to each other
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    e82, e34 touring, e21
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroldgod View Post
    Car was running then turned off on its own. Replaced fuel pump, relays, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, spark plugs and still no success. 89 325i convert.
    Did you replace the fuel sending unit on the fuel pump? This video might help. The fuel pump, fuel relay, fuel filter, sparks, cap and rotor, battery clamps, etc.,

BMW E30 No start (FIXED): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kEPJbUuZJI
    Last edited by mossberg128i; 01-27-2019 at 04:03 PM.

My Cars
    1987 e325i sedan
    i am a simple man.

a motor is air, fuel, and fire.

your missing one of these things. so find out what your missing and work backwards.

(ie, spark, plug, wire, cap, ect... Fuel; injector, pressure rail, line, filter.)

it is a very German way to address working on a German car so should make short work of the issue.