Thread: Self immolation

My Cars
    00 540_6

Self immolation

I need some parts for my 2000 540I
    https://nh.craigslist.org/cto/d/nash...773576521.html
    https://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/pt...790498444.html

I want body parts off of the Silver one. The parts I need are rust free. Thinking buy both and swap the silver trans into the red car, perform some TLC and sell for a small profit.
    pull anything I might want off of the silver car for spares and scrapping the carcass...

Some from the "breakers" Is this worth the effort?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Good thread title
    So, if you invest something a bit less than $2k you will have the pleasure of swapping engines, the additional expense of the inevitable bits you'll need and be left with a hulk.
    At the end of the day you'll have a $2k car

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528IA
    M4? Car is perfect, further down it doesn't drive

My Cars
    00 540_6
    Quote Originally Posted by Perern View Post
    M4? Car is perfect, further down it doesn't drive
    The owner is obviously not an enthusiast. Its been on there for a long time... posted multiple times, he is getting desperarate to get rid of it.
    My 540I had the guides and chains done right before I bought it....
    I want body parts off of that one to replace damaged ones on mine, take the trans and the other "spares" and junk it.
    get the red one, or another 540i in need of a trans transplant, swap it in, clean it up... drive it long enough to sort any issues and sell it.
    Last edited by toybreaker; 01-14-2019 at 11:41 AM.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Love the sales pitch on the silver one, “Make me a damn offer”. Lol
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2003 525i
    A Buddhist e39 from Tibet? Neat.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    The silver one is deleted, so I guess you bought it?

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Good thread title
    LOL agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    So, if you invest something a bit less than $2k you will have the pleasure of swapping engines, the additional expense of the inevitable bits you'll need and be left with a hulk.
    At the end of the day you'll have a $2k car
    No, not really.

This is more like one of those "buy 2 parts cars because I want the parts for my car, then recoup the cost by making a driving beater out of what was left over" which is significantly different.

But I bet that car from Methuen is pretty played (Methuen/Lawrence/Haverhill not exactly a hotspot for minty well kept garage queens, in fact whenever I see a car listed from there I just move along...) The paint is horrible, left front fender mashed up, can only imagine what the other side that he doesn't want to show us looks like... I think even running you'd be lucky if it was a $2k car.

That said, I bet you can get it for even less than the $750. I might know where there's a car with a bad motor and a lotta stuff stripped but still has a manual transmission and pedals / etc. High miles, but it would probably be super cheap. And a beater flaked paint red '98 540 in manual is always worth more than the same POS with a slushbox. I'd have to check and see if its still around, if interested, PM me.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    00 540_6
    [QUOTE=geargrinder;30183671]The silver one is deleted, so I guess you bought it?

When I reached out He had just sold it.... oh well, there are more silver E39's out there...

he would not tell me what he sold it for though.... I was going to offer $500 and tell him to keep his wheels and sell them for the difference. I have WAY TO MANY E39 wheels....

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    [QUOTE=toybreaker;30183689]
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    The silver one is deleted, so I guess you bought it?

When I reached out He had just sold it.... oh well, there are more silver E39's out there...

he would not tell me what he sold it for though.... I was going to offer $500 and tell him to keep his wheels and sell them for the difference. I have WAY TO MANY E39 wheels....
    Couldn’t the help but notice your last sentence.... if you need to let some go, let me know what you have!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    00 540_6
    That said, I bet you can get it for even less than the $750. I might know where there's a car with a bad motor and a lotta stuff stripped but still has a manual transmission and pedals / etc. High miles, but it would probably be super cheap. And a beater flaked paint red '98 540 in manual is always worth more than the same POS with a slushbox. I'd have to check and see if its still around, if interested, PM me.[/QUOTE]

Well if the hood, Drivers fender and Drivers door are not rusty or beat to hell I might be interested for the right price. A tree fell on my car before Thanksgiving......