Thread: Clunking Noise

My Cars
    E30 318i

Clunking Noise

Hi guys, I am a proud owner of a 1990 E30 M40 four door. Love the car to bits. I just had all the front bushings and brakes overhauled she runs beautifully. I didnt get the chance to do the rears though.

Regarding the rears I have a slight issue. There is a clunking noise when I let off the gas pedal then back on it immediately or when I release the throttle immidiately after part throttle. They checked that the guibo is in good nick, no cracks or tears. The mechanic reckon it is from the diff mount.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

Sent from my SM-P355 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would be looking at the diff mounts rack the car the put into first then reverse have the tech watch

My Cars
    '87 325is, '14 Focus ST
    Check rear shock mounts, rear subframe mounts. It could also be your motor mounts. Or this little thing (#15).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_0073

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I would be looking at the diff mounts rack the car the put into first then reverse have the tech watch
    Ok thanks.. I will look it it then

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by pengajim View Post
    Check rear shock mounts, rear subframe mounts. It could also be your motor mounts. Or this little thing (#15).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_0073
    Thanks for ur advice. I did change Motor mounts yesterday. The clunking noise was still there. I'm 100% sure it is coming from the back. Somewhere around the diff area

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1987 e325i sedan
    drive shaft bearing too. basically get in there with a light crowbar and see what is moving.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    does it kind of steer itself if you are on a straight road and let off the gas, or when you give it gas again while rolling? if it is, I would check subframe or rear trailing arm bushings. I cannot think if I ever had a noise with those needing replacement though. I cannot remember. I know the rear upper shock mounts will make noise on bumps
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    does it kind of steer itself if you are on a straight road and let off the gas, or when you give it gas again while rolling? if it is, I would check subframe or rear trailing arm bushings. I cannot think if I ever had a noise with those needing replacement though. I cannot remember. I know the rear upper shock mounts will make noise on bumps
    I did notice that the bushings on the outer part of the subframe, in front of the rear wheel are completely shot. So, i think i will change all the bushings and fingers crossed the knocking sound is completely gone

My Cars
    that could do it than. that is what holds that rear assembly from moving while driving or hitting bumps.

those are hard to get out, I had to melt them out of my son's car subframe. since we never ever wanted to have to do it again, we put in urethane mounts from garagistic. I figured those will last longer than we will
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    E30 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    that could do it than. that is what holds that rear assembly from moving while driving or hitting bumps.

those are hard to get out, I had to melt them out of my son's car subframe. since we never ever wanted to have to do it again, we put in urethane mounts from garagistic. I figured those will last longer than we will
    Yes, it turns out that the bushings are completely torn apart. So I replaced every bushing I can find since I have to take out the entire rear subframe so that at least I know I wont have to do it again until they fail which is gonna be a while. I still go for the regular rubber bushing though coz I read that with urethane bushing, the ride can be a bit harsh

My Cars
    if it is, its not from that one. but its fine, the rubber ones will last many many years
    No e30s again.