Thread: PLEASE HELP!!! Rare Vintage Momo Motorsport Steering Wheel

My Cars
    '08 550i & '82 323i Baur

PLEASE HELP!!! Rare Vintage Momo Motorsport Steering Wheel

I thought I'd reach out to the Bimmer community and see if anyone can help me find the origin of this vintage Momo Motorsport steering wheel. I've only seen one about 20 years ago and my Google search was unsuccessful. Does anyone know anything about this steering wheel?? I appreciate any info you can provide!

Also as a side note, I'd be open to parting with the steering wheel for the right price. It's in really good shape for its age.

IMG_5145 by Evan Lavoie, on Flickr

IMG_5147 by Evan Lavoie, on Flickr

My Cars
    90 ix, 91 i & ic, 02 325
    Could just be a MOMO Type V36 that had been recovered at some point..?

I don't believe they are rare... unless you are thinking the colored strips of leather were for a specific BMW model - as I didn't think the V36 was made to be model specific (such as an M3) or anything like that. You just need a hub adapter to fit on Porsche Mecedes BMW VW etc. Horn button is MOMO.

MOMO Type V36 Part number KBA 70064 -

Here is one on Ebay - wants $150 shipped (but would take an offer):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Momo-steeri...3tEZ:rk:2:pf:0

Most likely would go cheaper.. if someone made an offer

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    The center part pops off. See if its actually a signature edition. I have an e21 signature edition momo from someone and my son said the last one he saw on eBay went for a few hundred.

Could be andretti, could be someone else, who knows. I just think its cool because it came from a 70 something e21 320is and I had a 79 or 80 320 at the time.

My Cars
    '08 550i & '82 323i Baur
    I totally agree that the Momo Type V36 isn't awfully rare, but the M stripes make it very unique. I've seen a couple of them before, but not many. I'm just curious as to the origin. Google hasn't gotten me very far...

My Cars
    Ask in the e21 area, also
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    look what I just found: the emboldened section specifically

This wheel is the Momo Ghibli 4 Motorsport. Black wheel with blue stitching. This wheel was available in magnolia with magnolia stitching. Although shown with a Momo arrow horn boss in the catalog, more commonly seen with the ///M horn boss. 15"/380mm, and although this wheel adds absolutely no horsepower contrary to reports of a 50hp boost, it does make the car faster as the driver can hang on better through the twisties and keep the pedal down. This wheel had a few ads in the Roundel when it came out at very nice pricing. Something like $205 advertised. I don't recall the list price. This was without the hub.

The Momo Ghibli 4 is the same wheel with an all black center pad and black stitching shown in the catalog with the Momo arrow horn button. Also available in magnolia. Again 15"/380mm. This wheel retailed (MSRP) for $359 back in the late 80s.

Additional horn buttons in the left and right spokes, part of the wheel, not the center pad were part of the design of the Ghibli 4 and the M version.

There was a Ghibli 3, a three-spoke that the bottom spoke had interchangeable color inserts of black, red, brown and the Motorsport colors. I have not seen one of these (with the ///M colors).

There are 'skins' used in these horn bosses that are simply a molded clear plastic sheet with the appropriate printing on them whether it be a car manufacturers logo, a racing driver's helmet design or any of the many Momo logos used for this. These go under the clear plastic push of the horn button.

- - - Updated - - -

I found it in the e28 forum. apparently, momo put out the 4 model without getting approval from bmw so there was threats of lawsuit and the 4 was pulled from the stores. I am not sure if the 3 (your model) was ever authorized or not but its something to google
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    '08 550i & '82 323i Baur
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    look what I just found: the emboldened section specifically

This wheel is the Momo Ghibli 4 Motorsport. Black wheel with blue stitching. This wheel was available in magnolia with magnolia stitching. Although shown with a Momo arrow horn boss in the catalog, more commonly seen with the ///M horn boss. 15"/380mm, and although this wheel adds absolutely no horsepower contrary to reports of a 50hp boost, it does make the car faster as the driver can hang on better through the twisties and keep the pedal down. This wheel had a few ads in the Roundel when it came out at very nice pricing. Something like $205 advertised. I don't recall the list price. This was without the hub.

The Momo Ghibli 4 is the same wheel with an all black center pad and black stitching shown in the catalog with the Momo arrow horn button. Also available in magnolia. Again 15"/380mm. This wheel retailed (MSRP) for $359 back in the late 80s.

Additional horn buttons in the left and right spokes, part of the wheel, not the center pad were part of the design of the Ghibli 4 and the M version.

There was a Ghibli 3, a three-spoke that the bottom spoke had interchangeable color inserts of black, red, brown and the Motorsport colors. I have not seen one of these (with the ///M colors).

There are 'skins' used in these horn bosses that are simply a molded clear plastic sheet with the appropriate printing on them whether it be a car manufacturers logo, a racing driver's helmet design or any of the many Momo logos used for this. These go under the clear plastic push of the horn button.

- - - Updated - - -

I found it in the e28 forum. apparently, momo put out the 4 model without getting approval from bmw so there was threats of lawsuit and the 4 was pulled from the stores. I am not sure if the 3 (your model) was ever authorized or not but its something to google
    I did post it on the e21 forum as well. Thank you for helping with the research! It sounds like it may be a rare bird that may have also been recalled. I haven't spent a ton of time Googling, but it's hard to find any other info on the wheel. Although, this is a great start!

My Cars
    I google momo v-36 with m stripes and just checked some different links and one led me to another link which took me to the e28 forum

- - - Updated - - -

I agree though, if bmw stopped momo from making the gen 4, then I imagine the gen 3 is also something to hold on to. especially since so many people have seen the gen 4 but hardly any of seen the one you have
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    VLT. Ex e30 owner
    Hello, i’d Like to buy this steering wheel ! Send me a message on johnone6@hotmail.com.

Thanks !

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    Boy am I ever late to this discussion. I posted what superj attributed to the e28 forum back in Dec 09. Had the Ghibli Motorsport 4 since about 88 and still have it on my ride at times. It gets discussed occasionally on mye28 and was just brought up with a link to this discussion so I thought I would drop in and claim intellectual property rights and well just add to my post count which is low because I only discuss my E23 on here.