Thread: unknown water leak in the trunk ( coupe )

My Cars
    BMW e36 320i

unknown water leak in the trunk ( coupe )

Hi everybody , i'm new here from Belgium . I have got a 1995 E36 320i coupe , i have owned it for 4 years now .

For a couple of weeks now , i have noticed water in the trunk , under the battery and the spare wheel. i have tracked down the water around the hole for the drain tube of the sunroof ( in the right quarter panel ) .

The water isn't coming from the wheel tub ( gets wet without driving ) , the drain tube is all dry , and the headliner isn't wet eather. Got a new trunk and taillight seal. So i'm a little out of ideas ...

It seems like the water is coming from under the fuel filler area , but there is not connexion between the filler neck and the inside of the quarter panel...

could it be coming from the rear quarter window seal ? it is in poor condition around the hedge but i don't think there is a hole under this seal ( would be surprising )

has anyone had this problem before ? please let me know your ideas and possibilities or even better , your solution!

thanks for reading !
    Sam
    Last edited by bellaertsamuel; 01-13-2019 at 02:53 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3
    I have water in my trunk also, and mine is a slick top.

Replacing the trunk seal on my son’s Sedan cured water intrusion with it. I was hoping the same would be the case on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    BMW e36 320i
    is yours coming from the same area ?

In some cases , if your trunk is out of alignment , the trunk seal doesn't do it's job properly and it still leaks

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I have water in my trunk also, and mine is a slick top.

Replacing the trunk seal on my son’s Sedan cured water intrusion with it. I was hoping the same would be the case on mine.

When you pulled of the old seal, was there a grayish sticky stuff on the metal flange/edge?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bellaertsamuel View Post
    Hi everybody , i'm new here from Belgium . I have got a 1995 E36 320i coupe , i have owned it for 4 years now .

For a couple of weeks now , i have noticed water in the trunk , under the battery and the spare wheel. i have tracked down the water around the hole for the drain tube of the sunroof ( in the right quarter panel ) .

The water isn't coming from the wheel tub ( gets wet without driving ) , the drain tube is all dry , and the headliner isn't wet eather. Got a new trunk and taillight seal. So i'm a little out of ideas ...

It seems like the water is coming from under the fuel filler area , but there is not connexion between the filler neck and the inside of the quarter panel...

could it be coming from the rear quarter window seal ? it is in poor condition around the hedge but i don't think there is a hole under this seal ( would be surprising )

has anyone had this problem before ? please let me know your ideas and possibilities or even better , your solution!

thanks for reading !
    Sam
    Did you already fit the trunk and taillight seal and that did not fix it?

My Cars
    99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by klaas View Post
    When you pulled of the old seal, was there a grayish sticky stuff on the metal flange/edge?

- - - Updated - - -

I installed a new seal Sunday. There was a residue on the sheet metal flange. When the rain returns we will see if the trunk is now sealed.

My Cars
    1994 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I installed a new seal Sunday. There was a residue on the sheet metal flange. When the rain returns we will see if the trunk is now sealed.

Ok, im curious if that fixes it, it was the reason for my leak, the bottom right corner go loose and i could see white water marks under it.

Did you just push the new seal on? Did you glue it or did you notice that there is gray stuff preapplied in the new seal (i did)?

My Cars
    BMW e36 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by klaas View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Nope didn't change anything , it seems like the water is coming from the inside of the quarter panel , has i showed in the last picture .

My Cars
    2011 E90 328i
    Powder your baby (car) with baby powder, and look for the water trail thru the powder.