My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,

After 5 years, Im back in an X5. :)

Pics - https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...1jNXN3d0NOUUFR

In late November I decided to sell off the 98 750iL that I accidentally bought and replace it with an X5. I knew I wanted another E53 because of my comfort level with the engineering of the E38's. My search began and I knew I wanted a 4.6is. They are rare and crank out 340hp and is in essence an engine developed by Alpina and then produced by BMW. BMW will not tell me how many X5's were made, the best I can find is between 3k and 4k.

Anyway, I started looking at estoril blue X5's and found that the majority had paint delamination, which turned me off a bit. A full respray on an X5 would be at least $3500 on a good day. I've always like the imola red, but felt it just wasn't for me. But in the end, I was trying to look at the bigger picture without one of the (4) colors it came in ruling.

I ended up on craigslist and found a 2002 4.6is Dinan S2. That got my attention. The original owner ordered it in 2002 and kept it until 3 years ago when he sold it to his personal chef, who lives on his a property. It was sold because they had bought new cars and quit driving the X5 6-8 months ago. It had TRANS.FAIL.SAFE, but overall was just dirty.

It arrived Christmas day and Ive been cleaning it and assessing it since. So far I've sent the Vortech V2 off to Vortech for a rebuild to remove
    any worry there, and it was just time. 107k miles and 17 years. $396 for new bearings and seals, worth it!

Next up is the transmission. I've decided to just rebuild it all and give it a clean slate. Looks to be about $2600 total to knock that out.
    $500 swap labor. $900 rebuild. $275 TC rebuild and $600 valve body rebuild with new solenoids and all.

I've picked up some new subframe bushings to install as well, as what little bit I drove it I felt the rear clunk over speed bumps. I greased the hell out of all the door handle carriers and steam cleaned the interior, they had pets - so it kinda smelled like a doggo. Currently it has an odor eater in the rear cupholder.

A little reading has indicated that it is 1 of 27 Dinan 4.6is X5's on the planet. Some supercharged, some cold air kits, etc.
    It came with brand new winter tires - Blizzaks - and a set of the Syle 87's that BMW applied to the "is" models for those 2 years. I'm ready to
    see those installed.

The only thing i could find "missing" is the rear cargo cover. It's my second X5, I had a 2001 4.4 Sport 5 years ago, that was also missing the cargo cover.

Aside from all that, after I get it rolling again I plan to change all the fluids and see how she does. The PO just did VCGs, new coils and plugs. I got all the original paperwork and window sticker, along with a 4inch thick binder filled with X5 articles and write ups along the way. Glad I found it, otherwise I think it's fate would have been a bit different.

IMG_9589.jpg F22B1F60-F430-4DE0-9FE7-2F713AE91586.jpg
    Last edited by 740ilDuke; 01-13-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    2001 | DINAN 7 Sport | S62 Swapped 6-Speed
    DINAN Springs & Exhaust | 750 Brakes | M-Pars | Monsoons | NBT Nav/Radio
    Dual Pane Glass | Black & Sand Int.

| 750iL | AlpineWeiss III

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Quote Originally Posted by 740ilDuke View Post
    In late November I decided to sell off the 98 750iL that I accidentally bought and replace it with an X5. I knew I wanted another E53 because of my comfort level with the engineering of the E38's. My search began and I knew I wanted a 4.6is. They are rare and crank out 340hp and is in essence an engine developed by Alpina and then produced by BMW. BMW will not tell me how many X5's were made, the best I can find is between 3k and 4k.

Anyway, I started looking at estoril blue X5's and found that the majority had paint delamination, which turned me off a bit. A full respray on an X5 would be at least $3500 on a good day. I've always like the imola red, but felt it just wasn't for me. But in the end, I was trying to look at the bigger picture without one of the (4) colors it came in ruling.

I ended up on craigslist and found a 2002 4.6is Dinan S2. That got my attention. The original owner ordered it in 2002 and kept it until 3 years ago when he sold it to his personal chef, who lives on his a property. It was sold because they had bought new cars and quit driving the X5 6-8 months ago. It had TRANS.FAIL.SAFE, but overall was just dirty.

It arrived Christmas day and Ive been cleaning it and assessing it since. So far I've sent the Vortech V2 off to Vortech for a rebuild to remove
    any worry there, and it was just time. 107k miles and 17 years. $396 for new bearings and seals, worth it!

Next up is the transmission. I've decided to just rebuild it all and give it a clean slate. Looks to be about $2600 total to knock that out.
    $500 swap labor. $900 rebuild. $275 TC rebuild and $600 valve body rebuild with new solenoids and all.

I've picked up some new subframe bushings to install as well, as what little bit I drove it I felt the rear clunk over speed bumps. I greased the hell out of all the door handle carriers and steam cleaned the interior, they had pets - so it kinda smelled like a doggo. Currently it has an odor eater in the rear cupholder.

A little reading has indicated that it is 1 of 27 Dinan 4.6is X5's on the planet. Some supercharged, some cold air kits, etc.
    It came with brand new winter tires - Blizzaks - and a set of the Syle 87's that BMW applied to the "is" models for those 2 years. I'm ready to
    see those installed.

The only thing i could find "missing" is the rear cargo cover. It's my second X5, I had a 2001 4.4 Sport 5 years ago, that was also missing the cargo cover.

Aside from all that, after I get it rolling again I plan to change all the fluids and see how she does. The PO just did VCGs, new coils and plugs. I got all the original paperwork and window sticker, along with a 4inch thick binder filled with X5 articles and write ups along the way. Glad I found it, otherwise I think it's fate would have been a bit different.
    Congrats - looks like you found a good car! Good luck with it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 7-S62, 2002 X5 S2,
    Thanks! Tossing some pics in an album. Ready to be enjoying this thing, I guess the journey is part of the fun, right!
    2001 | DINAN 7 Sport | S62 Swapped 6-Speed
    DINAN Springs & Exhaust | 750 Brakes | M-Pars | Monsoons | NBT Nav/Radio
    Dual Pane Glass | Black & Sand Int.

| 750iL | AlpineWeiss III

@scotthduke on Instagram

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Both of our E53s are missing the cargo cover, so annoying.

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post
    My first E53 was missing the cover. I think they go bad and get tossed. My current 01 E53 still has the cover, but it's got issues.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by burninator View Post

I've got an extra 04-06 cover if anyone local to NJ is looking for one.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    I've got an extra 04-06 cover if anyone local to NJ is looking for one.
    Will you ship?