Thread: Having trouble while trying to diag my 2004 E46 with DIS

My Cars
    318D E46

Having trouble while trying to diag my 2004 E46 with DIS

Hello everyone, wish you a happy new year !!

I searched for a while on the web before creating this thread, but i'm really having troubles trying to read default codes on my car using BMW DIS.

I need to say that i'm totally new to this, i'm using Windows 10 x64 , a K+DCAN USB Interface Cable with a switch (Says "INPA Compatible" on it), and VMWare Player. The problem is i really don't know how to set this cable as it is not recognized by any of my softwares... For example in INPA, the black dots that says "Battery" and "Ignition" will not appear blacked like they should if it was correctly set up.

When i plug the cable in the car, a red light appears, but it's all, even if i turn the key in position 1, 2, or if i turn the car on, or if i use the switch on the cable, INPA and other softwares will not detect the cable, as far as i understood.
    So i read about port settings on the web, checked my laptop port settings, was set on COM1 like it should.
    I also read about EDIABAS.INI files that needed to be modified or something, but i was afraid to touch anything that could mess up my soft installation...
    I also tried to get the DIS working using DiagHead emulator, but no luck with this too i did not managed to connect to the emulated DiagHead in " Connection Setup " menu of the DIS..

Oh and i'm trying to read a 2004 318D E46, M47TU, if it helps...

Sorry about my English guys, and sorry it's one more thread about DIS problems but i'm stuggling for more than a week and i'm starting to lose faith !!

Maybe i should just give up with DIS and try to run properly INPA first and maybe ISTA next? I'm taking any advice...

Thanks in advance !!!

EDIT : I just did a fresh installation of the DIS v44 by following the really nice tutorial Randomy posted here a few years ago, the software has been installed smoothly and i will try to get it working with my K+DCAN Cables tomorrow, hoping it will work !
    Last edited by Sidewayzz; 01-12-2019 at 03:21 PM.

My Cars
    318D E46
    Problem solved yesterday... fully working now

A little question if someone can answer me...
    I deleted my EGR valve ( 2004 e46 318D ) with a bypass kit bought on eBay, and as I expected a warning light as popped on my cluster ( engine light ). So I just plugged my obd2 and erased the error code, but it keeps coming back after 2 or 3 restart of the car.
    Anyone knows how can I mapped it out definitively ? Is it possible by using NCS Expert or something ?

Thanks in advance !

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    ISTA is definitely easier and sometimes better to use than DIS for E46.
    INPA is good for a quick scan.

You need ecu tuning to remove EGR function.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    318D E46
    Thanks a lot for your quick answer 328 Power, truly appreciate !!

I don’t know much about Ecu tuning though... i guess I will have to do this done by a professional tuner since i don’t want to mess things by doing it myself..
    The car is running perfectly fine though with the engine light on on the cluster, it’s just a bit annoying to see it when you drive.

Thanks again !