Thread: '05 X3 Pano leaks in rear Panels even though drains are clear!!!!

My Cars
    2008 bmw 328xi, 2005 x3

'05 X3 Pano leaks in rear Panels even though drains are clear!!!!

Hi all:
    I read a lot of threads on leaky pano roofs but nothing that describes this issue. I found water in the rear compartment (Battery, sides, etc). I cut the rear drain tubes & they were clear both going up to sunroof and down to drain plug. I used compressed air and ran a 12 gauge wire both ways.

As you know, the rear drain holes are under the roof with no access. I noticed, the Cassettes (tracks) seem to have an inside (wider track in the pic above) and outside, narrower track. (pic from the web to show).

Here is the kicker...when I pour water on the outside track (it drains perfectly to the rear drain. However, when I pour water on the inside track, it doesn't drain through the drain tube but comes out of the rear side panels and into the compartment. I can't find a pic of the rear drain hole and how the tracks drain to it. I'm assuming the water probably routes to the same rear drain and some sort of clog has developed somewhere under the roof on the inside track. I used compressed air multiple times and still happens.

I can't see it without taking the headliner off and was hoping someone can send me a pic/diagram of the rear drains. As I said, the outside track drains fine.
    Thanks Much in advance,
    Harry

Last edited by hfount; 01-12-2019 at 10:34 AM.

My Cars
    X3
    Following same exact issue. Looking for the drain exit if one exists?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    The next step would I think lower the rear part of the headliner to see what's going on. The sunroof cassettes are Plastic and plastic can crack. I recently fix a leak i had thru the roof antenna grommet, but I did remove rear drain hoses and check for clogs and junk all was clear.

My Cars
    X3
    Thank you for your replay. Trying to locate the rear drain hose first. Can you tell me where it’s at? 2008 X3

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Are you sure the inside track is even supposed to be connected to a drain? The drains are there only because the glass doesn't seal perfectly to the body and there needs to be a way to get rid of the unavoidable water that enters. But that water shouldn't get to any sort of "inside" track. It flows to the gutter closest to the outside edge and then flows out the drain. I don't think that there is a secondary gutter to drain away water.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2008 bmw 328xi, 2005 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Are you sure the inside track is even supposed to be connected to a drain? The drains are there only because the glass doesn't seal perfectly to the body and there needs to be a way to get rid of the unavoidable water that enters. But that water shouldn't get to any sort of "inside" track. It flows to the gutter closest to the outside edge and then flows out the drain. I don't think that there is a secondary gutter to drain away water.
    After pulling the headliner down (partially) in the back corner, I saw there isn't a drain for the inside track. If water gets in there, it runs into the back compartment.
    So there are two ways to have water in the back compartment:
    1) Outside track drain is clogged or
    2) water gets into the inside track.

On my '05, cleaned the drains, closed the Pano roof and poured a quart of water over the roof and didn't expect any water at all to drain with a closed roof. Well, I heard a lot of water coming down the rear drain and out through under the bumper. I was shocked! The roof obviously isn't sealing correctly.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Since the inner and outer tracks aren't connected, there's no way for water directed to the outer track to get into the inner track, so it will be directed to the drain. (Unless you leave the sunroof open, but then the inner track directing water to the interior won't be much of an issue vs. the water getting into the interior via the open roof).

And the sunroof seal isn't supposed to seal the roof perfectly, that's why there are gutters and drains.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.