Thread: 97 m3 rear suspension overhaul questions

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3

97 m3 rear suspension overhaul questions

I have just purchased a 97 M nearing 200k. I want to do a complete overhaul and start with the rear. My question is regarding the rear subframe. If I am replacing all the bushings throughout rear suspension, would it make more sense to take it apart piece by piece on the car rather than dropping the rear suspension all in one shot by removing the subframe with everything still attached to it? All the DIYs I see are people dropping everything at once but I worry about balancing all that on my jack. This will be done in a garage on stands. I am still also looking for a solid DIY for the rear subframe bushing replacement.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    There's no need to drop it all at once, work at you own pace. Watch some youtube videos.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Definately easier with the subframe dropped. I did mine on jackstands as well. No way to change subframe bushings without dropping it. Everything else can be done while its attached but it is not very spacious. Dropping the subframe might take you an hour (lift car, undo e brake cable at handle, remove cat back section of exhaust disconnect drive shaft from diff, then undo the 4 subframe bolts.) Maybe 2 hours to replace all the bushings if you have the right tool, then take a break and mount it all back up the next day.
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 01-12-2019 at 01:07 PM.

My Cars
    2017 F150, 97 M3
    I wasn't saying I was trying to avoid dropping the sub frame. I was saying I'd prefer to take the differential out of the sub frame, then take off some other parts from the subframe to reduce the weight and size of everything resting on a jack. I was a little uneasy about lowering that whole structure on a jack. In the end I think the total time may be similar since you have to take all the parts off to change the bushings anyway. Is there any places that rent the special bushing tools?

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Advance auto parts has loaner tools, not sure if they have one that will fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoWcjEKbYck
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    Take the differential out and you can drop everything else out in one go. I didn’t have much trouble balancing it on my floor jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 328i
    It helps to have another set of hands for this job. It is pretty easy to drop it all as one unit, but then disassembling it off the car is harder then doing it while its on the car. Personally id take my time and pull each piece one at a time. It will all need to be apart anyway to change everything.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk