Thread: E36 ABS/Brake Line Swap Question

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is

Post E36 ABS/Brake Line Swap Question

Installing ABS into my e36 LS Swap racecar. 3 channel system and CXRacing swap kit, so everything looks great. shifting the pump an inch and fabricating a heat shield should get everything in place, but wanting to discuss best options for front brake lines.

- Have to splice in appropriate bubble flares/fittings anyway since existing lines are standard flare.
    - Would anyone weigh in on using banjo bolts/soft lines (AN teflon braided) for the fronts lines to improve header clearance and ease of install?
    - Best place to buy said lines?
    - Spec for lines? (AN3, but what ends)

Just wanted to use the group to make a decision for me on a path forward so I could wrap it up. Otherwise, I guess I am heading to autozone for hard lines with bubble flares (or buying short ones on ECS tuning) and then going to splice them into the existing hard lines and bend them myself.

Anyone have any short pieces of bubble flared hardlines and/or any of the ABS pigtails (Ecu or pump pigtail) so I can wire the standalone harness? I have money, just let me know where to send it .

Thanks in advance BFC!!!

My Cars
    LS E46
    Well ABS in a “race car” isn’t really a thing - just wait til you’re spinning off track and can’t get the car to stop changing direction because you can’t get the brakes to lock up.

As far as using soft lines by your headers - you’re joking right? This really doesn’t sound like a bad idea to you? Buy cupronickel line. It’s kind of expensive but it bends super easy and looks beautiful.

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    I'm not really sure. The stock fluid line from the reservoir to the ABS pump is soft flex. Not a pressure line, but in terms of heat. Many v8 swappers have left that setup right next to the new header without issue. Teflon in steel braid seems like it would be more durable than that. As for me, I just bit the bullet and ran hard lines from the existing location to the front left corner, both directions, and mounted the pump up there in the clear. Bubble flares for all joints, including the unions. It was a little tedious, but I'd do it again.
    If God meant for man to motor-swap LS engines into track cars, He wouldn't have created Corvettes.

My Cars
    1999 E36 LS1 1998 TJ LS6
    You can get the ni cad brake lines at Oreilly's in bubble flares. It comes in various lengths. If you have to it's easy to cut and bend. With a good flare tool it flares like butter.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Went there today! Will give it a shot.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    I got a 25 foot roll from Advance Auto as per suggestions on this board. I used nearly every bit of it too with the 1997 model ABS using the Vorshlag bracket. With good tools (thanks Tipsy!) it is only a tedious job. Likely it was the most challenging part of the project for us.

Others have used the soft line, but I'd think the hardline is more secure as long as it is protected from chafing.

We add some heat protection and zip ties to keep things in line and non-contact.

We have more work to do to electrically hook up the ABS (harness extension) as well as possibly adding wires back into the engine harness, but all 4 tires will lock up and that is ok for now!

Good Luck!

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Thanks Tim! You in Northern Florida by chance?

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    Was in Tampa, car is now stored in Iowa, and I'm enroute to Germany for a few years...(un)fortunately.

The Nycopp is very easy to work with...especially if you have quality tools. Otherwise everything was available at Advance (some at Autozone I believe).

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mc View Post
    I got a 25 foot roll from Advance Auto as per suggestions on this board. I used nearly every bit of it too with the 1997 model ABS using the Vorshlag bracket. With good tools (thanks Tipsy!) it is only a tedious job. Likely it was the most challenging part of the project for us.

Others have used the soft line, but I'd think the hardline is more secure as long as it is protected from chafing.

We add some heat protection and zip ties to keep things in line and non-contact.

We have more work to do to electrically hook up the ABS (harness extension) as well as possibly adding wires back into the engine harness, but all 4 tires will lock up and that is ok for now!

Good Luck!
    That looks amazing. Mine look like crap in comparison and this has inspired me to take the time to redo them.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3
    dumetre: Thanks. We are proud of the finished product, but the zip ties really add form to the setup. We are not proud of the original steel brake lines just prior to the custom nycopp lines - we did insulate them with split fuel line and additional zip ties to keep from rub thru, etc. Notice also we raised the Vorshlag bracket (thanks to Tipsy once again) above and outboard from the engine to gain additional clearance from the engine (mainly from heat - later we did insulate with heat shielding).

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Tim,

Zip ties! Genius. Pics of heat shielding job pretty please? Going to replicate.

My Cars
    1997 M3 / 5.3

In hindsight, we should have done the heat shielding prior to the brakelines...bit of a pain to slide stickybacked shielding behind the lines without disturbing things.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Thanks Tim! Fantastic work and I am headed to auto store now.

Now just have to find a used 3 channel ABS harness....
    Last edited by olemiss540; 01-27-2019 at 12:24 PM.