Thread: E31 Help Needed - White smoke, seat removal

My Cars
    1995 840ci

E31 Help Needed - White smoke, seat removal

Hi All,

I've recently had a 1995 840ci delivered to me. An absolute dream car for me.

Unfortunately, it looks like I might have bought a bit of a pear. There are a few issues (some of which I was aware of) which need addressing. Thankfully, there's a lot of information out there which is really helpful. However, there's a couple of things which I'm struggling with...

The first issue is white smoke on acceleration. I know that this is regularly attributed to head gasket failure, but neither oil/coolant are low and there's no 'mayonnaise' under the oil filler cap. Also, from what I've found on the M60B40 engine, it would be uncommon for the HG to fail. Is there anything else which commonly causes this with this engine?

I need to remove both front seats - the drivers seat forward/backward motor isn't engaging and the passenger seat tilt lever is broken. The problem which I'm having is that the drivers seat won't move forwards or backwards to access the bolts. Is there another approach?

The final issue which I've got is a vibration/judder from the rear. Anything to look at initially here?

Thanks in advance,
    Ryan

My Cars
    93 850ci 6 Spd/2021 530e
    The white smoke could be valve stem seals.

The following link will show you how to access the bolts to remove your seats. Just go to the table of contents to find the instructions for the seats.
    https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/721en/index.htm

There are threads on this site which show how to fix the seats if the problem is the seat cable. Just do a search for these. Also, be aware the seat is very heavy so you may need someone to help you lift it out of the car.

Congratulations on the purchase of your car. Hopefully, the smoke is from something other than the head gasket.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    It's pretty cold in the UK at the moment - and the big BMW's do bung out a LOT of steam until full exhaust temperature is reached - here's what mine looks like on a cold morning:

If the smoke is blueish then it is probably burning oil - and the most likely cause on the 840ci is the PCV - quite an easy job on the E31 and described here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/PCV/Index.htm

It is worth checking the loom under the seat - mine was disconnected when I bought my last E31 - probably caused by something sliding around on the floor:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/Front_Seat_Repair.htm

Vibration at the rear under acceleration is quite likely to be the rear CV joint - a common problem (had it on both E31's and an E38) - the grease hardens and the propshaft fails to centralise - fortunately the CV joint is replaceable as a separate part and reasonably cheap = more on the propshaft here:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/e38/e38_remove_propshaft.pdf

These are all standard problems with the E31, pretty esy to fix, if this is all that is wrong you have a winner!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    1995 840Ci, 2013 X5
    Welcome aboard! I don't know about white smoke only under acceleration. Most likely condensation. When you blow a head gasket, it smokes white all the time--to the point where it isn't hard to diagnose. What happens if you accelerate then lift off abruptly? If your coolant and oil look normal, it might be something to monitor.

As for seats, the lever that tilts the seat for rear seat access always breaks. The replacement part has been redesigned. It is an easy fix without removing the seat. There is also a lot written if you look up seat twist. The seat won't go forward or backward if it is twisted. Again, a simple fix without removing the seat.

Brett