Thread: Intermittent Starting Issue - DSC/SZL Faults

My Cars
    2011 328i Xdrive

Question Intermittent Starting Issue - DSC/SZL Faults

I bought the car about a year ago and almost immediately it seemed to have some issues starting. I first assumed it was just due to the low temps, as the issue would rarely happen and appeared to resolve quickly, however it seems to be getting worse.

Symptoms (on a fresh start, never happened if the car hasn't sat for more than an hour in my experience):

• Power seats won't move
    • Radio will not turn on
    • warning chimes will not play audibly (like the outside temp/no seatbelt noise)
    • Car cranks, but won't start
    • Attempting to start will cause the wipers to activate. They cannot be turned off (have to turn the car off)
    • The dash will show a number of different symbols (4x4, tire pressure, ABS)

I brought the car in to my local BMW specialty shop, which ran the codes and suggested I replace the SZL/DSC, offering me a 50/50 chance that either would resolve the issue. I started off having them replace the SZL, which did not fix it. Not wanting to be on the hook for another unsuccessful repair, I brought the car into my local BMW dealership, they tested the battery, tested an issue with the comfort access system, replaced a door handle then finally suggested replacing the DSC as well. I brought car back to the first shop, as their quote was about a grand lower, and had them replace the DSC. No dice, issue persists.

At this point, they spent another week doing Diag where they tested the wiring from head to toe, but in the end they were unable to determine what the cause of the issue is.

I researched around and a number of other posts describing similar issues pointed towards the blue relay in the ECU Housing as being a culprit. Replaced this but to not avail.

The shop that did the ECU is suggesting that I take it back to BMW and have them get the engineers involved, but I'd like to see if anyone has any experience with this issue before I spent any more money not fixing this car.

My Cars
    2011 328i Xdrive
    I should note as well that this issue appears to be present prior to attempting to start the vehicle. I can check if the car is going to start by attempting to move the seats when I get in. If they won't move, I know the issue is present and the car will not start. I have thus far been unable to intentionally reproduce the issue either. Sometimes it will go weeks without happening, other times it's daily. It appears worse in the winter, and especially worse lately.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    These cars had issues with the foot well modules, which led bmw to extend the warranty on the part. The foot well module I know for sure controls windows, you think it would control wipers also. Excess ac leakage from the alternator could reek havoc on the electrical system. It's kind of hard to believe thr dealer can't get a handle on it.

My Cars
    2011 328i Xdrive
    The issue is that things like the car not starting and the wipers coming on or the seats not moving are all related to whatever is causing the system to crash. It's incredibly frustrating to have a specialty shop tell you they don't know how to proceed. I just worry that if I return with this car to BMW, I'll end up again chasing down guesses that don't resolve it.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    either some module has an impact on all the problem areas or something like an ignition switch, which in older cars like mine, when they would act up affected all these different areas that normally are separate systems and don't effect each other. Is there any after market electronics in the car, stereo ect. Does the car act up when in the shop