Thread: Long Shot....Looking For Griot's Silver Wheel Paint

My Cars
    '88 M6, '14 X3 '06 911

Long Shot....Looking For Griot's Silver Wheel Paint

I have a Style 5 wheel that needs some touch up (sprayed). I originally painted the wheels with Griot’s Silver Wheel paint back in 2007. Problem is that Griot’s does not sell this paint any longer. I heard that Griot’s was repackaging Wurth Silver Wheel Paint, so I picked up a can this past week – but it is a lighter shade than the Griot’s. I just need to touch up the basket weave and really don’t want to have to redo the center cap too, plus I want it to match the other wheels.
    Here’s the long shot – does anyone have a can of Griot’sSilver Wheel Paint lying around from around 2007 (not sure when Griot's quit selling the paint)? Only need about a quarter of a can and if the can has lost its pressure, that’s not problem.
    Thanks in advance
    Marc

My Cars
    1987 M6
    If you end up in dire straits, hit up a PPG paint supplier. They have scanners that can "read" the shade of your existing paint, and mix up a custom matched, single spray can for you.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    '88 M6, '14 X3 '06 911
    Thanks - might have to go the route

My Cars
    1986 BMw 635 CSi
    I read in another thread stating that Dupli-Color's ford "Silver Frost" was a close match for old OEM BMW wheel silver. I tried it on some style 5 wheel caps - it was an OK match but not perfect, just slightly cooler tone than the original colour. I got a near perfect match with both "magnetic Silver" (DST57) and "Quicksilver" (DSH89). These matched nearly perfectly, being a bit warmer in tone than the Silver Frost.

I also tried "Daewoo Silver" - it was a touch warmer/darker than the original.

...but I guess a lot will depend on the condition of the individual wheels, and fading of paint etc. But the above two may be worth a try if you cannot source what you are after, or if you do not want to spend the 30 bucks on the Wurth paint

My Cars
    1985 M635csi
    I believe I saw the paint on Ebay...They make the gold and silver specifically for BBS wheels

My Cars
    '88 M6, '14 X3 '06 911
    Super info - thanks!

My Cars
    2002tii, 635csi, e36 M3
    The one to use is Krylon Dull Aluminum 1403, then Clear coated. Perfect for wheels.
    Though I have never tried Krylon Automotive Wheel paint...

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Marc I was at the Barrett Jackson Auction today and Griotts had a booth there. The fellows there said the paint should be available on line and if not use the phone number shown and call customer service and they should be able to find it for you.
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    '88 M6, '14 X3 '06 911
    Wow - that was nice of you! Thanks for looking out for me!. Will contact their customer service tomorrow.

--Marc

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Poliakoff View Post
    Marc I was at the Barrett Jackson Auction today and Griotts had a booth there. The fellows there said the paint should be available on line and if not use the phone number shown and call customer service and they should be able to find it for you.
    Things like this are why I want a "Like" button here.

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Poliakoff View Post
    I have to add they could have been blowing smoke to make themselves look good but the bottom line answer will be if you have to go to customer service and what they come up with.
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    87-635 '78-R80/7 '96-960
    It's been a few years, but I've used Dupli-Color wheel paint in past and it was pretty dang close. If it's still available they had 2 or 3 different shades. Forget which shade it was that I used.