Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on a track/DD car that hauls.

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    And it’s still a 2 valve pushrod?
    Yeah, and even the new LT5 is as well.

That thing is simply amazing.

Think about a 6.2 liter V8 - that's two 3.2 liter FOUR CYLINDERS. BMW was making a 240 hp 2.5L 4 banger in the eighties. Just gives you some perspective for how much head room GM still has with that motor without even going to forced induction.

A stock LS3 can make 500 hp with a $120 cam and 600 hp with another $400 in roller rockers and valve springs. That's a 50% increase for less than $600. I don't even want to do the math on the percent increase you get for the easiest $600 for our engine. But it's not even into double digits.

And on top of it all that engine weighs less than ours.

And just for perspective, they may only have 2 valves, but they're almost the size of a damn Coke can. I have an exhaust valve from my Escalade sitting on my desk. They are absolutely massive compared to our car. Everything is.

And pulling the heads was almost simple by comparison. No cam(s) to time, the whole thing was practically fool proof. Hell, you can pull the valve (rocker) cover, loosen the rockers, and then pull the cam out the front of the engine.

I'm taking this as an actual question rather than a jab. I can't help but roll my eyes at people who try to take jabs at the LS. It's quite simply the best motor anyone has ever built.

And I'll back that up.

Japan and Germany make some amazing engines. But at the end of the day, both have regulatory environments that penalize displacement and have driven OEMs to limit engine size - even for their most expensive cars.

In the US we don't have that limitation, and therefore the easiest route to power is displacement. And then you can go ahead and do all the fancy stuff everyone else has had to do with forced induction and get to stupid numbers.

I love my car and all the awesome engineering that's gone into it, but man, that engine is just on a different level.

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    are slow.
    blkstrm, good vid btw:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsmbbuSq9m0

http://nelsonracingengines.com/~nels...nes/chevy.html

2,000 hp 2 valve motors. They flow pretty well.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12