Thread: shut car down, locked, and walked away, then 2 minutes later the flashers all come on

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is

shut car down, locked, and walked away, then 2 minutes later the flashers all come on

So I removed/replaced the clicking flasher relay in the main fuse box, and no change. So far, the search words I'm using come up short of explanations,

Swapped in spare LKM, no change. Disconnected battery then reconnected, no change. Swapped in spare crash control unit relay, no change. Swapped in spare GM, no change.

While the flashers are on, the emergency red triangle flasher on the console is inactive, i.e,. apparently not part of the energizing circuit of the turn signal flashers.

Where are the sensors for the crash module, etc.? What do those orange connections do by the side of the engine bay, and if one were dislodged, what happens?
    Last edited by Dash01; 01-10-2019 at 02:53 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    orange connectors anywhere on the car are for the SRS(airbags) system. The devices you see under the hood are the crash sensors so you can figure what will (not) happen if they are disconnected.
    DON'T fool around with those connections with the key on or you will have the SRS light on the dash which requires the proper device to reset.
    If one of those crash sensors had thought there had been a crash you'd have deployed airbags.
    If you need one of those crash relay modules PM me, I have a few.
    Low battery can make the flashers activate too.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-10-2019 at 05:37 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    E34 535i; E36 325is
    OK, after swapping hazard flasher relay, cash control relay, KLM, GM, disconnecting battery and using alligator clips to short the disconnected battery cables together to zero out any lingering memory, the flashers still flashed on their own.

So, I pulled the black hazard flasher relay and noted that one of the little plastic guides used to seat the relay was bent and sandwiched between the relay and its socket, perhaps blocking proper seating and connections. I straightened that, inserted the flasher relay correctly, and so far it works normally... Stay tuned.