Thread: X3 Heavy Whine at 20mph and cannot go faster

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3

X3 Heavy Whine at 20mph and cannot go faster

Hello,

Brief synopsis, my BMW x3 had the clacking when you take sharp turns problem. I replaced transfer case fluid and solved for a while and everything mostly fine except for that issue.

U joint connecting to transfer case went bad so I replaced the front driveshaft. Shortly after I was getting a bad whine and cant really go faster than 15-20. I had the thought that the old U joint wore out the bearing on the transfer case causing the whine, so I had a new transfer case put in.

Same problem has recurred.

Could it be the front differential?

I have never had transmission issues, axle or wheel issues previously and everything was basically ok before I did the driveshaft. The driveshaft was aftermarket and a cheap one, but the front driveshaft is so simple and it fit perfectly on the vehicle.

Kind of disappointed and wasted a lot of cash, any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    03 540i, 04 X3, 00 328i
    Sorry to hear transfer case replacement didn't fix your issue.

Hard to think of anything that could be directly linked to the drive shaft replacement.

The front differential has bearings obviously, but I wouldn't think it as a likely culprit with typical miles unless you think it has had a fluid issue and has been run dry.

My X3 produced clunking and grinding noises recently when turning, and after I replaced the front axle shafts it went away. It is a common wear item, and my old axles had noticeable amount of play in the joints next to the wheels. I also replaced the wheel bearings while I was there.

If the noise starts already with such a low speed, you might be able to pinpoint where it is coming from by having somebody else drive it while you observe it outside the car.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Get it up on a lift, engine off in neutral, spin individual wheels to pinpoint location of sounds.
    Btw, have you performed a diagnostic scan for codes??? Sensors are helpful when they are communicated with.

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3
    I finally got my BMW back from the shop. I took a video of what sound the vehicle is making. Any guesses anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyIBV8jti0U

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Quote Originally Posted by tommymulligan View Post
    I finally got my BMW back from the shop. I took a video of what sound the vehicle is making. Any guesses anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyIBV8jti0U
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    Get it up on a lift, engine off in neutral, spin individual wheels to pinpoint location of sounds.
    Btw, have you performed a diagnostic scan for codes??? Sensors are helpful when they are communicated with.
    What were the results of the shop visit?

My Cars
    2005 BMW X3
    All they did was swap the transfer case, which did not have an affect on the whine. They were unable to find the time to check out where the sound may be coming from despite it being there since October.

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    Some mechanics are just parts changers, sad but true.

My Cars
    bmw x3 f25 2.0d 184 hp
    Quote Originally Posted by tommymulligan View Post
    All they did was swap the transfer case, which did not have an affect on the whine. They were unable to find the time to check out where the sound may be coming from despite it being there since October.
    Hi! Did you solve the problem? What was it?