Thread: Intermittent 4x4, Hesitation/Stumble on Acceleration, but no Codes (after VCG change)

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540i M Sport

Intermittent 4x4, Hesitation/Stumble on Acceleration, but no Codes (after VCG change)

2008 X3 3.0

Some background: Had the transfer case actuator triad (4x4, Brake, ABS) about six months ago. Did the "budget" repair of rotating the plastic cog such that the worm gear had a fresh set of teeth to engage with. This cleared the lights and I hadn't had any issues....until now.

After putting off a seeping VCG I decided I had to get it done when we could actually smell the burning oil in the cabin. Got the parts, read the DIYs, watched Youtube and got on it. After I got it all back together, lean codes appeared about 2 days later, but car ran fine even during a Las Vegas to San Diego trip (I had to get back as my daughter was starting school). The next day after a doctor's appointment, car started to hesitate/stumble upon initial acceleration and only the 4x4 light flicked on and off. I was able to get home, but no codes popped and no SES. Decided to reinspect my valve cover job and upon doing so, saw that I missed a huge crack/failure in the valvetronic gasket. This explained the oil pooling in that middle valve cover bolt hole. Got a new gasket, carefully installed the motor back in using the hex key to "reel it in" and did the key-to-second position relearn procedure a few times. Started up great, nice idle, and no more lean codes (no codes at all).

But that stumble/hesitation and flickering 4x4 light problem came back after about 5 miles.

I'm hoping that my VCG change didn't cause the stumbling (although I know it's possible/probable?). I've ordered one of the replacement carbon fiber reinforced cogs for the transfer case actuator to see if maybe that will solve the problem (at $10 probably a worthwhile investment anyway).

Any other suggestions if this doesn't work? Could it be a mucked up eccentric shaft sensor (please say no)? Something else entirely?

Thank you.
    Last edited by CW in PB; 01-09-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Forgot vehicle info