Thread: Manual e36 sport seat snapped

My Cars
    1995 318ti

Manual e36 sport seat snapped

I have manual sport seats in my 318ti and the driver seat has recently broken. I was sitting and I heard a snap (sounded like plastic) and then the backing reclined back. The lower section is fine but the back flops around now. It doesn't flop as if you were to just hold the handle up because it only flops about 1/4 of its total travel but it is definitely not suitable for use. I was hoping to fix the seat. My question is can I use the internals and mechanisms from the basic (standard) seats to attempt to repair mine. Although unlikely could I try to use an electric seat? or would I have to find a manual sport seat to either fix my seat or swap my cushions onto? Hopefully, this is enough information to answer my question. I can provide more if needed. Thanks for the help!

Pelican Parts is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '02 E39 Touring
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Take a look at the 2 links below to our site's DIY tech articles on the seat replacement. You're able to use electric seats if you like.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tec...eat-Repair.htm

https://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tec...s-79-Seats.htm
    Your Trusted Source For DIY and Parts
    FREE SHIPPING over $99 click here
    BMW Parts | DIY Tech Articles | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Promos
    888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Yes, you can use frame, parts etc from other sport or non sport manual seats to fix it.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I'm pretty sure that "ti" seats are the sa me as other e36 seats. If that's the case you have lots of options. The sport seat uses the same frame as any other e36 seat. The thigh bolster is bolted on separately. Also you can swap any upper/lower e36 seat cushion onto any e36 seat. So you can find a used seat with nasty leathert and swap your thigh bolster and upper/lower cushions onto it. That plastic seat pan can be swapped over too just in case you find a seat that's a different color. In a couple hours you cxan have a new seat.

If you want to install a power seat thats easy. Just run power and ground to the seat and connect it. Lots of people tap into the cig lighter wires for power.

A couple of warnings. Your seat or the new seat are heated be very careful removing the cushions. The power cords for the heaters pull out pretty easy. Make sure you get a seat from a coupe or vert so it folds forward. The back seat cushion and the frame on 92-94 e36s will not work on your car they are different

My Cars
    1995 318ti
    Thanks to everyone who has replied and helped me decide what to do. I will update you guys when I have done something!

My Cars
    1995 318ti
    Decided on getting a pair of black leather basic seats with some minor tears on them for now. Going to try to fix my stock seats when I get a chance later.