Thread: Intermittent Wipers

My Cars
    2018 BMW 430ix Vert

Intermittent Wipers

Hello. The intermittent wiper function on my 2018 430ix vert doesn’t work. Wipers work on regular and high, but when put on intermittent they swipe once and that’s it. Still under warranty but just checking to see if I’m missing some setting or something before visiting the dealer. Thoughts, etc,?

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Tivbimmer2 View Post
    Hello. The intermittent wiper function on my 2018 430ix vert doesn’t work. Wipers work on regular and high, but when put on intermittent they swipe once and that’s it. Still under warranty but just checking to see if I’m missing some setting or something before visiting the dealer. Thoughts, etc,?
    The 430 doesn't have intermittent wipers. It has rain-sensing auto wipers in the first position, with the sensitivity controlled by the wheel in the stalk.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles

My Cars
    2018 BMW 430ix Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
    The 430 doesn't have intermittent wipers. It has rain-sensing auto wipers in the first position, with the sensitivity controlled by the wheel in the stalk.
    Thanks for the response. I am aware of the rain sensing feature; I should have been more precise in my original inquiry. The wipers do not work at all when set at the first position, even in the rain. Off to the dealer on Monday.

My Cars
    2019 430i xdrive cv
    I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the first position was the rain sensing position and the green LED turns on. Advancing the wheel in the stalk works the intermittent wipers, increasing their speed.

At least that is how my 430 works.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by gkski View Post
    I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the first position was the rain sensing position and the green LED turns on. Advancing the wheel in the stalk works the intermittent wipers, increasing their speed.

Must be a model thing because with my 435i as you turn the wheel, it makes the rain sensor more sensitive so the wiper move more often, but still depend on the rain to activate.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2019 430i xdrive cv
    O.K. I was incorrect. The green LED stays on when the stalk is in the first position and the thumbwheel is turned. I have found that, in practice, this works just like variable speed intermittent wipers do though. One moderate rainstorm, I was amazed how often the wipers wiped when in rain sensing mode.

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    The sensor is in the rear view mirror .
    Any tinting or obstruction , ezPass parking stuff etc that blocks the ‘clown nose’ may interfere with the wiper operation . I’d also clean the sensor with a soft rag and streak free cleaner ( spray on rag then wipe )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi

My Cars
    '14 328xi Sport Line
    Quote Originally Posted by gkski View Post

There are no intermittent wipers.

When the stalk is in the AUTO position on newer models, or you push the button to turn on AUTO, the wipers swipe based on the rain sensitivity. Adjusting the wheel will speed up or slow down the AUTO function sensitivity--all the way up to fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Turbohugh View Post
    The sensor is in the rear view mirror .
    Any tinting or obstruction , ezPass parking stuff etc that blocks the ‘clown nose’ may interfere with the wiper operation . I’d also clean the sensor with a soft rag and streak free cleaner ( spray on rag then wipe )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Clown Nose is NOT the rain sensor. The rain sensor is behind the rear view mirror, flush with the windshield (there's a black area with a little window in the middle of it flush with the glass). You can't interfere with the rain sensor inside of the windshield.
    2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles