Thread: 2018 X2 - Problem receiving text messages

My Cars
    BMW X2

2018 X2 - Problem receiving text messages

I have a 2018 X2, just purchased new in December. The first week that I had the car, I would get a pop up on my display anytime I received a new text message. I could click on it and the car would read the text message to me.

After a week, that stopped. The car makes and receives phone calls fine.

We unpared it and re-pared it. No change. The first time when we set it up the phone gave me the option to check messages and messages appeared on the list car screen options. Now those are both gone.

I have not made any changes to the phone. Didn’t play with any of the settings on the car.

The car is at the dealership now and they are saying BMW told them that the car can’t receive text messages because I don’t have enhanced blue-tooth. Well, enhanced or not, it did work for a week. The Genius even told them that the phone was working in the car when he programmed everything with me the night we bought it.

Another weird thing (because I wonder if they are related), the car will randomly remember whether my radio was on preset or Satellite. Once when I get in it will be on one of my preset channels and will page through the presets the next time I get in the car, it will be on satellite and will page through all the satellite channels.

Any insight?

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Are you switching keys? That would explain the radio memory thing. There are radio-setting-memory options for the keys. If you turn it on for a key, then for that key, it remembers what the radio setup was last time you were driving (this actually goes so far as actual presets, so the hubby could have all bro-country radio stations and wifey could have all NPR and soft-adult-rock stations...). It is key specific so Key A, could have 'remember radio' turned on while Key B could have it off. Same goes for HVAC settings (wifey HOT hubby COLD). It sounds cute but we always turn it off on our cars because we dont really do too much car-sharing, and I like to rotate the keys to keep the battery wear and charging evened out so using the other key with her seat setting and radio settings and temp settings would be super annoying for me.

I dont know for sure, but I would be pretty confident that the "enhanced bluetooth" thing is a software feature. In other words all the cars can do it, its just a matter of paying BMW and then they "install it" by allowing you to have it. There's a ton more features like that on these cars now - costs them nothing to put in electronics that can support all the features and then if somebody wants the 'upgrade' theres no wrenching, they just charge you an appalling fee for the dealer to plug a cable in and click "Enable" (its a little more complicated than that cuz they have these special enable codes to keep people from hacking all the features for free but you get the idea).

Also, I'm told on these new cars that they can update the cars software & settings remotely over the data connection (the way your cell phone does) - so its possible that your car was config'd with enhanced bluetooth turned on by mistake (or the genius hooked you up or something) and then the car did an over-the-air update, reset itself to what the vehicle order says it is supposed to be, and then blew that feature away.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    BMW X2
    I think you are dead on with the idea that it was turned off after I left with the car.

The service consultant just called me saying that my car does not have enhanced blue tooth and there's nothing they can do. I told him that when I drove the car off the lot it was receiving text messages and I expect that it will continue to do so, they can just do whatever is necessary to fix it. He told me that the service manager would call me and basically hung up on me.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the radio, I'm the only one who drives the car. My husband walks past it as he comes in the garage so that might explain when it happens in the house, but not when I'm at work.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Wow what a jerk! Wife-welcome, we almost exclusively get the husbands around here! But nonetheless you don’t alternate keys at all? You always use the exact same one?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    BMW X2
    Yes, only my key. He has a silly ole' pick up truck (that has more bells and whistles than any car ever had. LOL!)

He walks by the car with the key in his pocket but he doesn't drive it.

My Cars
    2018 X2 (F39)
    I got my X2 in March 2018 and no issues. It has CarPlay.

Not sure if it could be a software issue. Do you have iOS 12.2? Or another phone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk