Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jack pad adapter, again

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster

jack pad adapter, again

Sorry, don't mean to be beating a dead horse here, but did a search on jack pad adapter for the Z3. Yeah, there was talk about other models, and only one mention of a Z3 and that was with the factory jack. Looked on evil bay, & Amazon, which showed adapters for other models there was some for the Z4. Even Bavarian showed an adapter saying it would fit the Z3, but doesn't. Side note: you don't know who to trust anymore. Does an adapter out there fit our roadsters, or is it just BS?? I don't want to ruin my jack pads. TIA

My Cars
    1999 M Roadster
    I have a jack pad adapter that I purchased through Amazon, I think, but it's not z3 specific. Its got Burger Tuning on it, works fine for me. I think if the description states it'll work with BMW, you should be fine, Amazon is pretty good about returning if something doesnt work.

Good luck!!

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Reliable returns on Amazon? Definitely.

Description reliability? No way.

Anybody selling anything can claim compatibility whether it’s anywhere close or not and Amazon will list it. They used to be very good, but there have been more and more Chinese listings. Amazon has become another ebay without the bidding. Jack pads are a perfect example. I bought a set of jack stands and pads for my Z3 and ended up sending them back. There was zero fitup compatibility even though the ad stated they were for my car. Compatible would be something that matches up perfectly with the jack points on the car. Good luck finding that. The closest are the stands with the round rubber pad on top.

They still have a great return policy, so use that to your advantage. If an order isn’t what you wanted, send it back. Don’t keep anything that doesn’t work as anticipated.

Note, if it shipped from China and you don’t like it, return shipping cost can prohibit returning it.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 01-08-2019 at 12:27 AM.

My Cars
    02 LSB Z3M Coupe
    The TMB Motorsports ones worked great for me.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M8HTXU7/

My Cars
    2000 Z3
    I was going to make some out of Delrin, but seeing how cheap those are I think my efforts are better focused making money with that time and simply buying that set with some of said money.

Stubbornness is a virtue....

My Cars
    99 Z3MC/00' 2.8 roady
    Jack pads should fit almost all bmw and mini. I have an aluminum one and fits the Z, 335i and our Mini cooper s

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I use a hockey puck under the front cross member and diff cover. It's the best $2 adapter I've used so far.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    I use a hockey puck under the front cross member and diff cover. It's the best $2 adapter I've used so far.
    I have used a hockey puck on the jack location for years and I even have a jack pad adapter which was given to me, but I never use it because the hockey puck works so much better.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    z3
    Jack pad adapters are not strictly required. As long as you are careful you would be totally fine without them

With that being said there is also nothing special about the Z3 jack pads. Pretty much any BMW style jack pad - a round puck with a raised rectangle - will work fine

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Well, that's Yankee ingenuity for you........all my research, and all it takes is a hockey puck.....who woulda thunk. If you build it, they'll buy it.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Yep, just saw the CupFone by Weathertech, which is a phone holder that fits in your cup holder. $34.95.

If I had one in my Z, I'd have to hold the phone and the CupFone so my coffee had a place to sit.

https://www.weathertech.com/cupfone/...SAAEgJ9S_D_BwE
    Last edited by s8ilver; 01-08-2019 at 07:38 PM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3 freak View Post
    ... did a search on jack pad adapter for the Z3... Does an adapter out there fit our roadsters... I don't want to ruin my jack pads. TIA
    So a jack pad adapter is something placed between a jack stand and the Z3 jacking pad. Why? How can a jack stand ruin a Z3's hard black plastic jack pad that is made for this purpose?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2002 Z3 3.0L roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    So a jack pad adapter is something placed between a jack stand and the Z3 jacking pad. Why? How can a jack stand ruin a Z3's hard black plastic jack pad that is made for this purpose?
    I have seen pics on Pelican and videos on YouTube that have shown jack pads destroyed or missing. Don't know how or why, maybe like the rear substructure matter??

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Incompatible design. The jack point on the z3 has a specific shape. Stands that have a deep V shaped top are designed for round steel undercarriage areas like axles. The shapes of those jack stands and the BMW jack points don’t match. Descriptions of missings jack point pads are very possibly caused by the wrong stands or jacks being used.

A previous link is a good example of a perfect match:
    http://www.jackpointjackstands.com/

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Perfection is good but expensive.
    There is no need to get expensive "compatible" Burger adapters that go up into the recess of the Z3 jack pads. The pad bears on the frame under the sheet metal, and a jack stand is fine as long as it pushes on the middle of the pad and does not touch the painted sheet metal rocker panel.
    Auto shops have raised Z3s for decades by putting their four lift arms under the jack pads.

The Z3 jack pads snapped in until 8/97 and could get lost.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/51718398169/
    After 8/97 they screwed in.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/51718407559/
    Last edited by Vintage42; 01-09-2019 at 04:34 PM.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Good point. I wouldn’t spend the money on my link either. Maybe if I was a limited model service facility. Just pointing out one option for a perfect matchup.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Personally, my first choice is made by BendPak...

(too much? )

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Note that the jack in the Z3 toolkit is some kind of inclined screw with a rectangular probe of a tip that is made to fit into a Z3 jack pad. This is bad as it cannot lift a Z3 that has lost its snap-in jack pads. And it is useless for lifting any car but a Z3. I have not had to use it.
    I went to an import salvage yard and bought 4 scissors jacks out of old Honda Civics. They lift straight up, have a flat top, and only cost $10 each.
    If you want to rotate tires on one side of a car, it's convenient to use 2 of these jacks to raise that side. I have used them for that on my Scion and Forester. Z3s don't usually rotate tires.
    The little jacks are also useful for soft jacking with fingers, as in aligning bolts when changing shocks.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Personally, my first choice is made by BendPak...

(too much? )
    There you go making us all jealous again ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Note that the jack in the Z3 toolkit is some kind of inclined screw with a rectangular probe of a tip that is made to fit into a Z3 jack pad. This is bad as it cannot lift a Z3 that has lost its snap-in jack pads. And it is useless for lifting any car but a Z3. I have not had to use it.
    I went to an import salvage yard and bought 4 scissors jacks out of old Honda Civics. They lift straight up, have a flat top, and only cost $10 each.
    If you want to rotate tires on one side of a car, it's convenient to use 2 of these jacks to raise that side. I have used them for that on my Scion and Forester. Z3s don't usually rotate tires.
    The little jacks are also useful for soft jacking with fingers, as in aligning bolts when changing shocks.
    Smart. How do you feel about stability having the car up on all four stands long term?

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    I produced and hard anodized my own jack pad adapters for my M Coupe
    IMG_2954.jpg
    @Tripfcr
    1998 M Coupe
    : (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355x32mm Front & Mono4 332x32mm Rear Full Floating BBK

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Very nice sir.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    All the other mods to cemalakcal's Z3 are are also surprising. The ultimate coupe is in Turkey.

My Cars
    '11 335is vert, '01 Z3M
    Hey Randy, why are the tail lights on while up on the rack?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by sjdennis View Post
    Hey Randy, why are the tail lights on while up on the rack?
    There arent any light bulbs on that part of the light, reflector is shining because flash was on

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    All the other mods to cemalakcal's Z3 are are also surprising. The ultimate coupe is in Turkey.
    Thanks
    @Tripfcr
    1998 M Coupe
    : (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355x32mm Front & Mono4 332x32mm Rear Full Floating BBK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast