Thread: Door lock doesn't want to lock with key

My Cars
    1995 525i/5

Door lock doesn't want to lock with key

Hey all,

I've been exploring my newly-acquired E36 M3 sedan, and I've noticed a peculiar problem with it. I can unlock the doors with no problem using the key, both on the driver's side and passenger's side. However, when it comes to locking the door, it takes forever to get it to lock. Initially it just feels like the key doesn't want to turn in the other direction, and after about a minute of jiggling and messing with it, it finally allows me to turn the key and lock the doors. It behaves the same way on both sides. Do the locks need to be lubricated or something? The car did come from Wisconsin (I drove it back to Phoenix a few days ago).

Thanks!
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Hey all,

I've been exploring my newly-acquired E36 M3 sedan, and I've noticed a peculiar problem with it. I can unlock the doors with no problem using the key, both on the driver's side and passenger's side. However, when it comes to locking the door, it takes forever to get it to lock. Initially it just feels like the key doesn't want to turn in the other direction, and after about a minute of jiggling and messing with it, it finally allows me to turn the key and lock the doors. It behaves the same way on both sides. Do the locks need to be lubricated or something? The car did come from Wisconsin (I drove it back to Phoenix a few days ago).

Thanks!
    It's possible it might need some lube. I usually use some graphite or some other kind of dry grease in my key lock every year or so. Really seems to help keep things like a loose. Well worth the effort. I would avoid using a grease, it will only pick up dirt and grime over time. Make things far worse.

Also make sure the key isn't worn down, it's possible the key may have too much use and isn't quite lining up the pins/wafers/discs.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    It's possible it might need some lube. I usually use some graphite or some other kind of dry grease in my key lock every year or so. Really seems to help keep things like a loose. Well worth the effort. I would avoid using a grease, it will only pick up dirt and grime over time. Make things far worse.

Also make sure the key isn't worn down, it's possible the key may have too much use and isn't quite lining up the pins/wafers/discs.
    The previous owner definitely tried spraying some WD-40 in there, that's what the oily stain running down the door seems to indicate. I'll try cleaning it out and then will use some graphite grease in there, thanks for the tip!

It very well could be a worn key too, I should be getting another set of keys in the mail this week so I'll see if it's any different with another key.

My Cars
    99 M3
    I vote new key.

How are you getting new keys by mail? There is a passive ‘chip’ with a code the EWS needs to recognize, and there are a total of ten codes per EWS control unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I vote new key.

How are you getting new keys by mail? There is a passive ‘chip’ with a code the EWS needs to recognize, and there are a total of ten codes per EWS control unit.
    I probably should have clarified in the previous post, haha. When I picked up the car in Wisconsin, the seller had misplaced the main keys + remote so I had to use the extra key that he had in order to drive the M3 back home. He has since located the key + remote and has mailed them to me so I should be getting them later this week.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by bluptgm3 View Post
    I vote new key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Could also have the key made, then transfer the chip over.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Just to conclude this thread, it turns out my key was just really worn. I got the other key in the mail and the door locks work perfectly on both sides. I also got a remote fob so now I can lock and unlock the doors like it’s the 21st century!

My Cars
    are slow.
    Just to conclude this thread, it turns out my key was just really worn. I got the other key in the mail and the door locks work perfectly on both sides. I also got a remote fob so now I can lock and unlock the doors like it’s the 21st century!
    Glad to hear.
    -Dr. Seuss

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    like it’s the 21st century!
    That's until the battery tray cracks itself off the board at the solder joint