Thread: Prices paid for 328i or 325i

My Cars
    1994 325is

Prices paid for 328i or 325i

So I'm in the market to buy an e36 325is or 328is coupe. I want a manual but, at least near me, there seems to not be too many options. Frankly the only one I've manage to find is this one: https://www.kbb.com/cars-for-sale/49...tab=keydetails

But $5k for a 94 325is with nearly 200k on the clock seems really high to me. Anyone got any leads or advise on how much I should spend? Thanks in advance!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1994 325is
    See I saw those, and while I do want an m3 the only ones even close to being in budget are a little too rough for me. I have no experience working on BMWs, even though I have been a big BMW fan for years I've never owned one. Diving head first into a nightmare m3 or something like a manual swap would be a bit overwhelming for me.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Last one is the only one that looks promising, But im also a butt hurt Morea Green cars. A manual swap will cost you maybe $1,500 in parts and ECU tune, and maybe a week on your back at a leisurely pace. Plenty of info here on the boards to get that done, ask me how I know

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    Find a cheap one, get comfortable with the maintenece and driving, then if you decide you really like it, build it or buy a better one. Im on number 12 I think. Ive only come across maybe 3 that wher worth keeping. And I have 2 of them. Lol.
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderg0d View Post
    Find a cheap one, get comfortable with the maintenece and driving, then if you decide you really like it, build it or buy a better one. Im on number 12 I think. Ive only come across maybe 3 that wher worth keeping. And I have 2 of them. Lol.
    This makes a whole lot of sense. Until you are more familiar with these cars, it is hard to assess to tell the big, small, and no problem issues apart while shopping. A lot of people will tell you to get a pre-purchase inspection of the car by a 3rd party which is a pretty good idea for someone who would never be doing their own work on their cars and needs to be aware of all potential costs, but unless the car is a rare pampered unicorn of perfection, it is probably due for significant maintenance due to the car's age. Expecting a $4-5k 20 year old car to provide comparable reliability to your average car is a bit optimistic (the OP didn't ask for this, but it is common) and even if you are ready to spend $7-$10k it isn't going to guarantee perfection. I would expect most pre-purchase survey's to yield about $3-4k in recommended service assuming you are paying for someone else's labor; For instance: every piece of rubber and damping component in the suspension is probably due for replacement, vacuum and cooling lines are due for replacement, there is probably at least one oil leak that could be kept up with but a shop isn't going to encourage you to ignore it, throw in an axle, rear wheel bearing or clutch job estimate and your head will spin. The parts are all readily available and the jobs aren't too bad taken one at a time, but anyone planning to hire the work out is in for disappointment. Spending ~$2.5k on a car and going into it expecting to spend on some maintenance is probably a safer route.

If you have had one of these cars for a bit and taken on some of the common jobs, you will have a much better idea of the level of effort and cost associated with things. Just like changing brakes on a car for the first time, the second side is much easier and takes 1/3 of the time as the first, picking up a car that needs work (like a clutch) you already know how to accomplish puts you in a great position to find a deal, reduces unknowns and you can be picky about avoiding things you really don't want to tackle.

My Cars
    1996 328I
    I drove 5-6 hours to Dallas for a 1996 328i for $1500. 207k miles, cheap coilovers, welded diff, and a hydro ebrake. Then drove it 5-6 hours back home with no problems. The only ones i could find near me where 3k and up AND in worse condition.

My Cars
    1994 325is
    Thanks for the responses guys! I'm going to widen my search radius. The hunt will continue

My Cars
    1997 328i
    This looks like a car to have some fun with, lot of miles but doesn't appear to need much. In neighboring TN, extra cheap.
    https://littlerock.craigslist.org/ct...781480165.html

This one has a rebuilt title, its an M3 asking $5800 that you could easily get for $5k, new re-spray:
    https://littlerock.craigslist.org/ct...772301970.html

- - - Updated - - -

It would be wise to learn how to do a compression test before hand and checking an engine before buying.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    98 528i
    First post. Looking at a 97' 328i. Texas car,no rust. Huge list of service records/replacement parts. Won't take any less than $3300. Really not a bad deal,but the car is an automatic. REALLY want a 5spd,just afraid if I settled for the auto id regret it. You think the price is inline?
    i

My Cars
    1994 325is
    If you want a manual then get a manual. It's your money so don't just settle on something that seems like a good deal. Find what you want sand if it's a good deal, then hop on that one.