Thread: What is my car worth? Manual conversion makes sense?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp

What is my car worth? Manual conversion makes sense?

Hope to get some input.

Story behind is that I wanted this E34 to be my daughters first car. Now I'm hesitating for 2 reasons: Too much work done to it and it's not as safe as newer car I can get her. Any accident will total this car which I really don't want.

Right now as it sits:
    102k, silver on silver, auto. Original paint, glass, all stock.
    CA car, no rust. ALL suspension rebuilt. Shocks, arms, bushings on back. Brake lines, brake calipers rebuilt. When you look underneath - it's new.
    Interior all recovered with ultrasuede, door cards restored, seats restored, will get sport seats soon.
    Tons of little things like door handle rubber, rebuilt windshield washer wipers, cleaned/restored pump/sprayers, etc.
    No engine leaks, recent service - new valve COVER, plugs/boots and gaskets.

Car is 100% working and I driver it 50/50 with my M3. Only negative - some paint issues on hood (CA sun) and small dent on right side. And automatic

I think I spent at least 4-5k in parts on top of paying for clean low mile no rust/accidents car. I "think" - because I decided not to count anymore..

If I was to do more to the car - I would probably replace cooling/vacuum and do paint job. And manual conversion.

I got full swap kit to do manual sitting, just waiting for my daughter to learn how to drive.

So, why would I sell it? I feel like I want something special. And I'm done "restoring" it or almost done and feel like I can do that to "fancier" car And that car would be E34 M5.

The question is how much I can get for mine and if it makes sense to do swap before sell or keep it original and sell swap kit separately.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    It sounds like a really nice car, especially in the Midwest. Can you replace it with something in equal condition and a similar driving experience for the amount it is likely to sell for? I think not.
    Do the swap to make it what you want. Give the daughter a few lessons and toss her the keys, she'll figure it out.
    EDIT: I see paint job is on the list. In for a penny in for a pound. Sounds like you already are.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-07-2019 at 04:13 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    It sounds like a really nice car, especially in the Midwest. Can you replace it with something in equal condition and a similar driving experience for the amount it is likely to sell for? I think not.
    Absolutely not.

Do the swap to make it what you want. Give the daughter a few lessons and toss her the keys, she'll figure it out.
    EDIT: I see paint job is on the list. In for a penny in for a pound. Sounds like you already are.
    Swap will not make it what I want. It won't be M5 And I don't want to give car to daughter for reasons above..

Paint is one of those items - YES, it will be expensive. But I'd rather do it to the best car. So, I'm like not sure what to do now until it's too late (too much) and I get stuck with it.

Answer would be to keep it but I can't add a car and keep this one.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    In that case it isn't worth much but I'd be willing to take it off your hands. You know, to help a guy out.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    In that case it isn't worth much but I'd be willing to take it off your hands. You know, to help a guy out.
    Yes, sure So, how is swaps generally looked at? Pro/Con? Will stock auto be more desirable? Will swap bring more money at sale?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by katit2 View Post
    Yes, sure So, how is swaps generally looked at? Pro/Con? Will stock auto be more desirable? Will swap bring more money at sale?
    The manual will make it more desirable to most enthusiasts, they rest of the world doesn't want these old heaps anyway.
    More $? Probably not enough to make it worth the effort but yeah I think a bit more and certainly would be an easier sell. Do you have EVERYTHING, including new wear parts and "might as wells"? If not add a few bones on top of the typical as pulled "swap kit".
    A swapped car doesn't carry any stigma if that's what you are worried about. No need for factory originality, matching numbers and correct paint dabs on the chassis for these cars
    Last edited by ross1; 01-07-2019 at 04:53 PM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    The manual will make it more desirable to most enthusiasts, they rest of the world doesn't want these old heaps anyway.
    More $? Probably not enough to make it worth the effort but yeah I think a bit more and certainly would be an easier sell. Do you have EVERYTHING, including new wear parts and "might as wells"? If not add a few bones on top of the typical as pulled "swap kit".
    Remember we were PMng about parts car? I got all parts/bolts/hoses, etc from a donor myself. So, it's not unknown kit I got somewhere. I got everything marked, cleaned, etc.
    Bunch of new parts needed of course like clutch, seals, bolts. But I got it all ready to go. Plus I've see how it came out so it won't be a question to do a swap.

A swapped car doesn't carry any stigma if that's what you are worried about. No need for factory originality, matching numbers and correct paint dabs on the chassis for these cars
    Yes, thats what I was wondering about. I'm sure after the swap this car will be very nice stock 525 with 5sp

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I don't remember what I had for breakfast.
    "after the swap this car will be very nice stock 525 with 5sp" There's your answer, keep it.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    it's not as safe as newer car I can get her.
    Safety is primarily down to the driver, not the car. Of course there are other drivers to consider, but even against a Yukon XL doing 60mph an E34 does ok. Yeah, it was totalled, but the E34's driver walked away with a scratch, while the Yukon's left in a stretcher, and from the sounds of it, nearly in a body bag. That particular E34 didn't have a single airbag.

Your car sounds like it's in excellent shape, especially for the Midwest. I don't think anyone cares about authenticity/originality to the point of faulting a 525i for having been manual-swapped. If anything, a manual swap would increase its value. I would guess the increase is comparable to the parts cost.

+1 to "swap it and keep it".
    Last edited by moroza; 01-07-2019 at 08:38 PM.

My Cars
    2003.5 E46 M3, 1992 e34
    Like Ross said these cars are 100% more desirable in manual trans. Swapped or original. Id say half these cars at this point in time are a mix of 10 different e34s lol! I have a swapped 525i. Id buy it 10x again before buying an original automatic.

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Hope to get some input.

Interior all recovered with ultrasuede, door cards restored, seats restored, will get sport seats soon.
    How did you restore the door cards?

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by Old525i View Post
    How did you restore the door cards?
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ng-door-panels

My Cars
    various
    Hmmm. While the general consensus here is to swap and keep, your decision should be based on your long term goals. If a clean M5 is what you want doing anything more to it before selling it may not be worth the effort.

I'd be tempted to cut my losses, sell it as is, sell the swap parts separately and find the car you truly desire. My kids all drove cheap ($2k) toyotas as first vehicles. They inevitably trashed them as new drivers but still sold for $1k when all was said and done. I was never worried about damage and they are as safe as any vehicle. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by zubbie; 01-08-2019 at 08:56 AM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    Quote Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
    Hmmm. While the general consensus here is to swap and keep, your decision should be based on your long term goals. If a clean M5 is what you want doing anything more to it before selling it may not be worth the effort.
    Main problem - I don't know what my long term goals is - it would be just another toy. And pretty expensive one.

I'm kind of leaning towards doing a swap, that would keep me busy (wrenching is part of hobby/fun to me) and it may keep me happy with this 525 another year + which is a lot of time.
    And maybe I will give it to my kid. Yes, there is a lot of labor(free/hobby) in it but OTOH it's not _that_ expensive. If we will be buying her a car - it will be 5-6k easily + other stuff that "have to be fixed" on a "new" car like tires/etc.

So maybe I do need to give it to her and see how it goes. We (me and wife) kind of think that manual is what she should have as it keeps you busy driving and not doing other things. She really wants this car as for some reasons her friends all think it's very cool car. And if she drives it - I don't need to worry about paint.

AND... If she does drive this car - I can always get M5 for myself ))
    Last edited by katit2; 01-08-2019 at 10:54 AM. Reason: m

My Cars
    09/90 E34 525i (M50)
    Swaps don't add much extra money to it's value (no where near enough compared to the cost), people just do it for their own enjoyment, or to make it sellable for decent money at all!
    No matter how much you put into an e34, if its a 525 auto it's never going to be worth more than $4k. I'm keeping mine auto until I get more power and spend money on interior, but the case for manual conversion makes more sense in the USA with the autotragic 4spd, at least I have a ZF 5spd.

You've spent a lot of time on your 525, so I think it's worth doing a conversion if you already have the parts and to get rid of the 4spd. If you don't send me a quote on shipping the parts over (m50 manuals never came to Australia, everyone opted for the 5spd auto since the car cost $80k). Only m20 and m30 e34s that didn't have a 5spd auto fitted got the option of 5spd manuals)
    Last edited by fo3; 01-09-2019 at 11:11 AM.

My Cars
    2017 M3 6sp
    I think I will do conversion just for fun and see. I think it will buy this car some time if I get another urge for a new toy