Thread: Whining Noise In Engine Bay

My Cars
    \

Whining Noise In Engine Bay

Long time lurker, first ever post.

Howdy y'all. So I got me a problem...
    My car has started to make a whining noise in the engine bay above idle revs. There are no leaks that I could see, no squeaking from the belt or from the power steering as turned the wheel from lock to lock, and everything else seems to be sound. The clutch fan has no slop and there is no whine at idle.

The only thing I can think of is the belt tensioner inside the head, but I have no idea if it is that or something else. It has to be directly connected to the engine since its volume and pitch correspond to the revs the engine is at.

Any ideas or anyone experienced in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Pls add the engine, model and built year to your profile. Easier for us to help you. Does the car have automatic transmission? If so, check the trans fluid lvel, vecause when the fluid level is too low, the internal ATF suction pump can suck air with the ATF and that causes a whining sound.
    Last edited by shogun; 01-07-2019 at 06:04 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    \
    Sorry, have not been able to update due to just life emergencies and this past Labor Day.

I have an E36 M3 '98 sedan, manual. This is the second year of ownership, being the third owner.

I have located the whine down to the right side of the engine bay when facing the front of the car, so in front of the driver's seat. I still have no idea what it is, but on a full tank of gas, the whine is subdued. The whine is not apparent really until 2.5k to 3.5k RPMs, below or above it is very underlying, not noticeable unless you are really listening for it. It has a pitch similar to the electrical whirring on cold start, which I believe to be the secondary air pump. Correct me if I am wrong, I am very lacking in knowledge about my car.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have an idea that it may be a vacuum line leak, but I do not know how to test for it nor the tools to go about it.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    There's no belt tensioner in the head, you have a timing chain. The best way to test for vacuum leaks is a smoke test, smoke testers can be built at home, check You Tube. You need to do some research on DIYs if you plan on owning a high maintenance car without going broke.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    here you have the parts diagrams, just type in the VIN and then you can select the items you want to check http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
    check the fuel tank breather valve and the hoses, could be brittle http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...6-BMW-M3&mg=13
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    \
    Ok, got it. I will be checking those things in the coming weekend hopefully. I'll update when I finish testing and inspecting.