Thread: Hard top rain guides keep on ungluing... need recommendation

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster

Hard top rain guides keep on ungluing... need recommendation

Hello all visiting this thread...
    After I repainted my hardtop and shop reglued those two black plastic strips on top of the hardtop, they never seem to fully stick. Corners come up no netter what double sided tape I try. I don’t want to cement them on, in case I need to remove them again. But is there anything out there I can use that is sticky enough to hold it in place? I got some thin 3m double sided tape of different variety and heated up the are and strips themself to make them more flexible and sticky (it’s cold here in NE). But shot just refuses to stay in place even if I put a tape over it for a day. It looks fine for few hours and then start to come up again. Any recommendations for better product that is better suited for this?
    Thank you.

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    I also used automotive grade 3M tape 0.5" tape, but I used 4 clamps to really press down on it for 24 hours. Not sure how cold it is in your area right now, but you might want to wait until it gets warmer to do this.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    I also used automotive grade 3M tape 0.5" tape, but I used 4 clamps to really press down on it for 24 hours. Not sure how cold it is in your area right now, but you might want to wait until it gets warmer to do this.
    Yea, it gets to 30-40 in my neck of the woods. However, I used hair dryer to heat up the metal and rubber , as well as the tape itself to make sure it’s tacky. I did not use the clamps and just painters tape.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    3M VHB tape .045" thick!!! 1/2" wide, but you have to get the right thickness, or the strips don't sit right (and maybe gaps underneath?).

Definitely clean both surfaces thoroughly, to remove all traces of dirt and skin oils.

I strongly recommend using the 3M Adhesion Promoter wipes too.

My hdtp was painted 12-13 yrs ago, and spent another 1/2-dozen years as a daily-driver through near & sub zero Toledo winters.

Do it once, when you do it right

If you're working in a garage that 60* or better, or you can get out in direct sunshine for a couple hours (and it's above 60*...) you don't need to heat anything, and with just initial pressure, it's stuck. You can tape it down if it makes you feel good.
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 01-06-2019 at 10:28 PM.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    3M VHB tape .045" thick!!! 1/2" wide, but you have to get the right thickness, or the strips don't sit right (and maybe gaps underneath?).

Definitely clean both surfaces thoroughly, to remove all traces of dirt and skin oils.

I strongly recommend using the 3M Adhesion Promoter wipes too.

My hdtp was painted 12-13 yrs ago, and spent another 1/2-dozen years as a daily-driver through near & sub zero Toledo winters.

Do it once, when you do it right

If you're working in a garage that 60* or better, or you can get out in direct sunshine for a couple hours (and it's above 60*...) you don't need to heat anything, and with just initial pressure, it's stuck. You can tape it down if it makes you feel good.
    Excellent! Exactly what I am looking for. I guess I will have to wait till it gets warmer. Garage is not insulated and temp outside under 40 and will only get cooler. I will save this to my todo.

Thank you Randy!
    Damn thing was so annoying, I was going to just rip them out and leave it without. You think I can use googone to remove old tape used by shop?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Sounds unorthodox, but I have really good luck using WD40 for removing adhesive/residue. Use a plastic scraper to get off the heavy layers, then either "roll it off" with your thumbs or use solvents.

Just be sure to get it really clean afterwards.

My Cars
    00 M Roadster 17 Cayman
    I recommend cleaning the residue off and then try "leaving the inserts off". I actually think the top looks better without them (and I don't think it harms their function-whatever it may be). I didn't replace them on my previous Z3 after having the top painted. Not a very good picture but it is the only one I have left on my computer file:

IMG_0072.JPG

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Thank you all for feedback.