Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Supercharged Coyote E46 Build Thread

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    I haven't been posting lately, but I made some improvements to the car.

Added the Drifttec Trailing arm brackets, i now can get toe in (i might have bent something at one point, i had like 7/8" toe OUT, Yikes)

Getting the car ready for MIS in June.
    DSC_5294 (1).jpg_MG_0988.jpg

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    We have a fuel gauge now finally! Used a Tanks Meter match interface to a Amazon fuel gauge. testing it this weekend.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I got a big negarino message I wanna see.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    Added a front sway bar LOVE IT. Have to extend the E36 bar for it to be used to its full advantage to the FDF control arms.

Here's some from Drift Indy's Street League last weekend. resized 1.jpgDISLv4_XMCesari-3717.jpgDISLv4_XMCesari-4623.jpg

Video:https://www.facebook.com/1341219384/...4933378025301/

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Car looks so good man. Can we get more details on the sway bar setup? pix?

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    Current setup is the E36 Non M front bar w/ bimmerworld endlinks. the bracket is a square tube i cut the top off of, drilled some holes and voila you have a sway bar mount in 30 min before an event hahaha. as you can see this is not ideal as the link isnt perpendicular so i will be extending the sway bar mounting "flat" to reach straight above the endlink. I have the FDF angle kit with 18x9.5 wheels and some spacer adapters to clear/match up with the Big Duck Club overfenders and to mate the 5x114 to 5x120 hubs.. I hope to have this extended for this weekend's event Team Vibes at Lake Erie, and i will report back and maybe get some gopro footage of the links to see if anything is flexing. Nothing budged during the last event and the car felt way better with more grip and way snappier transitions, a guy on my team mentioned my car seemed faster as well (makes sense if its giving me more rear grip) so maybe once this is perpendicular i can use the bar to its full potential. The other option is a whiteline adjustable bar iv'e seen, but i am on a budget for now haha

IMG_20210610_224048.jpg

I also am working on a DIY coolsuit setup to work with the coolshirt shirts. Its super hot in the car when its 90+ out even with the heat shielding i did this year. If this works as intended (it should) I probably will list these on my website for sale as a DIY kit or a full setup option instead of spending $400 for a coolshirt setup plus shirt. (its like 200 for their box, and 150 for lines then mount etc)

- - - Updated - - -

just noticed the photo is rotated weird... sorry lol

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    How do you plan to extend the sway bar? It def seems like the simplest solution. I'm currently trying to fab a version where the links are to the struts. But man it's been more money than I wanted to spend.

For the cool suit, I just did a $50 setup minus shirt. I bought a legit coolshirt and some spare female fittings, got some generic 5/16" tubing, walmar cooler, 12v fountain pump on amazon, and some double male ended bolt on barbs. Lemme tell you, it made a huge difference on grid. I'm just shocked at how quickly I went through ice. 3 bags and I still didn't have enough. Granted, it was a comp so I was on grid more than regular events.

cool suits are 100% worth it.

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    The best option i can think of is finding a square tube to slide over the flat portion of the sway bar and weld it all around, or to just get a flat plate and weld it to the flat portion. Its going to be extended only like 2 inches probably. I'd just match the thickness up with the flat portion of the bar and it should be fine.

A more complex way would be to cut the flat off, weld on a new tube, then weld the flat back on to extend it, but that seems like extra work for me. i'll eventually buy a whiteline/adjustable bar which is longer anyways, but this is a good interim solution i think.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I think my worry is weakening the metal by welding on it. But you're also stiffening the bar by making it "longer". I pondered just getting a blade style sway bar.

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    yeah those are sweet but like $300 just for the blade when i've looked. I'll just get a $200 whiteline bar once I have some time off from driving. Next event is this weekend at Team Vibes at the freshly paved Lake Erie speedway.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I got buddies going up. If you see people from the DC area, say hi! Hopefully it's a good time. And yea, I agree about the cost of the blade. I'm not even sure it would fit. I'm too busy not working on my drift car

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    Update! sorry guys, I have been pretty busy with work/drift car things lately.

Sway Bar:
    Sway bar bracket is still working great and I haven't' made any changes, I was having issues with the bar sliding Left/Right and I didnt get a chance to order those sway bar limiters yet and upgraded bushings, but that will be the next improvement. For now some thick A** zip ties are keeping the rubber bushing in place lol

Rear Trailing Arm Bushings:
    I ordered a set of TOYOTA CAMRY, yes you read that right, toyota camry SPHERICAL bushings that press right into the Rear Trailing arms just like the stock rubber ones... these are $20 on rock auto PN:K200786, they are slightly narrower than the stock bushing and their bolt is actually a size up so you have to source new hardware and drill out your RTAB bracket a bit to get clearance for the new bolt, no biggie. These things have been great without any issues. Also a plus is since they are narrower, you can offset them to either side to get Toe In/Out. These paired with the Drittec brackets, i can get up to 7/8" toe IN! the car is lowered, and that is usually a big issue getting toe in for rear grip. It currently is setup at about 1/4" and it made a world of a difference. I had about 1/4" toe OUT previously and this is what my car was missing. I can keep up to my buddies finally.

Gridlife/Final Bout/Thrash Bash:
    Gridlife was pretty sick, I went with my teammate and running that track is awesome. I also got a run in with Justin Pawlak which was pretty sweet. Final bout and thrash bash were a blast as well.
    https://photos.app.*******/46cD7E7YfZgofQNc8

Final Bout: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-CNAC-PuSY

Thrash Bash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFdbLwNOVWA&t=17s

Next events, I signed up for my first "COMP" the Riverside Drift 10k in october in about a week or so. and then I have drift indy's Street League competition in november.

Broken axle count: 6 for the season so far , i'm most likely going to be doing something about that this winter, throwing about the idea of modifying my subframe for the 8.8. I really wanted to try and throw a S550 Mustang "Super 8.8" in the car, but I think its just too large. The normal 8.8 is pretty compact for its hp capacity.

IMG_20210909_200629.jpgFB_IMG_1632868369994.jpg

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Yea I'm gonna have to move to that style sway bar setup. Even Justin did it.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    That's an awesome find on those spherical bearings! Think they might also fit in an E36 trailing arm?

BTW, I kind of retired last week from some of the other work I've been doing for the past couple of years in hopes that I might get some more garage time. Are there any more events going on around here yet this fall?

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    I would imagine they'd fit E36 as well since all the aftermarket bushings i've seen are E46/36 compatible.

my last 2 events for the season are the Riverside Drift 10K Competition in Indiana OCT 15-16 and then Drift Indy Street League competition in early November.

- - - Updated - - -

I also have been testing some rack limiters that are solid and will not break when constantly hitting max angle... have to use these otherwise the wheel hits the frame.. the current slr ones I was using are sweet that they snap right over the rack, but after an event they are trashed... I have about 4 other guys testing these out and if all seems well as expected i'll be posting them up for sale. Downside vs slr is you have to disconnect the inner tie rod to install/remove these but thats not that big of a deal for me to not break them.
    also not sure why all my images are coming in sideways.

IMG_20210924_151402.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Thanks Chad! Those rack limiters are interesting. I wouldn't mind trying a set next year if I stick to my guns and don't get sucked back into working all the time. Lol

No more MiDrift or EPAuto events left this year?

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    i think there are some EPauto events left and maybe one more Midrift but im not sure.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ok, thanks! I'll look harder. My little bit of checking so far came up with nuthin!

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    https://youtu.be/npCzWQKpxvs

Thrash bash run with a E36

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    That's awesome!! Is that CJ? If so, do you know if he's still running the turbo kit I built for my red car when it was M52 powered? That setup turned out to run really well.

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    Nah that was Vance he's from Pennsylvania.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i

Cool

8.8 swap underway!
    Non M
    M3
    8.8 (2007 explorer)
    PXL_20220219_205725470.jpg

I am using a M3 subframe (no particular reason besides I found it on marketplace for $50 already pulled), so I made a quick fixture to hold the subframe in position so I can locate where the axle centerlines are as well as the pinion angle on the front of the diff flange.
    PXL_20220219_204826032.jpg

Then once that was mounted, I removed and started cutting for the 8.8.. I had to pretty much remove the entire front "basket" area of the diff for it to fit. I made additional supports to locate the 8.8 to the subframe/fixture. You can see the rear mounts are bolted to the cover to locate it, which gives me plenty of room to make the bracket to hold the diff to the subframe.
    PXL_20220220_180150669.jpg

Then, onto the front of the diff, using a block of wood and some shims, I got it exactly the same angle as the factory diff. To mount, I am making two mounting ears with some gussets.. this is extremely beefy but oh well. Also dont make fun of my welds!!! hahah.
    PXL_20220220_180022287.jpg

Have to make the other side and clean/add some welds to finish up this and then i'll send it off to get stripped and powder coated. Should be pretty simple to swap in the car!

Axles: Going with the Seems Legit Garage Axles, there was literally nobody else that makes these and they have a quality product that's been proven.
    Trailing arms: 330I arms are needed, have to source them yet from the junkyard.

I am videoing this process for a youtube video as well. so I'll post that on there as well once its complete for those interested in what's involved with modifying the subframe.

My Cars
    '97 M3/4/5.0
    What are you doing for bushings? I'm putting an 8.8 in my RX-8 and no one makes front bushings for it. What ratio and carrier are you going with?

My Cars
    2002 E46 325i
    Seems Legit Garage makes solid bushings for the front. then the rear you just solid mount.
    https://www.seemslegitgarage.com/pro...-diff-bushings

OR you could i guess turn your own delrin ones or poly or something of that sort.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast