Thread: Question for those who have replaced steering lock/key tumbler housing

My Cars
    99' Cosmos ///M3

Question for those who have replaced steering lock/key tumbler housing

My steering lock housing recently broke in my 99' e36 (the rod inside the housing snapped). I'm now replacing the whole housing with a new unit. When I pulled everything apart I didn't mark where the steering column shaft was set to.

What I'm trying to figure out is if these slots in the steering shaft https://i.imgur.com/v2Qj0xb.jpg , https://i.imgur.com/tMuw5qR.jpg need to be positioned a certain way before installing the housing? Perhaps I'm over thinking it, or the steering wheel was way off but I did a test install of the housing, and the steering was locking at a much different position than originally.

On that note - I didn't mark the steering wheel alignment on the splines before pulling the wheel off (the wheel was off-center due to being stuck locked in 2 o clock position, had to drill out the spring on the old housing to free it up).

Any advice on these would be really appreciated. Getting the housing out and in is the easy part but I wanted to make sure I re-assemble everything correctly. TIA.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Kala,

Call me, I have gutted cars and can probably look at one to answer your question. I know what your talking about as I have pulled several assemblies and columns. 410-967-617 ZERO

My Cars
    E36
    Im sorry for your loss.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk