Thread: E30 Control Arm Bushing Bracket Mounting Problem

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3

E30 Control Arm Bushing Bracket Mounting Problem

I am restoring a 1987 325i Convertible (e30). Does anyone know the BMW Part Number for the section of the under carriage where the control arm bushing bracket (Part# 31121139790) attaches with 2 M10x40 bolts on the passenger side of the vehicle. During a rebuild of the front subframe (new subframe, steering rack and struts), I discovered that someone must have modified the mounting point. When I tried to remove the bracket the two bolts simply spin and will not loosen after initially loosing a tad. Ditto for tighting. Tried everything including using an impact gun. My guess is that someone who worked on the car broke off a bolt and jury rigged something that obviously is not conducive to normal replacement. Before I cut off the old bracked it would be good to know if that section of the chassis is still available. I checked RealOem but it is impossible to tell which part is the rail. If the part still exists the plan would be to have it welded in so that future replacement of the control arm bushing simply involve loosening or tightening two screws.

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    41111965073 (left) and 41111965074 (right)? Looks like these are unique for each side on convertibles (coupe ones are NLA) Did the last person in there strip out the threads or something?

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    The part that you are referring to is most likely the main unibody rail, as in frame rail, which is one of the most integral parts of the unibody itself. I am pretty sure it goes from the bumper to the front seat floor pan. Unless the car was hit really bad in the front, that would be the last thing one would tamper with. If it were me, I would drill or cut a small access hole in the floor pan from the top, allowing access to the inside of that channel. Then I would determine if the threads are stripped, or if the captured nut is broken free and spinning around with the bolt. If the captured nut is broke loose, I would weld it to the inside of your frame/unibody rail from inside the access hole from the top. If the threads are stripped, I would cut the bolt head off from underneath, then twist the remaining stud out from inside the access hole, or drill it out if necessary as a last resort. If you are not sure where to cut the access hole, take a 3/16 drill bit and drill a locator hole through the channel and then continue into the floor pan. Or just measure carefully from different points on the floor pan.
    Last edited by msservices; 01-06-2019 at 11:39 AM.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    Thanks for the part numbers. My guess is that the nut in the chassis has broken free. The bolts do not appear to be standard issue, they are 15 mm instead of 17 mm and both spin freely after initially being loosened. Rather than cut the bolts I decided to seek advice so I am appreciative of your kind reply message.

My Cars
    2006 BMW X3
    Thanks for your advice. I am pretty sure that the capture nuts haven broken loose because the bolts simply spins after being initially lossened. I noticed that the bolts are not standard issue, they are 15 mm instead of 17 mm. The problem is on the right passenger side of the vehicle where I have quite a bit of rust in the floor pan itself. I do not have a welder so I will likely need to take the car to a body shop with welding capabilities to address the rusted floor pan and control arm mounting bolts. The rail seems to be rust free (at least from the outside, but who knows). Any suggestions for a source of a floor pan. My assumption is that the body shop would simply weld in a piece of sheet metal to replace the section of the floor pan this is completed rusted out, Thanks fir your advice, I least I have some options thanks to youe

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    Have you removed the carpet or at least looked underneath it to see if someone didn’t simply replace the factory mounting points with regular nuts ?