My Cars
    2013 BMW X5 35i

Clicking noise after maintenance from the area of intake manifold

Hi! I have a 2013 X5 (35i) Car has around 60k miles on it and was diagnosed with a pretty well known leak from the oil cooler.

Decided to use holidays to address this issue and finally put everything together today (and i took me a lot of hours). In the process I changed:
    2 oil cooler gaskets
    belt (didn't touch tensioner)
    spark plugs
    fitting on the coolant hose (that goes into the head and fell apart in my hands). Replaced with aluminum one
    Air and cabin filters

in the process of changing gaskets I had to unscrew intake manifold and move it around a bit to be able to access cooler's bolt. I didn't replace gaskets on it. After I put everything together i can clearly hear clicking noise. it follows RPM, can be heard from the cabin, and disappears after 3k RMP (or engine noise hides it). I feel it is coming from the manifold side of the engine, and wondering whether it can be caused by a bad gasket?

Did anyone have anything like this? If it is a gasket issue - is it safe to drive, or better park and get new one installed ASAP? If not a gasket, what else can it be?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I wonder if the lifers some how bled down or there is air in them from the oil repair that has not bled its self ot yet, pulling the manifold back to acess that one bolt is common

My Cars
    2012 X6 35i
    One thing I'd imagine is a no-no. Pulling the intake and not replacing the gaskets.
    2007 FJ Cruiser (best vehicle to date)
    2012 X6 35i Sport
    2013 ML350 BT
    2019 4Runner

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I wonder if the lifers some how bled down or there is air in them from the oil repair that has not bled its self ot yet, pulling the manifold back to acess that one bolt is common
    Is it possible to do anything about it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peter2772000 View Post
    One thing I'd imagine is a no-no. Pulling the intake and not replacing the gaskets.
    Yep, guilty. I couldn't pull it back far enough to access gaskets without removing more parts. Can it be the reason?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I know plenty of techs that just pull the manifold a bit and don't take it off. If it did create a problem you would think it would cause amcheck engine light to come on, vacuum leak.

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    I know plenty of techs that just pull the manifold a bit and don't take it off. If it did create a problem you would think it would cause amcheck engine light to come on, vacuum leak.
    No engine check. I also connected a diagnosing tool and it didn't show anything weird. It was able to read live data form the pressure sensors in the manifold, but I unfortunately don't have baseline numbers (and could't find them online), but assumed that there are in the range as car wasn't complaining.

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5 35i
    In the interim, decided to replace gaskets. Can't say it is an easy task (still have no clue how to disconnect computer wires), but was able to get out all the gaskets. Interestingly, I noticed that some hose (that goes from the air intake on the left side through the manifold down to who knows what) was disconnected under the manifold. Not sure if I accidentally pull it now or before. If before, It might explain noise, but will see what happens when I get gaskets and put it together.

My Cars
    2013 BMW X5 35i
    And after putting everything back together (with new manifold gaskets) noise is gone.

My Cars
    By the way, I regularly pull intake manifolds and don't change the gaskets. It's a lot more common place than you'd think. Never had any issue, or noise. I bet that hose you found disconnected was the issue.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician