Thread: BIG engine swaps?

My Cars
    hiss by my window

BIG engine swaps?

Has anyone done any big V-8s?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    LS E46
    Big like what? Big like a Chevy 454 or big like a Sonny 959?

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    6.2 but not in my 540.

My Cars
    M-Z3,535i, 320,Vette
    Like this?

Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    YIKES!
    Uh, yeah, big blocks but perhaps without the bogus bug catcher.
    Is that hot mess a photoshop job? If not I suspect all that remains of that poor 8 is it's shape.
    A Falconer 12 would have at least kept the spirit alive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
    Big like what? Big like a Chevy 454 or big like a Sonny 959?
    Both "big blocks"

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    LS E46
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Both "big blocks"
    Yeah, no. Not even remotely the same. 959 looks like a BBC and is definitely modeled after a BBC but saying it’s just a BBC is like saying a SBC is the same as a BBC. 5.3” bore spacing makes a BBC look like a SBC next to it.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Yeah, no. Not even remotely the same. 959 looks like a BBC and is definitely modeled after a BBC but saying it’s just a BBC is like saying a SBC is the same as a BBC. 5.3” bore spacing makes a BBC look like a SBC next to it.
    Sorry, poorly stated by me. I'm well aware of the dimensions of those engines, it's pistons are bigger than BBC bore spacing. They do, from here, look roughly based on BBC architecture but I've never been inside one. Understood that they are worlds apart.
    They are both large displacement and not "small blocks".
    I'm curious about what might have been fit into an actual, intact BMW chassis. That thing looks like it wants to be a Camaro.
    Last edited by ross1; 01-07-2019 at 09:52 AM.

My Cars
    2019 Miata RF, 88 325i
    YIKES!
    Uh, yeah, big blocks but perhaps without the bogus bug catcher.
    Is that hot mess a photoshop job? If not I suspect all that remains of that poor 8 is it's shape.
    A Falconer 12 would have at least kept the spirit alive.

- - - Updated - - -

Both "big blocks"
    The "spirit" of an 8 series? It's a grand tourer with up to a massively huge V12 engine. I don't think putting that motor in it does anything to kill the spirit. If anything, it's probably more reliable.

If you're hung up on the spirit of a car, probably shouldn't be looking at big engine swaps in the first place.
    Last edited by AdamBath; 01-07-2019 at 09:56 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
    The "spirit" of an 8 series? It's a grand tourer with up to a massively huge V12 engine. I don't think putting that motor in it does anything to kill the spirit. If anything, it's probably more reliable.

If you're hung up on the spirit of a car, probably shouldn't be looking at big engine swaps in the first place.
    A car's original purpose/intent/spirit can be retained while adding more power.
    If you take a look beyond the ridiculous dragster engine you'll see a cobbled suspension and "racing" seats too.
    This guy has taken a refined tourer and turned into, well......all it needs is the mullet coiffed driver.

My Cars
    LS E46
    Dude, shut up.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Dude, shut up.
    Will do, just to please you, dude.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    A friends 2002

Blown2002_1.JPG

DSCN2246.jpg
    Last edited by JimLev; 01-13-2019 at 10:30 AM.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I take no umbrage to that one, just big stupid fun there! I had a straight axle big block '68 Dart in my youth. Still, bogus injector hats over carbs? Eesh.
    I'm still curious to know if there any big block installations that aren't screaming "Look at me". An E39 with seven or eight liters appeals to me. Perhaps something that actually fits under the hood and retains the car's original features. Also curious about what others may have done to mitigate an extra three hundred pounds or so up front.

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    I take no umbrage to that one, just big stupid fun there! I had a straight axle big block '68 Dart in my youth. Still, bogus injector hats over carbs? Eesh.
    I'm still curious to know if there any big block installations that aren't screaming "Look at me". An E39 with seven or eight liters appeals to me. Perhaps something that actually fits under the hood and retains the car's original features. Also curious about what others may have done to mitigate an extra three hundred pounds or so up front.
    i'm currently working on a 454 in my 740i. I'm trying to make it along the lines of what your talking about. Not chopped up, drivable and as many of the original features as I can.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...vy-Powered-E38

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by KinkedChrome View Post
    i'm currently working on a 454 in my 740i. I'm trying to make it along the lines of what your talking about. Not chopped up, drivable and as many of the original features as I can.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...vy-Powered-E38
    YES! This is what I had in mind, subscribed to your thread. Good luck I'm looking forward to your progress.
    Nothing like rolling on a little throttle to a big naturally aspirated torque monster. Turbo-schmurbo